Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recommend a good paring knife

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by HitMan009, Mar 23, 2010.

1. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

Please throw in your suggestion for the best price/performance ratio paring knife.

Thanks!

2. ama

ama Senior member

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

For the money, I think it's hard to beat the Forschner/Victorinox paring knife. $5, at your local restaurant supply store. Takes a keen edge, non-slip grip, simple design.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    For the money, I think it's hard to beat the Forschner/Victorinox paring knife. $5, at your local restaurant supply store. Takes a keen edge, non-slip grip, simple design.
    i agree. i'm a real bear about chef's knives, but i don't find parers to be that critical. i've got an old sabatier that i really like. my absolute favorite was a really old sabatier (pre wwI) that some intern stole.

5. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

I was thinking of upgrading but then was looking at some of the prices. I have a cheap Wustof Gourmet 3" Paring knife that can't really hold an edge for too long but I been using for ages. I can give it a pretty nice edge but the metal is just too cheap to hold an edge for long. I was interested in the Misono but I dunno if I would want to pay that much for just paring knife. Seems like some of you here share the same sentiment.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

well, i was thinking of linking to my really cheap one, but now i find it's not cheap at all anymore. Anyway, here's what i have.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

well, i was thinking of linking to my really cheap one, but now i find it's not cheap at all anymore. Anyway, here's what i have.

Sometimes I think you must be Iammatt.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

you wouldn't say that if you could see my closet. i coudn't even qualify as his sock puppet.

9. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

I have this: http://korin.com/Molybdenum-Paring-K...category=52103 Love it.
    I have this Misono and it's great. I also have a bunch of other paring knives, including Henckels 5-star, Wusthoff Culinaire, Shun Classic and others. The Misono is a favorite. That said, the Forschner/Victorinox can't be beat for the money. I got one for my mom, after realizing that my father couldn't resist sticking japanese pettys into stove-top flames and trying to pry things open with them.

10. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

i agree. i'm a real bear about chef's knives, but i don't find parers to be that critical. i've got an old sabatier that i really like. my absolute favorite was a really old sabatier (pre wwI) that some intern stole.

Im with this guy and thomas. I just honestly dont get much use out of a paring knife, especially for that price. Other knifes, no doubt. But a little baby one...?

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I think I use a paring knife more than any other. Maybe I use a chefs knife more. Anyway, as Kyle said, I have one of those little pointed things foodguy linked. I actually have a couple different ones, but that is the one I use a lot of the time.

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The best one is a sharp one. Consider a knife sharpener. Some complain that it wears down knives too quickly but for the average home chef I think they are ideal. My knives are 10+ years old, I sharpen them regularly and they don't look worn down at all. But man are they sharp!

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

The best one is a sharp one. Consider a knife sharpener. Some complain that it wears down knives too quickly but for the average home chef I think they are ideal. My knives are 10+ years old, I sharpen them regularly and they don't look worn down at all. But man are they sharp!
    there's a lot of truth in that. a well-tended POS knife will do a better job than a misono that hasn't been sharpened since it came out of the box. that's particularly true when it comes to parers.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Thread necromancy.

I see Sabatier knives were discussed here, I used to like them and my paring knife disappeared. I can't really navigate the complexity of Sabatier branding and licensing, which ones were the nice made in France ones? Thiers-Issard carbon? Is stainless steel still ok? If I like french shape but could be fine with trad German ones (Henckels and Wusthof pro/classic lines) should I concentrate on a new chef knife (I chipped/broke my old Henckel) by Sabatier (which ones) and just buy whatever for paring.

note: I like a good, utilitarian knife and don't care about the luxury knife market at all....

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I bought a pretty cool one with a wooden handle. Only to realize after I'd opened it at home that it's not dishwasher safe :fu:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016