• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a Bad Weather Shoe

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, Dainite soled. But I need specific shoes that will fair well in poor weather and look as good as my EGs.

Thx

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I wear:
elmsleywalnutcountryridgewaysolego5.jpg
Country calf, so the wear & tear on bad weather shoes doesn't show. Ridgeway sole for traction. Let me see if I have any actual pics.

emptym

Reaction score
I use these balmoral boots from AS:
sargentbalmoral2.jpg
or shell chukkas from Ron:
imgp3813r.jpg
For about fifteen years before I bought the chukkas from Ron, I had a pair of oiled leather shoes w/ Gore-tex lining and commando soles. They were great, but occasionally slush, snow or rain would wet my ankles and seep into my shoes. Boots it is for me from now on.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are you really that bored?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
This is what I wear:

elmsleywalnutcountryridgewaysolego5.jpg

Country calf, so the wear & tear on bad weather shoes doesn't show. Ridgeway sole for traction.

Let me see if I have any actual pics.

Thanks. That Rigdeway looks dastardly from the profile pic but it's spot on for what I was asking.

Originally Posted by emptym
I use these balmoral boots from AS:
sargentbalmoral2.jpg

or shell chukkas from Ron:
imgp3813r.jpg

For about fifteen years before I bought the chukkas from Ron, I had a pair of oiled leather shoes w/ Gore-tex lining and commando soles. They were great, but occasionally slush, snow or rain would wet my ankles and seep into my shoes. Boots it is for me from now on.

Thanks man. The AS boots are gorgeous, not too keen on the ripple effect of shell, but then again...

Originally Posted by fritzl
are you really that bored?

lol8[1].gif

The reason I ask is because we've moved to a new office space & I said [to myself] I would step up my dress game, but due to the treacherous NYC weather of late I've been pulling out boots (hiking, HH Brown) jeans and chunky sweaters. I see other men in their shoes and think to myself I would never subject my good shoes to this weather. But I look like a slob.

I appreciate all the replies thus far and would appreciate more.

Thx.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never understand galoshes. What if you step in a big puddle?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy

They keep water away from the soles and the stitching. Should work for the OP, as should Alden shell, which seems to like the salt and snow much better than calf.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden Shell PTB on Combat Sole

JohnD356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy

I wear galoshes too. Picked up a cheap pair of Tingelys online (I believe Leffot sells them as well. Swims were too pricey for my taste). I just keep an eye out for big puddles.

I also have a pair of older oxfords that I put a Topy half sole on to wear in the rain/light snow. Good traction and great when you don't want to hassle with galoshes.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what I wear

Alden Longwing on half commando

Trickers Stow

Red Wing GT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads