• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recipe Thread

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Matt, I know you have a good one for these.
WTkRml.jpg

bone them out, make a stuffing with the livers, some bread crumbs and whatever aromatics you want/have, stuff back in, cook in a pan.

This is what I like to do as well. Basically, bone the fish through the belly so it is like a circle when pressed down flat. Marinade the fish in olive oil and saffron for 20 minutes or so, mash the liver with a little butter and tapenade. Saute the fish, then put the mash on the center of a warm plate and the fish on top. Simple is best with rouget.

Also, there were some questions in the other thread about what kind of rouget and from where. There are a lot of different kinds deven in the Med. Three, I believe, at least without counting rouget grondin. You can tell the difference based on whether there is a stripe on the dorsal fin. I think the ones in NY all come from Senegal, which is fine, but not the best of the best. Still excellent fish. Ones imported from France are generally 2-3x as much per pound.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, I boned them from the top, making two cuts on either side of the dorsal fin. Next time I'll try going through the belly. Quite a lot of pin bones, but it is certainly worth the labor involved.

Is it possible to get ones from France? I know around this time is the best for them.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've had whale curry rice and whale jerky before. Why, and why? :fu:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nice or interesting Hanukkah recipes?

An ex-gf of mine's grandmother makes a really good noodle kugel. what's wrong with gefilte?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than latkes and pastrami sandwiches, I've never had Jewish food. Is any of it good?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

Other than latkes and pastrami sandwiches, I've never had Jewish food. Is any of it good?

Jewish cuisine usually resembles that of the regions it comes from, so Ashkenazis like myself were raised mostly on gross Eastern European fare (+Kung Pao Chicken), but Sephardics got great Mediterranean food. Matzo balls and kugel can be very good, but I don't think of them as especially interesting.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, I've never had a matzo ball. I don't know what I am missing.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this counts as an "interesting" Hannukah recipe, but I've been making more vegetable latkes than potato latkes in recent years. It really expands the taste and color range. Most of the root veggies work well. For something lighter, I'll do zucchini and some spinach; adding a little ricotta cheese helps the greener recipes along.

Almost everything I cook these days is vegetable-driven, but I do occasionally get a craving for the gross Ashkenazic treats. A new bagel shop here has Katz's pastrami (attention Philadelphia chowhounds!), and I've been known to make my grandmother's brisket recipe now and then.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MGM, your situation is a shanda.

Last edited:

Quatsch

Reaction score
Pizza - here's the best way to handle it. When I want to make dough the right way I use an adaptation of Jeff Varsano's recipe and when I'm lazy or want a quick fix, I buy dough from Trader Joe's - its good enough. You'll need a large cast iron pan. I have a large rimless cast iron griddle by Lodge, so I preheat it in the oven rather than on the stovetop. However I used to do it in a ~10" cast iron skillet. You want it really hot, but not outrageously hot. It takes some practice to figure out the line between getting a little char on the bottom and burning it. The point here is that the bottom of the crust begins to cook and has a head start on the top of the pizza, and they both end up at the finish line at about the same time.

Move the top rack as close to the broiler as you can get while still having room for your pan. Preheat your oven as hot as you can go for at least a half hour, then throw the broiler on, and when broiler's at max temperature and your cast iron is ready, stretch the dough, carefully put it on the cast iron, top it, and slide it under the broiler. It'll cook in maybe 2-3 minutes. Its important that all the ingredients be roughly room temperature, especially the cheese. For sauce I squeeze the extra juice out of canned san marzano tomatoes and puree it with a little garlic, salt, oregano, and a touch of sugar. This brings the best results I've found short of oven-hacking. With some practice, you'll make small pies with some nice char on the bottom and top, nicely melted cheese, and decent crust texture. As long as you stay minimalistic on toppings, this should give you a reasonable approximation of a Neapolitan or central-Italian pie, depending on how you roll.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads