Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recipe Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Oct 2, 2011.

1. mymil

mymil Senior member

Here's a recipe I made up for really amazing pasta. Enjoy.

Add a fistful of olive oil to a big pan. Slice a big-ass sweet onion and a shallot and sautee over medium-high heat until the onions taste amazing, or until you get really bored, stirring occasionally, about 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a pot of water as salty as the sea to a roiling boil, and cook pasta 3 minutes less than indicated on the box, stirring frequently; reserve 2 cups of cloudy pasta water before draining. To the onions, add one of your favorite pre-cooked sausages, chopped up, or some flavorful mushrooms (like shiitake) if you don't eat sausage. Brown a little. Then add some shiitake mushrooms anyway, even if you used sausage. Throw on a little herbs. Put in like 3 or 4 chopped cloves of garlic. Mix that around. Turn heat to high and deglaze pan with the rest of the glass of red wine you've been drinking while cooking. Put in a large can of the most expensive canned tomatoes you can find, and then half a jar of roasted red peppers. Gently simmer for a while, about 15 minutes, until tomatoes are soft and their acidity is cut. Maybe add a little sugar if it's still too harsh. Add 3/4 cup of pasta water and bring to a boil. Add pasta. Toss to coat, pouring in more pasta water to moisten as needed. Once al dente, remove from heat, toss pasta with one tablespoon of butter. Plate with grated Parmesan or Pecorino. Get people to fall in love with you by feeding this to them.

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

yeah, it's not a good piece of meat at all. if you have access to a good japanese grocery though, you can find berkshire -- or very close -- if you look for the stuff they have labeled as "black pig".

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I can get pretty much anything in Manhattan but buying protein in the city and then taking it home is not something I do often. I did yesterday and it's kind of a pain in the ass. There is a decent but very expensive meat market in Grand Central which sometimes gets Berkshire Pork; that's at least convenient.

4. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I am cooking two pork shoulders to 170 tonight.

5. Manton

bad jew-jew

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I was raised in a kosher house, and so even though I eat pork now I never really developed much fondness for it. Bacon is amazing of course, and the pork confit I had at AOC last weekend was great, but these are being made a for the benefit of a bunch of Texans celebrating a birthday. I never think to make it on my own.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

:confused:

Thank you for that innovative recipe. I would have never thought of it before!

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

is it the whole shoulder? you can take those bad boys to 175 even. go low and slow (like 325) until you get it to 160-165, then pump up the oven to 450 for about 15 minutes to crisp the skin (you are leaving the skin on, right?) and finish the cooking. let it rest for at least 30 minutes. One of the best things you'll ever eat. (bonus treyf-iness: the link is to an EASTER article).

9. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

2 skinless shoulders, and not the whole things I think. Cooking at 325 for eternity. They're marinading right now. Recipe is the Cuban Roast Shoulder from Dean and Deluca. Maybe I'll try your recipe for Easter.

10. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Franz Boas?

11. Manton

Ok, this is too much. First you had to kill Him, now you want to eat pork at His resurrection? Have you no shame?

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i think that's just part of mordy's eagle rock nose-to-tail philosophy. if you're going to kill him, you certainly should eat his pork, too, right?

13. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I don't live in eagle rock, dammit.

14. Manton

Right, Silverlake. No way you would be caught dead in Eagle Rock. As if!

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

sorry, i was referring to the location of the mexican market where he bought the pork.