• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a laptop for me

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about purchasing my first laptop. I've been using a smart phone for years and haven't really felt the need to get a laptop. I just built a somewhat powerful computer (i3-2100-3.1Ghz, 8GB, 1TB, HD5570) and really like it. But I'm moving overseas and even though my computer is in a tiny case, it still weighs around 20 lbs.

But to get a new laptop I'm at a loss. Something that's comparatively powerful is usually very heavy. Everything else seems underpowered. I'd like something lightweight, powerful (comparable to my new computer) and if possible, nicely built/looking. A TV tuner would also be nice. I'm not really concerned too much with price, but I'm budgeting around a grand.

Any recommendations? I would prefer a windows-based system.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
may i point you to this lovely thread the lenovo x220 is really perfect for your needs. Under a grand (sadly no tv tuner), awesomely built (built to mil std 810 F), powerful enough (sandybridge), ridiculous battery life (14 hours for 9 cell, 23 hours for 9 cell + slice battery), IPS screen, potential mSATA drive (which means you can have a solid state drive and and a regular spinning hard drive in the same computer), best keyboard in the industry, all the functionality you want, i would argue the best looking laptop in the industry (but i'm a little biased). lenovo really did a good job

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. I also have the X220, screen is amazing. Also, I suggest getting an i5 processor (2nd gen) with sandy bridge chipset like indesertum mentioned. His review is pretty good.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They'll stretch your budget a bit, but keep an eye out for the MacBook Air refresh coming next month.

Dell just released its MacBook Pro clone, the XPS 15z. This baby comes with a 1080p screen. If you want a TV tuner you have to go with the regular XPS 15. The screen on these models is the best out there.

The Lenovo is a good option but you'll be over budget if you add in the speedier processor.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My budget isn't really set. I can spend more.

X220 seems like a good option, although I really don't like the aesthetics. I'm also not happy about the integrated graphics. I would like to have the option for light gaming.

HP Envy 14 Beats seems good, but it is much heavier than the x220. Also, current models aren't sandy bridge unless you chose the 17" model which is 7lbs.

I haven't looked into the XPS 15z, but I'll check it out. I already own a USB TV tuner, so that could work to fix the problem.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look into the Lenovo T420s then if you want a bigger screen and weight like the X220. It has an option for a higher end graphics card.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you moving to? Are most laptops built to handle the wattage/voltage differences or you might need some sort of converter?

jshadd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Where are you moving to? Are most laptops built to handle the wattage/voltage differences or you might need some sort of converter?

I recommend not waiting until you get overseas to buy. I agree the lenovo x220 is perfect for your needs. Get it before you go because depending on where you are going computer keys are different and it can be a pain to get used to.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ the bad thing about the 420s is that the screen sucks compared to the x220. higher resolution and graphics card yes, but no IPS screen and portability def not as good
Originally Posted by musicguy
My budget isn't really set. I can spend more. X220 seems like a good option, although I really don't like the aesthetics. I'm also not happy about the integrated graphics. I would like to have the option for light gaming. HP Envy 14 Beats seems good, but it is much heavier than the x220. Also, current models aren't sandy bridge unless you chose the 17" model which is 7lbs. I haven't looked into the XPS 15z, but I'll check it out. I already own a USB TV tuner, so that could work to fix the problem.
integrated graphics used to really suck, but with the new sandybridge cores the intel hd3000 is actually pretty decent for gaming.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. it actually performs better than some of the lower end graphics cards in laptops if you want something as durable as lenovo, HP elitebook series are also pretty sturdily built. the new samsung series that are coming out are also very pretty. http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/28/s...laptop-review/ it might be up your alley. you might have to spend a few hundred more than lenovo for the same specs tho

trewsx7

Reaction score
An Apple MacBook, hands down.

I wouldn't wish a Wind0ze PC on my worst enemy.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
^^ the bad thing about the 420s is that the screen sucks compared to the x220. higher resolution and graphics card yes, but no IPS screen and portability def not as good

integrated graphics used to really suck, but with the new sandybridge cores the intel hd3000 is actually pretty decent for gaming.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

it actually performs better than some of the lower end graphics cards in laptops

if you want something as durable as lenovo, HP elitebook series are also pretty sturdily built.

the new samsung series that are coming out are also very pretty.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/28/s...laptop-review/

it might be up your alley. you might have to spend a few hundred more than lenovo for the same specs tho

Thanks for the follow up! The Lenovo looks plenty good for me. I'm leaning towards getting one.

The samsung looks pretty damn awesome too, but is a bit pricey and doesn't have an optical drive. Still, that's one powerful tiny computer.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
^^ the bad thing about the T420s is that the screen sucks compared to the x220. higher resolution and graphics card yes, but no IPS screen and portability def not as good

T420s is pretty light. Weight feels the same as a X220. Screen is LED backlit like the X220 and is 1600x900, its pretty damned good. Battery life is much improved over the T410s. Speaking from real world experience on all 3 laptops.

indesertum also mentioned the Lenovo X1. 13" Screen and has a gorilla glass screen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads