• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recently made a Hitler-Jugend cut video:

tesseract

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
1,891
Reaction score
580
i wont even go into how lame this kid is but the appropriate hairstyle for the 12th ss was slicked back as told by the book "uniforms, organization and the history of the waffen ss" by roger james bender.

edit: i am not a nazi, i acquired these books at 12 years old when i went to see some guys huge military museum in his basement.
 

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
14,980
Reaction score
1,044
Hair styling tips from the SS; and jewelry styling help from the Bajorans off of Star Trek.
Originally Posted by Alter
Oh please.
Gaijin, preeze?
 

masshi

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
1,581
Reaction score
314
Originally Posted by ihambrecht
i wont even go into how lame this kid is but the appropriate hairstyle for the 12th ss was slicked back as told by the book "uniforms, organization and the history of the waffen ss" by roger james bender.

edit: i am not a nazi, i acquired these books at 12 years old when i went to see some guys huge military museum in his basement.



I twisted it.
 

Alter

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
4,539
Reaction score
147
Originally Posted by masshi
I twisted it.

Look. I assume that you are trying to be ironic or trying to appropriate something but, really, it is just offensive to want to emulate a nazi haircut.
 

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
14,980
Reaction score
1,044
Originally Posted by Alter
Look. I assume that you are trying to be ironic or trying to appropriate something but, really, it is just offensive to want to emulate a nazi haircut.
And it's just stupid to post it, then say that you "twisted it" (which means it's not even the haircut in question), and then say "be gentle." I've noticed with a lot of my Asian students that the lack of a similar understanding of european/western history makes for some wildly inappropriate situations. Nice kids with screennames or handles like "jewkiller," constant use of the "n" word, etc. Just because they dont' "know" it's inappropriate doesn't mean they won't get the shit kicked out of them the second they go around and start trying to get props for their Nazi haircut. I think he's already a target for that fruity ear sculpture thing he's got... but the "Hey, look at me! I have a Nazi haircut... but it really isn't!" just qualifies him for a Darwin award.
 

Johnny Amiga

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2008
Messages
520
Reaction score
9
Eh, that doesn't even look like a hitlerjugend cut. I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to go around trying to emulate a haircut that does invoke associations with the jugend, but the end result looks more like a regular hipster haircut anyways.

Having said that, I don't think a haircut by itself can be offensive. Obv if you combine a nazi-ish haircut with clothing that references the look, it's a bad idea but in a different context I think it's not too bad. Some people can certainly make it work, it's still just a haircut.

Still, wouldn't go around shouting LOOK AT MY NAZI HAIRCUT.

EDIT: I guess my point kinda is that the whole very short/shaved from the neck, with longer hair on top look has already several times been appropriated by many subcultures. 80's synth, new wave and underground scenes come to mind for example (and certainly again in the last five years or so). It's not just a nazi cut anymore.
 

jjangles

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Hair styling tips from the SS; and jewelry styling help from the Bajorans off of Star Trek.






Gaijin, preeze?


BRILLIANT
 

masshi

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
1,581
Reaction score
314
I honestly don't get what you guys are saying.

It's simply a cut. Cut =/= Styling. The base cut is an HJ, but the styling (as in, how I choose to wear it) isn't so much. I was overdue for a cut, and the HJ base struck me, and I thought I'd make something out of it.

Anyway, point is, technically, it's an HJ cut, but not HJ style. But whatever, only the guys here on SF would have something to pick with that.


Also, I don't understand all of the associating with the past. Quit dwelling in the past - like another guy said, it's just a cut.

Y'all are like the people I knew in high school who'd pick a problem with me because I was Japanese, and barrage me with WWII atrocity mentions as if I were ignorant of the entire thing. Because I totally had a part in that, right? FFS.
 

masshi

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
1,581
Reaction score
314
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
And it's just stupid to post it, then say that you "twisted it" (which means it's not even the haircut in question), and then say "be gentle."

I've noticed with a lot of my Asian students that the lack of a similar understanding of european/western history makes for some wildly inappropriate situations. Nice kids with screennames or handles like "jewkiller," constant use of the "n" word, etc.

Just because they dont' "know" it's inappropriate doesn't mean they won't get the shit kicked out of them the second they go around and start trying to get props for their Nazi haircut.

I think he's already a target for that fruity ear sculpture thing he's got... but the "Hey, look at me! I have a Nazi haircut... but it really isn't!" just qualifies him for a Darwin award.



I can't even grasp what you're trying to go about here.

I'm AMERICAN. Western history is pretty much all I ever learned about in school. But even then, it's not like you need a super deep understanding of something to know whether something is offensive or not.

And I like how you single out Asian students of yours in particular for being ignorant because, well, I happen to be Asian, too, and I guess we're just all the same in terms of ideaologies, knowledge of certain subjects, thought processes, etc., yeah?

Seriously, other than being of the same race, what was your point there?

Anyway, leave it to guys on SF, of all places, to try to preach political correctness and sensitivity.
 

masshi

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
1,581
Reaction score
314
Actually, you know what, fuck it.

I'm sorry if I offended any of you here. I hate getting into arguments on forums. Leaves me in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

Maybe it's because I've grown up here in the S.F. Bay Area my entire life - the liberal atmosphere here has gotten to me, and I just didn't see anything wrong with the cut.

I'm going to leave the video up, though, because I know a lot of people like the cut not for what its associations are, but simply because of the look of the cut itself and they want to see it in motion.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 27 15.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 50 28.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 39 21.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 14 7.9%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 6 3.4%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 10 5.6%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 100+

    Votes: 11 6.2%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,311
Messages
9,196,784
Members
193,149
Latest member
tmmike80

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top