1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend a car for me.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by The Wayfarer, Apr 19, 2008.

1. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Honda Element
    Volkswagen Golf
    Lexus IS300

I would stay away from any BMW, Audi or Benz for $10k... it's going to be pretty rough or pretty old.

Not true. I've had several sub-$10k BMWs that were not rough at all. While they were all at least 6 years old, they drove very well and were excellent values for the price. You are likely to get quite a lot more car for your money when buying an older one. You must have a greater aptitude or tolerance for maintenance and repairs.

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

If you want really stylish, get a BMW E30 325i or 318i (3-series before 1991) for less than $5K, and save the rest of the money for car maintenance.
    These are solid cars and fun to drive, but probably not exactly to the OP's liking. I'm selling my E30 325is in a month or two and lamenting the fact that I will not likely match its fun/cost ratio in any future car purchase.

3. aXis888x

aXis888x Active Member

Grand Junction, CO (moving to Boston or college)
    i would suggest you buy my car, see my thread i just posted in this section. its a 2006 Civic Si, black on black really stylish but good on gas and stuff. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. masayako

masayako Well-Known Member

Used Yaris. I love Toyota. Yaris save gas and it's very lovely looking.

5. masayako

masayako Well-Known Member

Can the Smart car get on freeway?

6. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

My answer to every automotive question is the Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT.

7. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Pre loved VW Golf, Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Toyota Corrolla (boring as hell but tougher than a cockroach)

8. WN2

WN2 Senior member

And I get decent (not great) mileage on it, 26-29 mpg.

That's decent? There are large SUV's with better fuel economy. I also don't understand Prius, since there are many non-hybrid cars with similar mileage. Isn't diesel available in the US or what's the deal?

9. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

That's decent? There are large SUV's with better fuel economy.
    Not in America.
    I also don't understand Prius, since there are many non-hybrid cars with similar mileage.
    Prius is the only hybrid car with a unique body style, so it way outsells other hybrids because of the halo effect (you're a better person, saving the planet, etc). You can't make a statement driving a Honda hybrid with the same body style as a normal car.
    Isn't diesel available in the US or what's the deal?
    Barely. VW used to make a diesel Jetta, MB sells E-class diesel.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

That's decent? There are large SUV's with better fuel economy. I also don't understand Prius, since there are many non-hybrid cars with similar mileage. Isn't diesel available in the US or what's the deal?

That sounds quite high to me. I get about 17.

11. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

Okay, I lied, it's probably more like $20k.

New budget in consideration, suggestions?

I've been browsing AutoTrader and found some rad BMW 3 series between $12-18k and only a few years old.

12. DicDictionary

DicDictionary Active Member

You should get a bike
    You can ride it if you like

13. Countertenor

Countertenor Senior member

+1 on the Honda Fit. But make sure to get the standard.

14. Big A

Big A Senior member

Forget small a fuel efficient, get one of these (this is America, damn it!)

[​IMG]

In all seriousness have you thought about the Scion tC? I know they have a fan-boy racer image, but my assistant has one and I like it a lot. The fit & finish is nice, it looks slick, and it gets great gas mileage. Just don't try to put any creature larger than a beagle in the back seat.

[​IMG]

15. wt888

wt888 Active Member

16. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Okay, I lied, it's probably more like $20k.

New budget in consideration, suggestions?

I've been browsing AutoTrader and found some rad BMW 3 series between $12-18k and only a few years old.

I don't think the 3-series is super fuel efficient, but the older ones are nice (I think the E30 was the pinnacle personally, and you can get one for $5K).

At 20k, you could get a new Mazda 3 which is a nice compact. I always buy used cause it makes no sense to buy new anymore. Mini Coopers are nice, but heavy and lack grunt. A used Honda S2000 or a newer Miata would be nice if you don't need more than 2 seats. The new Nissan Cube looks pretty functional. Used Volvos have a lot of hipster cred.

It really depends on your needs, your personality, etc.

17. wt888

wt888 Active Member

I don't think the 3-series is super fuel efficient, but the older ones are nice (I think the E30 was the pinnacle personally, and you can get one for $5K).

At 20k, you could get a new Mazda 3 which is a nice compact. I always buy used cause it makes no sense to buy new anymore. Mini Coopers are nice, but heavy and lack grunt. A used Honda S2000 or a newer Miata would be nice if you don't need more than 2 seats. The new Nissan Cube looks pretty functional. Used Volvos have a lot of hipster cred.

It really depends on your needs, your personality, etc.

For $25-30k you can get a Ferrari 308 GTS. Zero depreciation and you might even make a few $$ when you sell.

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

For $30,000 you can get a Mercedes Pagoda.

19. wt888

wt888 Active Member

For $30,000 you can get a Mercedes Pagoda.

Yes but they are not exactly fun to drive. Automatic and underpowered.

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yes but they are not exactly fun to drive. Automatic and underpowered.
    They are not Ferraris, but driven at high speeds, they can be rather fun with that swing axle suspension and large amounts of chrome; some did have manual transmissions.