• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

recommend a non-captoe, all-purpose black shoe

grenadine

Reaction score
I'd like to find some candidates for a reasonably priced, good looking all-around black shoe. I don't particularly want captoes as the intended usage is more of a wedding/funeral/city night usage rather than business wear but there may be a rare occasion when I would wear them for business.

I already have a pair of AE Colton in chestnut and a pair of AE Cortland in chili(both $169 at the AE outlet btw) and will generally wear those unless a black shoe is demanded. Any recommendations on something that could serve as my single all-purpose black shoe or do people feel that a black captoe is still the best choice for this role?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black monkstrap, i guess.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i actually dont own any black captoes. yet.
an all purpose black shoe should be elegant enough for night outs, and conservative as well for wear at the office.

here are some of my black shoes, yes, i have posted this picture before but as it relates to this question:

IMGP1680.jpg

left to right: ferragamo bit loafer rubber soled, gucci embossed bit loafer, santoni braden penny loafer, gucci plain toe, santoni brenden moc toe blucher, gucci medallion plain toe, sergio rossi wingtip, gucci monkstrap.
IMGP1679.jpg

besides the first and last guccis, all the others you can get for sale at good prices, all below 300. santonis i got for 149 and 90 respectively.

also, if you want something more robust, you can get AE Bradley or something like this split toe, got it in E to make it more robust looking

IMGP1754.jpg

you can get these discontinued AEs sometimes at the Nordstrom Rack.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black wholecut. Maybe this?

MPSBSB_2.jpg

From Charles Tyrwhitt

drake

Reaction score
I like the Edward Green made RLPL Peering.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black whole cuts

billiebob

Reaction score
I second the Tyrwhitt black wholecuts if price is a factor. 50% off they should be $150.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather-soled chelsea boots.

Yes, technically not a shoe.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I like chelsea boots, I wouldn't wear a pair to a funeral (they'd be OK, but not optimal IMO).

I'd suggest black wholecuts as a very versatile substitute for black captoes. I bought a pair of black Grenson Stowe wholecuts for just this purpose, because I wanted a versatile shoe that I could even wear for semi-formal occasions, in a pinch, since I can't justify buying patent leather shoes. IMO, wholecuts can be worn with virtually anything from semi-formal wear, to a business suit, to odd jacket and trousers and some even wear them with blue jeans.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Although I like chelsea boots, I wouldn't wear a pair to a funeral (they'd be OK, but not optimal IMO).

I'd suggest black wholecuts as a very versatile substitute for black captoes. I bought a pair of black Grenson Stowe wholecuts for just this purpose, because I wanted a versatile shoe that I could even wear for semi-formal occasions, in a pinch, since I can't justify buying patent leather shoes. IMO, wholecuts can be worn with virtually anything from semi-formal wear, to a business suit, to odd jacket and trousers and some even wear them with blue jeans.

I agree. Wearing a brown version of those Loake/CT today with jeans...

TKDKid

Reaction score
The aforementioned Grenson Masterpiece Stowe:

(although availability may be a problem now).

Or maybe a v-front derby, like the Crockett & Jones Handgrade Aintree:

(or the Dartmouth from C&J's regular line).

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a black plain-toe for weddings and funerals, among other uses, then you don't, in my opinion, want a monkstrap, Norwegian toe, or blucher (derby) of any kind, but rather a lace-up balmoral (oxford), and one without any toe decoration. Here's my shoe for those occasions--the Crockett & Jones Mayfair, a wholecut. It's a regular-grade C&J and thus less expensive than either a Grenson Masterpiece Stowe (when you can get them) or any Edward Green or John Lobb. This model is available directly from C&J in England for approximately $390 US plus shipping (another $55). (Clicking on the image will enlarge it.)

Incidentally, a few might feel that a wholecut is just a hair too "dandified" (to use a useful continuum that Manton uses in his book) and just a hair too informal. I disagree because others will not see the absence of seams in the shoe, since the vamp and toe are about all that anyone sees below the trousers. (I'd be interested in others' opinions about this point.)

Another, new C&J regular-grade model, the Alex, is very similar (and the same price), differing only in the last shape, being on the new sleek, angular, chiseled 348 last. The Mayfair, on the 318 last, is a little less "dandified" but, in my opinion, still quite sleek, and, in my opinion--for these semi-formal occasions--slightly the more appropriate of the two. You will find a black, plain-toe wholecut from Alfred Sargent (the Pall Mall) too from online sites like Pediwear at a lower price (about $290 plus about $35 in shipping), but, in my opinion, its last is a little less appealing.

You mentioned "reasonably priced," and therefore I haven't mentioned the shoe that would--with expense no impediment--be my absolute favorite for these semi-formal occasions: the Edward Green Ladbroke.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden has two plain toe balmoral shoes. Pictures are available on the shoe mart website. With the current sale there and the possibility of seconds - who knows what the price might be - have to call them to get the number.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads