• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Receptionist doesn't answer phone

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you do about a receptionist at the office who doesn't answer phone calls?

Most of them are buyers, but sometimes, we need to talk to her, but walking to the front office takes too long for us in the back... but she'll never answer phone calls.

what to do?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
What do you do about a receptionist at the office who doesn't answer phone calls?

Most of them are buyers, but sometimes, we need to talk to her, but walking to the front office takes too long for us in the back... but she'll never answer phone calls.

what to do?

Fire her. Receptionists who don't answer phones are sorta of dumb.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You need to find a new Manager of Frontline Communications.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Fire her. Receptionists who don't answer phones are sorta of dumb.
+1 It seems to me that this would be a crucial part of her job. Is it? If so, she needs to be told that it's expected of her, and, if she won't do it, find someone who will.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wtf? job #1 of a receptionist is to, you know, receive correspondence.

Fire her.

Pro tip: don't do it over the phone.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A receptionist is a very important role. It is the first impression your customers have of your company. A warm and friendly receptionist can also get customers in a positive, calm frame of mind. Not answering the phone is plain rude. If you have made that clear as part of their job description, give them one warning and without improvement fire them.

I had dozens of them over the years. The best were an important element of a successful team. I used to love getting comments like , "That receptionist of your is so nice". I knew we had made the right impression with comments like that.

It is hard to find someone who loves that job but they are out there. Everyone thinks they can do the job but most get bored or they don't have the stamina to be upbeat all day long. Some thrive at it.

One bit of warning....if you do find a good one, treat her/him properly. Most people think that a receptionist is some kind of slave that should suck up to them. I would say that the way you treat your receptionist is a reflection of your own character.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
A receptionist is a very important role. It is the first impression your customers have of your company. A warm and friendly receptionist can also get customers in a positive, calm frame of mind. Not answering the phone is plain rude. If you have made that clear as part of their job description, give them one warning and without improvement fire them.

I had dozens of them over the years. The best were an important element of a successful team. I used to love getting comments like , "That receptionist of your is so nice". I knew we had made the right impression with comments like that.

It is hard to find someone who loves that job but they are out there. Everyone thinks they can do the job but most get bored or they don't have the stamina to be upbeat all day long. Some thrive at it.

One bit of warning....if you do find a good one, treat her/him properly. Most people think that a receptionist is some kind of slave that should suck up to them. I would say that the way you treat your receptionist is a reflection of your own character.

So, I understand why she doesn't answer the phone sometimes (sometimes it's the sames sales guy that calls over and over again to see if we want cardboard boxes for our business). That, I can understand to some extent.

What bothers me is when she can see our extension but doesn't bother picking up the phone either that or she's away from the desk for long periods of time.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to fire anyone since I am a new hire... so my next logical question is... how do i bring this up to my boss gently?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a new hire, don't mention it to your boss. Wait till you get moved up a bit and threaten the ***** with termination or **.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
so my next logical question is... how do i bring this up to my boss gently?

How would you want somebody to bring this up if they were talking about you? Don't be Mr Know it all and don't make it personal, make it all about efficiency and performance of the company. Also, do it in a way where the receptionist has an opportunity to change. Maybe the boss hasn't managed her properly and hasn't set clear expectations. That isn't her fault. Or maybe there is something else that you aren't aware of.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you do fire her...just be careful.

Make sure you are truly comfortable with your decision.

Or do you lie awake at night tormented?

Did you park your car out of sight at the neighboring lot today and made sure nobody saw you....just in case?

Are you at peace?

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
A receptionist is a very important role. It is the first impression your customers have of your company. A warm and friendly receptionist can also get customers in a positive, calm frame of mind. Not answering the phone is plain rude. If you have made that clear as part of their job description, give them one warning and without improvement fire them. I had dozens of them over the years. The best were an important element of a successful team. I used to love getting comments like , "That receptionist of your is so nice". I knew we had made the right impression with comments like that. It is hard to find someone who loves that job but they are out there. Everyone thinks they can do the job but most get bored or they don't have the stamina to be upbeat all day long. Some thrive at it. One bit of warning....if you do find a good one, treat her/him properly. Most people think that a receptionist is some kind of slave that should suck up to them. I would say that the way you treat your receptionist is a reflection of your own character.
+1 The receptionist is one of the most misunderstood roles in the company, not only they are the most visible front line role and living embodiment of your company's brand, they are also the first point of contact with the outside world be it face to face or over the phone. I make it a point to be nice to receptionists regardless if it's my own or I'm visiting. Also if anyone is reading this while job hunting, when you show up to the job interview, it begins when you greet the receptionist. Treat them like crap but ace the actual interview, you still won't get the job because they will be asked how you behaved waiting in the lobby. If I had my way, recruiting for the receptionist role should be handled with more care and I would up their compensation to reflect that.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Pro tip: don't do it over the phone.

LOL!
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
If you do fire her...just be careful.

Make sure you are truly comfortable with your decision.

Or do you lie awake at night tormented?

Did you park your car out of sight at the neighboring lot today and made sure nobody saw you....just in case?

Are you at peace?

do you write horror novels or something?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
make sure she isn't banging the boss b4 you say something

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads