• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Tie purchases

Garfieldthecat

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a picture of my tie purchases in the past couple months.

On the top row (L to R):
Mulberrywood (color is blue/pink), Mulberrywood, Borelli, Borelli 7-fold

Bottom row:
Four-in-Hand (color is a hunter green), 3 x Carlo Franco, and a Ralph Talbott BOC

I must say a big THANK YOU to Chuck AKA Carlo Franco, Jonathan AKA FIH, and David AKA Mulberrywood for making such wonderful ties and for also posting their knowledge and advice on these forums.

Compared to what I have been wearing, there is no comparison
smile.gif
The feel and the way these ties knot are far superior to what I have had. I also purchased a couple of ties from the Tie Bar, but didn't really like the way they felt, or the way my knot tied.

BTW, the cute furry thing in the corner is my Dachsund, Max. He loves attention and wanted to be in the picture.
smile.gif

Attachment 392

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How would you compare the quality between these makers?

Garfieldthecat

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't consider myself enough of an expert to truly be able to compare quality. Plus that the ties are made of different types and weights of silk, and constructed differently make it too hard for me.

My thoughts about them follow (all IM Very HO)

The Carlo Franco ties have more "weight" to them and tie a bigger knot, which would be expected since they are double-4 fold. (more folds = thicker tie = bigger knot, right?)

I like the heavier weight silk woven patterns over the lighter weight screened patterns from Borelli. (my preference, not trying to single out Borelli, since they happen to be the only screened silks)

All ties are way way better then the typical ties that I had before learning about these companies. (regular dept store brands, all with very lightwieght silk and thin linings, and tying a very small knot)

The Tie Bar ties that I have don't seem to tie a good knot, and something about them (I am guessing the lining) makes the ties feel different, almost too soft. I tie a four in hand knot, and it ties a (vertically) short knot, I guess that means the width of the tie is too narrow at the point where I tie to get the correct distance over my belt buckle.

BTW, does the forum auto-add web-links for known vendors? I noticed that viewing my original post has a web link to four-in-hands website that I didn't add myself. Just curious.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garfieldthecat
To be honest, I don't consider myself enough of an expert to truly be able to compare quality. Plus that the ties are made of different types and weights of silk, and constructed differently make it too hard for me. The Carlo Franco ties have more "weight" to them and tie a bigger knot, which would be expected since they are double-4 fold. (more folds = thicker tie = bigger knot, right?)
I understand the difficulty of comparison; I am no expert on the matter either. It's also possible for a tie to be heavier if the lining is very thick. Is that the case with Carlo Franco? I am particularly interested in your opinion of Mulberrywood's ties relative to the others as I find his service to be the most appealing.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh I can't see the pic

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beautiful ties, Garfield. I love paisley!!!!!!

Garfieldthecat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I understand the difficulty of comparison; I am no expert on the matter either.

It's also possible for a tie to be heavier if the lining is very thick. Is that the case with Carlo Franco?

I am particularly interested in your opinion of Mulberrywood's ties relative to the others as I find his service to be the most appealing.

I've not sure about the lining of the Carlo Franco tie, I don't want hurt it by trying to look at the lining.
smile.gif
Overall, I think my CF ties are a little bit thicker then Mulberrywood, but again, they are of a different construction (double 4 vs 3 fold) and I can't judge the weight of the silk. All are great, though!
inlove.gif

I'm wearing the blue Mulberwood tie today, as a matter of fact. It ties a great knot, and I'm thinking of trying some other contruction methods for my next order (maybe try one of his lined 7-folds). I'm wearing a white BD shirt, and the blue really stands out, I've gotten two compliments already on my tie.
smile.gif

Garfieldthecat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Beautiful ties, Garfield. I love paisley!!!!!!

Me too.
smile.gif
When Chuck first posted pics of that tie here (or AAAC) to explain how his ties are constructed, I was hooked and had to get it.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I am particularly interested in your opinion of Mulberrywood's ties relative to the others as I find his service to be the most appealing.

Kent, I have ties from FIH, Carlo Franco, and Mulberrywood. They're all great ties and very different in character.

Since you asked specifially about Mulberrywood: My one Mulberrywood tie is lighter weight silk than the others (I was hooked on the Saiphone Thai silk after David sent me swatches) and David asked me to specify the weight I wanted in the tie (presumably he adjusts the weight of the liner). He also asked me how I wanted the tie to knot. I specified a knot more like Charvet than Carlo Franco and David hit it perfectly. It's a wonderful tie, more subtantial than Charvet, it ties a slightly larger knot and the silk is marvelous. I'm looking eagerly for an opportunity to wear it.

Caesar Augustus

Reaction score
I am actually having a tie crisis right now: the majority of the ties I have are 3.75-4.00 wide. I am worried they look silly these days. I am a pretty skinny, tall guy. I will gladly post photos when I get a chance and let you guys say yay or nay for them. The thing is that a lot of them are really nice looking/ great quality. I do not mind the 3.75s as much, but the 4.00s are a little wide. Thoughts?

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Ties with a wide blade have looked very dated now for a while as the skinny tie trend has got a hold. However the ultra skinny tie is for most a trend and one which I suspect has it's days numbered as it's been with us for several seasons now. The wider, more opulent IMHO blade is a classic, notas wide as the kipper ties of yesteryear or as narrow as the meagre strips of silk we see hanging around the necks of some fashion victims. If I were you I'd wear my wider ties as a statement of individuality, a display of classic couture that has stood the test of time and transcends here today gone tomorrow trends.

johnvw

Reaction score
I do not mind the 3.75s as much, but the 4.00s are a little wide. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Northampton Novice
Ties with a wide blade have looked very dated now for a while as the skinny tie trend has got a hold. However the ultra skinny tie is for most a trend and one which I suspect has it's days numbered as it's been with us for several seasons now. The wider, more opulent IMHO blade is a classic, notas wide as the kipper ties of yesteryear or as narrow as the meagre strips of silk we see hanging around the necks of some fashion victims. If I were you I'd wear my wider ties as a statement of individuality, a display of classic couture that has stood the test of time and transcends here today gone tomorrow trends.

Northampton Novice makes a good point. If, however, you are committed to wearing some ties that are narrower than 4 inches, a tailor should be able to narrow the tie(s) to the desired width. I have had this done, with good results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads