• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a Filson weekend bag

brittain

Reaction score
Im looking for a weekend bag that will hold one or two pairs of pants, a couple of shirts, a pair of shoes, socks/underwear/undershirts, and a toiletries bag. Something that I can use to go out of town for a night or two without having to take my regular carry-on roller. This bag might get pressed into daily use as my gym bag. Ive narrowed my search down to the following Filson bags:

Sportsman's Bag, Style 266
18" Wide x 11" High x 12" Deep
Tan-14.jpg

f266_10_lg6.jpg

Medium Travel Bag, Style 246
18" Wide x 13" High x 11" Deep
f246tan_detail.jpg

Does anyone have experience with either?

Tidybeard

Reaction score
I've got the second one and it's a great weekend bag. It will hold an awful lot of stuff but can get very heavy.

It's very solidly put together and the extra pockets on both the inside and outside are really useful too.

I don't think you can go wrong with either so pick the one you like best.

brittain

Reaction score
Just ordered the tan sportsman bag from Crane's.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brittain
Just ordered the tan sportsman bag from Crane's.

Well thanks for the business! Once you get it it would be nice to hear your comments on it.

heffy

Reaction score
sorry to bump an old thread, but I figured it's better than making a new one. Is the Sportsman's Bag small enough to use as a carryon for flights?

ss10guy3

Reaction score
Just grab the medium duffel. Great for checked luggage. If you've got a bit of spare cash, check out the jean shop version.

brittain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heffy
sorry to bump an old thread, but I figured it's better than making a new one. Is the Sportsman's Bag small enough to use as a carryon for flights?
yes, I would say the sportsman is carry on sized. Unfortunately, the main part of the bag was too narrow for me, as I didnt think I could get a folded shirt or sweater in there without it wrinkling. The overall width works, but those two side pockets cut into the main storage area some. I ended up exchanging it for the medium travel bag. Although I havent used it yet, it seems like it will fit my needs perfectly.

Dob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by redmania
http://www.chapmanbags.com/ChapmanBa...alls/NTR19.htm

How about something different?

Just curious - do you have a Chapman bag? I recall ordering one a long time ago and sending it back as it seemed pretty thin canvas and was not at all as stout as the canvas used in the Filson bags. Just wondering if that was also your impression. Thanks. I do like the styling.

redmania

Reaction score
I have and I have absolutely battered it. Its been round the world 4/5 times. I use it for fishing, I've spilt red wine all over it, I've taken it to the beach its as tough as old boots. I will buy a Rambler next. Brilliant bag. Remember it is not the thickness its the quality.

Butch

Reaction score
+1 on Red Oxx. I own two of their bags and they're fantastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads