Recipe Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Oct 2, 2011.

1. alexg

alexg Senior member

Limoncello isn't really a recipe type thing. You just peel the skin off some lemons and let it sit in grain alcohol in a cool dark place for about 2 weeks, then mix it with simple syrup to taste and store in the freezer. The general proportions are about 10-12 lemons per bottle of alcohol, then an equal part of simple syrup. It's important to make sure you don't get any of the white pith in with the skin though, since that makes it taste bitter.

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

OK. I'll try that. Thanks.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

you can "improve" the flavor by using a little bit of vodka and IIRC I've heard people use grappa or some other stuff.

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Looking for recipes for roasted root veg. Something rich, caramelized somewhat...

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

If you can get them, buy chervil roots and crackling fat and some chervil, clean the roots/peel them. Cut them into pieces the size of your choise (probably 1/6 or 1/8).In the oven together with the crackling fat (not too few) at 320°F for 10-20 minutes, until tender. Serve with pepper and chervil. It is indeed pretty rich and really nice tasting. Though probably not exactly what you're looking for, posted it nonetheless.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

FG, great link. Edina, wtf?

Okay, I've made 'em before but always looking to better myself. Simple recipe for pork rillettes needed.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

So, you want to use shoulder and belly, along with fat. The meat should be on the bone, and cut into relatively big chunks. The fat should be chopped. Place all of it, the bones, the meat and the fat, in a pot, add a cup or so of white wine, some salt, bay, thyme, cloves, onion and garlic, and bring the whole thing, slowly, to a simmer. Cook a few hours at a bare simmer until the pork is done, then remove the meat and bones from the pot. Shred the meat, but not too much, while it is still hot. Meanwhile, ladle off a good bit of clear fat from the pot. Now, this part is the trick to a really good rillettes. Take a big bowl of ice and place a smaller bowl, but still big enough to hold the pork easily, and start stirring the pork and gradually ladling in some of the still quite warm fat. Keep stirring until it is cool. Get your wife to help you. You don't need to add too much fat, it is really by eye and taste, but you are trying to create a thick emulsified paste of pork and fat. Then put it in a crock, ladle over a bit more fat, stick it in the fridge and eat about a week later.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Sounds excellent. Thanks.

9. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

Does anyone have a good recipe for whale? Prefferably something low on carbs.

10. SField

SField Senior member

I have not cooked whale but I have eaten it. I'm assuming that you'll be eating minck?

The texture and workability is probably very similar to a leaner cut of beef. I would treat it like a flank steak, marinate it, sear, and make a simple reduction. With something like that, you really want to showcase the protein.

Are you in Iceland or Japan?

11. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

Thanks. I remember my father making it a couple of times when I was a kid, but he poached it in a vegetable stock if i remember correctly, and I didn't really enjoy it too much... Searing it sounds a lot better.

Yeah, it's minke. I don't think it's possible to buy anything else here.. I live in Norway.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

12. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Matt, I know you have a good one for these.
    [​IMG]

13. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

bone them out, make a stuffing with the livers, some bread crumbs and whatever aromatics you want/have, stuff back in, cook in a pan.

14. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I roasted them stuffed with a few herbs from Robuchon and they were excellent

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011