• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a color/brand of wax

MurphyCanuck

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been reading up on shoe care and have decided that it's time I start taking better care of them. Please recommend a color/brand of wax for the below loafers. They are officially cognac in color. Also, it seems like an obvious question, but would you recommend using a different brush to apply to black and brown shoes?

Cheers

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
um any shade of brown really, the darker the more change you will get.

I apply with my fingers, to get very thin layers.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
um any shade of brown really, the darker the more change you will get.

I apply with my fingers, to get very thin layers.

I hear that using your fingers is the best method for applying polish. I've not done this, but I hear it really works.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I hear that using your fingers is the best method for applying polish to your fingers.

Fixed.
teacha.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I hear that using your fingers is the best method for applying polish. I've not done this, but I hear it really works.

IT works for me.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Are there not products made of Bees Wax for the lighter leathers?

bc78

Reaction score
IT works for me.

IT does work best but I have a hell of a time getting the polish off my hands. Any tips?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bc78
IT does work best but I have a hell of a time getting the polish off my hands. Any tips?
This is why I've not tried it.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bc78

Rubbing alcohol or just soap and water, hot water and scrubbing. I like only using my finger.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rubbing alcohol or just soap and water, hot water and scrubbing. I like only using my finger.
This is good to know. I'll give it a try.

Avebury

Reaction score

I really don't see the point of that. Like many people, I tend to stretch a thin cotton T-shirt over my fingertip and apply it that way. Same result: controlled application of polish - right amount, right place. Heat from fingertip promoting easy absorption. No mess. I suppose your fingers become waterproofed after a while! Not advisable to use black (Treasure Island, etc).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads