• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recomendations for a nice but inexpensive pen

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here are the requirements:
1. under $75.00
2. Rollarball, this is to sign contracts
3. Not gold
4. Vintage or used is fine
5. Something not ordinary

I have several large contract signings coming up, and I want to have a nice pen, but of course do not want to kill my clothing and shoe budget to accomplish this piece.

If any one has suggestions or has a pen to part with that fits the critera, please post here or pm me?

Thank You

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it was me, I'd buy a Faber Castell or Waterman which have lots of options in that price range. I'd also consider one of the upscale Lamy's, which are always fun to play with and look at. Parker, Cross, and Pelikan also have many models for under a $100, but are quite boring (though they're still good pens).

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got this Lamy pen recently. It reminds me of 80's electronics.

Twinn-Pen-SS-PB.png

Ballpoint & .5 mm

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I would not buy an upscale rollerball--you can buy a nice vintage fountain pen under $75.
True, but fountain pens are sadly not always appropriate in today's contract world were you often need a ballpoint or rollerball for use on NCR paper.
frown.gif
I'm assuming that's what the OP was referring to.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, I guess a fountain pen is an option, however I do not want to deal with ink on my finer jackets and shirts!

Ill look into lamy....any other thoughts?

A cool vintage pen might be good, but I do not know where to start.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am partial to Pelikans. Several lines are in your price range (200, 215, Pura, Epoch, etc) You can check them out here or here or ebay, of course.

fullsize2.jpg

fullsize2.jpg

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
fullsize2.jpg

I have this fountain pen and it is great. I also just bought a $35 Pilot Knight fountain pen and it is pretty good for the price.

I've never used a nice rollerball. The $3 Pilot pens are pretty nice to use though.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best rollerball I've ever used - Pilot G2 Pro fitted with a Mont Blanc rollerball refill. Not a looker, but writes better than anything i've touched.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Space Fisher Pens; good pens and good value.

Karo

Reaction score
Bic.
tounge.gif

I bought a nice little Mont Blanc Meisterstuck black resin with gold trim roller pen for about $150 used. Very good condition too, ppl will easily reconize it once you whip it out.

+1 for the logo. Looks like an open anus.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
True, but fountain pens are sadly not always appropriate in today's contract world were you often need a ballpoint or rollerball for use on NCR paper.
frown.gif
I'm assuming that's what the OP was referring to.

Yes, a fountain pen's ink would bleed through many modern papers.

I don't often see nice vintage rollerballs--I suspect there's no market-- but for $75, I'd imagine a nice modern one could be bought.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like fountain pens more than other pens so allow me to say that a pen can be bought with a very stiff (manifold) nib which is able to write through carbon copies and with ink that not only will not bleed through, but will bind with the cellulose in the paper and therefore be more durable than rollerball or ballpoint inks. Nibs are also expensive looking, and since you're buying this to look expensive, I recommend it.

Also, leaking isn't really a common issue. Caps falling off can happen with any pen.

I do understand that you may just want a rollerball. Many vintage ballpoints have been modified to take modern rollerball and gel refills, a quick inquiry to a vintage pen dealer would probably have you quickly equipped with something that will bring a nostalgic smile to your boss's face.

On the new front, there are many. I vote for the Lamy 2000 rollerball, which are on Ebay for $75 buy it now. I have the fountain pen version of this and it's a favorite of mine. The material is Makrolon, a plastic with an almost woody texture, like ebony. It was designed in the 60's and still looks better than most pens out there. Go get it.

p28726b.jpg

But you should still buy a real (fountain) pen.

alterion

Reaction score
lamy swift- best rolleball on the market imho - the m66 is phenominallly smooth- if only i hadn't lost mine
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads