• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a basic 1st pair of cufflinks?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, cuffthis, or any other vintage cufflink expert, do military cufflinks exist?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BR should have some silk knots on discount...

cuffthis

Reaction score
While we're on the subject, cuffthis, or any other vintage cufflink expert, do military cufflinks exist?
Yes, military links do exist. I do not have many in my collection though. If you are looking for some pairs of this type, I recommend giving my friend Michael Rodriquez a call. He has thousands of pairs of links for sale at his NYC shop. http://www.missinglinknyc.com/

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm thinking about cufflinks that were/are actually used by armed forces (or replicas thereof). I'm a huge Ben Silver fan, but his collection is more military-inspired than real. I believe the US military no longer wears French cuffs. I imagine many countries in the past have included them in their uniform but are any countries still sporting them?

Rabbi Mark

Reaction score
For the dress uniform cuff links are actually required (at least by the USMC):

[quoting here from MCO P1020.34F, chapter 3]
3007. CUFF LINKS SETS (MEN)

1. The officer or SNCO gold service cuff links set (may include matching tie clasp) will be worn with the French cuff khaki shirt (Officers have superimposed sterling silver, rhodium-finished Marine Corps emblems; SNCO's have gold-plated Marine Corps emblems superimposed).

2. The dress cuff links and studs sets will be plain gold or gold-plated, of concave design. Cuff links and studs will be worn with evening dress uniforms. Dress cuff links will also be worn with the officers' blue dress uniform.

SNCO, btw, is "Senior Non-Commissioned Officers" if you were wondering. If I'm reading the regs right here, links are required when wearing the double-cuff khaki shirt, which means this reg is not limited to evening dress, or even the blue dress, but for regular khakis.

On the same topic, I have a pair of US Navy cufflinks that I got at a thrift shop which are swivel-backs and have a gold-colored submarine on the outside. One presumes (and my family's Army, not Navy, so this is just a leap of logic) that these are for Navy dress blues when one is in the submarine service.

I also have a pair of links with the enameled crest of the HMS Britannia, the Queen's official sea-going vessel -- sort of like a royal Air Force One for the water. Got them at a RN supply shop in Portsmouth, England, the home of the Royal Navy since 1480.

YMark

Reaction score
Should a jacket ALWAYS be worn with a french cuffed shirt? I've seen a lot of casual shirts lately with french cuffs and would like to know if a jacket is neccessary.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SIlver barbells or knots are probably the best first set of cufflinks, imo.  Works with charcoal and navy (although their not matching with the gold buttons on his blazer may be a problem) jackets, and either are simple enough to be used for eveningwear.
I agree with silver knots.

Get a set of silver knots, then a few silk knots, and you've got quite a versatile collection for not a lot of money.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should a jacket ALWAYS be worn with a french cuffed shirt? I've seen a lot of casual shirts lately with french cuffs and would like to know if a jacket is neccessary
Subject of much debate. According to tradition, yes, double cuffs are formal, and reserved for dress shirts - w/ suit/tie/jacket. That said, you're right, a lot of labels are making casual shirts with french cuffs, terms that are generally mutually exclusive. The past couple of years have seen the rise of many people wearing double cuffs without suits, jackets, or ties (or cufflinks, apparently). Nothing wrong with breaking some rules, but many people think this look, as a trend, is pretty played out.

jekv12

Reaction score
I'm not the enthusiast that others here are, but I've purchased a few pair from Links of London (most in duty free when the dollar was stronger than it is today, though I did get a pair in NYC last year). Some interesting designs, in various metals, including some that have two "ends" for different looks. For example: Links of London - silver So you could get a few looks from one set...and I've seen them on ebay from time to time. Added benefit (for bostoniangirl): Links of London also carries women's jewelery, so once you show the site to B, he might get some gift ideas of his own...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads