• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recession sacrifices

pitboss12

Reaction score
I haven't made all the purchases I want to because of the economy.

I've held off on buying a G9 as well as a few pairs of shoes. As a matter of fact, I might have to sell some of my British made shoes in anticipation of being laid off.
musicboohoo[1].gif

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
I agree w/the golf sentiment. Just cutting back on golf by half saves a couple hundred a month(green fees, driving range etc).

My dad said his monthly golf budget was staggering...he's going to cut back also.

I know guys who work as machinists that spend 1/2 their pay on golf.

Studio27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thetieguy
There is no recession according to Faux News. I have definitely cut my spending back a great deal.

fixed.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Yeah, bio without a Ph.D is poor pay.

Are you 100% sure about optometry? That is a crappy field in my opinion..

In California the avg pay is about 160k per year. If own practice, usually higher. If you work for costco or something, much less. Good amount for the actual work that is done. If optos get govt to allow treating superficial infections more, then incomes may rise more.

I think the perception that opto is crappy field is caused by walmart and costco.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
In California the avg pay is about 160k per year. If own practice, usually higher. If you work for costco or something, much less. Good amount for the actual work that is done. If optos get govt to allow treating superficial infections more, then incomes may rise more.

I think the perception that opto is crappy field is caused by walmart and costco.

Where is that 160k average figure from? BLS reports 91k median with 49 hour/week workload. AOA has 105k median.

Do you read the optometry forum at sdn? It's downright depressing.

My impression so far is that it's a crappy field because you spend time and money on your training similar to other doctors without reaping the same benefits. You make a lot less money. You have average expected job growth but I think it's worse than that because of rising online eyeglass stores with pefectly good $12 eyeglasses from China. You get no respect. To many people you're the eyeglass guy next to the 1 hour photo guy. If you're in private practice then you're the designer frame salesman. They want to get in and get out. Most of the work involves is this better or is this better. I don't think you'll be doing much actual treatment. This is just my perception of the field.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Average pay for family practioner MD is around $90K. You wanna talk about crappy pay and lack of a return for "investment"

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Average pay for family practioner MD is around $90K. You wanna talk about crappy pay and lack of a return for "investment"

I've only seen 120-135k median numbers for a GP. Even at 90k (do you have the source?), there was an OD posting online who said that pharmaceutical reps won't give him the time of day because he's not an MD.
lol8[1].gif
There's something to be said for those magic letters, most respected profession and all.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Frankly, my pay has seen another hefty increase this year. As I have been saying, I refuse to participate in any recession. We have been cutting back, relatively speaking, on fine dining, wine purchases, and are only taking two vacations this year. We plan to sock an extra amount or so in the bank as while the recession, if there is one, is not affecting us, the tax hikes I see with a Dem POTUS sure as hell will.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Frankly, my pay has seen another hefty increase this year. As I have been saying, I refuse to participate in any recession. We have been cutting back, relatively speaking, on fine dining, wine purchases, and are only taking two vacations this year. We plan to sock an extra amount or so in the bank as while the recession, if there is one, is not affecting us, the tax hikes I see with a Dem POTUS sure as hell will.

yes. I too have not felt the recession, but that doesn't mean I won't in the future. I've learned from the last one in the 90s to just sock away and most of my extravagant clothing purchases were always on clearance anyway...

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

+1. My girlfriend is in premed and the expenses for med school are staggering, to say the least.

You spend so much time and effort, and the returns aren't all that great, at least until much later.

Contrast this folks in Tier 1 strategy consulting firms who studied French art history and international relations and now make about 80-100k starting out. Or people with business or finance who work in i-banks and made a ton in bonuses (to be fair, that is going to be harder in this economy).

In fact, good jobs at top-tier technology firms (Google, MSFT etc.) also pay very well -- out of grad school, you can easily make six figures if you are good.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

We are in the middle of a war. Tax cuts + war = really stupid economic policy.

Jon.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Where is that 160k average figure from? BLS reports 91k median with 49 hour/week workload. AOA has 105k median.

Do you read the optometry forum at sdn? It's downright depressing.

My impression so far is that it's a crappy field because you spend time and money on your training similar to other doctors without reaping the same benefits. You make a lot less money. You have average expected job growth but I think it's worse than that because of rising online eyeglass stores with pefectly good $12 eyeglasses from China. You get no respect. To many people you're the eyeglass guy next to the 1 hour photo guy. If you're in private practice then you're the designer frame salesman. They want to get in and get out. Most of the work involves is this better or is this better. I don't think you'll be doing much actual treatment. This is just my perception of the field.

Other doctors? I think you're confusing optometrist and ophthalmologist. The latter is the MD. The ophthalmologist can fit glasses as well but is also the one licensed to do surgery and treat medical conditions. It's a fairly high-paying field of medicine that's competitive to get into.

[edit]Forgot that there are Doctors of Optometry. Was thinking of an optician. My bad.[/edit]

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02
Golf is taking up too much time and too much of my money these days. The average round here is $100 and takes 6 hours.

Every time I play, I think two more rounds and I could have bought X.

I love the game, but life sometimes gets in the way.

Yes, Golf needs time, money and enthusiasm. But it passes back more than that.

Give me a call when you are in Stuttgart and I will invite you playing a round!

Is it a bentley in the avatar?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
+1. My girlfriend is in premed and the expenses for med school are staggering, to say the least.

You spend so much time and effort, and the returns aren't all that great, at least until much later.

It depends what field you go into. For those going into Internal Med, Family, etc. it's almost not worth it to deal with the massive loans cause your return is not that great after all the years of school, busting your ass in Residency (I feel sorry for my residents and almost dread next year when I will be one), dealing with high insurance premiums, BS insurance companies dictating what they will and will not pay for as well as the constant threat of being sued.

The minority that go into the higher-paying fields like Derm, Radiology, ENT, Plastics, Ortho, etc. will one day have it pay off and lead very nice lifestyles but it almost seems better to me to start off in the workforce earlier with a lower-paying, less stressful, less time-demanding job. My sister is a PT and makes around 90k/year pre-taxes. She leaves her job behind when she's done for the day, doesn't have crazy malpractice insurance, not nearly as high of school fees, and was working after 3 years of grad school (as opposed to 4 years of med school then 3-8 years of residency making roughly 40-60k/year and working insane hours). If you work in things like interest, etc. she'd probably come off better than someone going into general practice.

Contrast this folks in Tier 1 strategy consulting firms who studied French art history and international relations and now make about 80-100k starting out. Or people with business or finance who work in i-banks and made a ton in bonuses (to be fair, that is going to be harder in this economy).

In fact, good jobs at top-tier technology firms (Google, MSFT etc.) also pay very well -- out of grad school, you can easily make six figures if you are good.
Like this...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
We are in the middle of a war. Tax cuts + war = really stupid economic policy.

Jon.

"We"? Why did I always think you were not American?

And taxes are at Level A now. To raise them = a tax hike from Level A. My statement stands, I expect to get reamed in tax hikes if we get a Dem POTUS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads