• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a desk for me?

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I don't understand the allure of a desk without drawers. The look is, um, nice, but functionally it sucks.

Where does one put all the "desky" stuff one accumulates? When I re-started my life and furnished my apartment with other people's dregs and discards, I ended up with a desk with no drawers at all and I hate it.

It's actually a deliberate attempt to minimise the amount of "desky" stuff I have. One or two pens and pencils, an ink bottle, a lamp and my laptop are the only things I want to have living on my desk with any degree of permanency.

Originally Posted by CTGuy
Ditto. You are looking at tables and not desks. IMHO you need to be looking at something a little more functional especially if you are a lawyer.

I actually find the majority of lawyers in firms, certainly, have very small bare desks, to discourage hoarding of files. The practice is to have everything you're not working on with any immediacy kept somewhere central so others can access it. This doesn't always work, of course.

For my part, I have a reasonably adequate filing system at home.

Originally Posted by haganah
I have that chair at home and an aeron at work. I don't find it to be the most comfortable. I think it's the eames managers chair that's a little more padded and shorter that I will buy next.

As for desks, I tend not to go modern and prefer wood that's old, heavy, and solid.

I have developed a bit of a hatred of the standard heavy desk with green top that seems to be ubiquitous amongst lawyers of a certain generation. I've seen some beautiful chambers furnished in such a way, but I'd find them a little claustrophobic for my purposes.

You're probably right on the Soft Pad chair - not quite as striking to look at, but a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Originally Posted by gdl203
Do you need a very big desk? If not, I'm a fan of this Nelson

george_nelson_desk.jpg

I considered that, and it's a great design object, but the multiple nooks bode poorly for my no-clutter approach.

I visited a number of stores yesterday, and was in general overwhelmed by the unhelpfulness of the sales staff. Typically, I had to engage them, rather than vice versa, and even then they provided little information.

While I am admittedly young, and wasn't wearing a suit (nice shirt and jeans, sweater tied around shoulders, mostly because my neck was cold rather than for style), I was still pretty appalled at how much I was stereotyped. I probably looked like a young creative professional rather than a young lawyer, admittedly, but that should make me even more of a potential buyer, if anything.

I was also surprised at how poor they were at picking up on my design literacy - I openly hinted at designers and styles I admired in the hope they would expand, which they seldom did. It may be that I actually knew more than the SAs did about their product.

All I've concluded so far is that I am still absolutely in LOVE with the (non-Monocle branded) Bracher for Fritz Hansen:

Todd+Oxford_black_environ.jpg

And I also like this B&B Italia Maxalto by Antonio Citterio:

MD-001_smscr.jpg

Ironically, for an $11,000 desk, it's called the Simplice.

I couldn't get a price on the Hansen, but I'm sure the answer is too much. Even assuming a budget of, say, $2,000 (which might be generous), everything is coming in WELL over. I'm checking out some vintage stores this weekend, but I gather they're not cheap either...

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a bit much, but I like it.
8998-512237492.jpg

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both lovely pieces, but a mile away from my tastes. I actually use a fold-down in the corner of my master's room, and while beautiful to look at (and matching the rest of his decor), it's miniscule, and gives me little room to work.

EDIT: removed repeat of picture. Minimalism and whatnot...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
I LOVE the Eames desk, but hesitated to mentioned it since there seems to be backlash against iconic furniture:
eames-desk.jpg

How dare you. You do know that it can be found at Design Within Reach, don't you? I scoff.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
Image stolen from here -> http://forum.caswellplating.com/meta...nker-desk.html Vintage SteelCase desk. All business
I quite like the steel desk pictured in the post above. For my home office, I have an L-shaped desk with a wooden top and metal legs. The top is made of a single piece of wood and the desk does not have any drawers. I also have a wooden, three drawer filing cabinet next to my desk. Despite my best intentions, I tend to accumulate clutter on my desk, and I will then periodically sift through it, discard outdated and irrelevant material, and hive the rest off into the filing cabinet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads