1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

recomendations for Napa Valley and SF

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by globetrotter, Jan 13, 2010.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

One more thing . . . my cousins always take people up to Coit Tower, not to actually go up the tower, but to walk down Filbert through the "jungle" on the Filbert steps. It's a really unexpected walk if you haven't been there - small houses that are only accessible from the steps, parrots, etc. You end up down at the Embarcadero. If you are in North Beach anyway, you can go up the Greenwich stairs and down the Filbert steps. From there it's an easy walk to the Ferry Bldg.

It's touristy, but fun (if a bit exhausting).

Yes, but be sure to walk down the Filbert steps and not up them. That shit was brutal.

2. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Yes, but be sure to walk down the Filbert steps and not up them. That shit was brutal.

Did you chaff your vag? [​IMG] You flatlanders need to get used to some hills!

3. Big A

Big A Senior member

There are a bunch of adult stores and clubs a couple blocks away. One of them is sure to have some lube. Just start in that area to avoid chafing.

4. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Seriously, i never thought anybody went to El Delfin besides me. That place is very underrated, the volcano dish is very good and the couple that own the place are awesome.

+1000. It's a great place, and the owners are lovely people. My favorite is the camarones al chipotle, the sauce is creamy and spicy goodness!

There's a secret to parking at the Palace of the Legion of Honor - the parking lot on the ocean side of the building, to the south. If you're coming up through the golf course, go past the museum and turn left when you hit the road. Except on the busiest days I've always found a spot there. You can also park at the Lands End lot at the end of Geary Street and walk the trail, eventually there is a fork where you can turn up the hill to get to the museum. It's easier than it sounds.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

One more thing . . . my cousins always take people up to Coit Tower, not to actually go up the tower, but to walk down Filbert through the "jungle" on the Filbert steps. It's a really unexpected walk if you haven't been there - small houses that are only accessible from the steps, parrots, etc. You end up down at the Embarcadero. If you are in North Beach anyway, you can go up the Greenwich stairs and down the Filbert steps. From there it's an easy walk to the Ferry Bldg.

It's touristy, but fun (if a bit exhausting).

thanks, I actually did that one time I was in town on business, so I will take my wife there.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

There are a bunch of adult stores and clubs a couple blocks away. One of them is sure to have some lube. Just start in that area to avoid chafing.

That walk was ridiculous. It was fine going down. Started on the opposite side of the hill on Filbert, walked down to Columbus, then walked over to Cafe Trieste. From Trieste went south to grab some lunch at House of Nanking. Walked back to Columbus and back to Filbert. All that was fine. But after all that walking to trek all the way up that hill. It was brutal man.
    I didn't chafe my vag, but I was whining a lot. My girlfriend kept calling me a pussy. What an asshole that woman is.

7. anon

anon Senior member

For dim sum lunch in San Francisco I recommend Yank Sing in the old Rincon post office building (Mission Street between Steuart and Spear).
    I've heard this is the best dim sum in the US my wife went to Napa recently and liked Cakebread. She also really enjoyed Hess (had a wine/food pairing there). At Joseph Phelps they did some sort of wine blending/education seminar that she said she learned a lot at, and also got to try a $200 wine.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I've heard this is the best dim sum in the US

I've heard it's for round eyes in suits.

9. anon

anon Senior member

I value your input above my own.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I value your input above my own.

I wouldn't want anyone to do that.
    I've heard many differing stories though. Some people I work with say it's great, incredible, and amazing. Other people I know say that it's good but not as good as people make it out to be, and not as good as other places in the city. I have yet to go for myself and find out.

11. binge

binge Senior member

She also really enjoyed Hess (had a wine/food pairing there).

I'm not so hot on their wine, but I think the location, grounds and art gallery are worth the trip.

Be aware that much of the charm of Napa/Sonoma is the outdoor elments: grounds, sun, warm weather, etc. There are reports of the rainstorm system that is coming into the Bay Area now will be dropping 8+ inches of rain on us and will continue to rain and rain for the coming 2-3 weeks. Lots of happy folks in Tahoe, but might damper some of the wine country activities. I usually suggest the tram at Sterling due to the views up there, but with this weather system, I dunno...

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

from my humble experience, YES.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Be aware that much of the charm of Napa/Sonoma is the outdoor elments: grounds, sun, warm weather, etc. There are reports of the rainstorm system that is coming into the Bay Area now will be dropping 8+ inches of rain on us and will continue to rain and rain for the coming 2-3 weeks. Lots of happy folks in Tahoe, but might damper some of the wine country activities. I usually suggest the tram at Sterling due to the views up there, but with this weather system, I dunno...
    It has been raining nonstop in wine country for the past several days. Weather is abysmal here.
    from my humble experience, YES.

Racist.

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Racist.

[​IMG]
    this plate is [​IMG]
    we no eat fly lice wit nood-r!

15. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Globe, if you are going to Cyrus and staying in Healdsburg you might want to think about looping out to the coast for your return trip to SF.
    Napa is East and only sort of on the way back to SF, but if you do decide to go that way, I would check out Calistoga. It is a nice, mellow old school Central CA, type of a town, and if you want to drop $$ there is a SF member that sells expensive watches at a good discount there. Check the B&S archive, he has had a Tiffany ring for sale for some time.
    In reality though for your time frame it's not really worth it to try and do both Napa and Sonoma.

On the other hand you can loop out to the coast via Hwy 116, or Hwy 12 and go south to SF via the coast on Hwy One. This is a truly stunning drive and you can end in Pt. Reyes/Inverness/Tomales bay area just about due west of SF before heading back to SF to stay. There is an Oyster operation called Hog Island that is a good stop and of course Cow Girl Creamery in Pt. Reyes. This is a very beautiful area and an easy afternoon drive, it will take about an hour extra to drive back to the city via the coast but it is well worth it.
    Check out Google maps to get a sense of the area and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area.

16. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

For dim sum lunch in San Francisco I recommend Yank Sing in the old Rincon post office building (Mission Street between Steuart and Spear).
    Blech. Go to Ton Kiang or Shanghi Dumpling.

17. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

NO! Blech. Go to Ton Kiang or Shanghi Dumpling.

A friend took me to Ton Kiang. I thought it was great. We got there right before the rush, which I suppose is exactly when you want to have dim sum.

And NorCal is right, the drive along the ocean between here and SF is absolutely incredible.

18. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

My favorite Chinatown dive was a place called the Silver Restaurant on Washingon Street. It was incredibly cheap, incredibly seedy -- and very good, at least for what you paid. As a college student, I could stuff myself for $8. Later it rose to like $12. It was open for years and years, and then one year I went back -- and it was gone! [​IMG]

SF Matt turned me on to the R&G Lounge, which has better food and the atmosphere and service are like the French Laundry compared to the Silver Restaurant. Much more $$$ though.

For big timer Chinese Restaurants, the two competitors were always the Empress of China Rooftop Garden (very expensive and very bad) and the Imperial Palace (very expensive and quite good). Tommy Toy's is the newcomer to that niche, though by now it is very old. I haven't been in eight years, I think, but I liked it when I was last there.

19. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I spent some time in Napa and Sonoma. Cyrus was incredible...over the top. I also had a fantastic meal in Rutherford (Napa) at Ken Frank's La Toque http://www.latoque.com/ .It doesn't seem to get a lot of press, but it was very elegant and cozy. The sommelier really knows his wines. For lunch, hit up Mustard's Grill - they have a mushroom "burger"; it's vegetarian and the greatest sandwich I've ever tasted. Also, for lunch, consider just getting some bread, cheese, and sausage and sitting outside at one of the vineyards.

20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Ton Kiang and Hong Kong Lounge (formerly HK Flower Lounge), both on Geary, are my favorites for dim sum. Yank Sing is only if you're stuck for options near the financial district, and you shouldn't be stuck for options with the Ferry Building nearby.

I third the suggestion of driving back along the coast - Point Reyes is spectacular. The Pine Cone Diner in Point Reyes Station is a great breakfast or lunch option.