1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recent shopping trip with a friend

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JohnMS, Sep 9, 2004.

1. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior Member

I can't afford psychotherapy right now so of course I turn to the forum. I get so frustrated at this co-worker of mine. He's constantly asking for advice on clothing purchases and then always ignores any suggestions.

He decides he wants to go to Jos Bank today to look at their sportcoats. Ok, he likes the place. Since he had mentioned ties in the $25 range, prior to going I had mentioned the great prices on Talbott Best of Class ties on eBay (compared to what Bank has to offer), showing him many styles at around the $25 price range.

After avoiding a pushy salesperson the entire time, he ends up buying a Bank tie at $25 on sale, a junk tie (in addition to the bland, $68 sportcoat). I know it's his decision, but does anyone else out there have friends who want help shopping and then for some reason always ignore any suggestions and you end up wondering why you're there trying to help?

I know, probably the wrong place for this rant, but I feel better now. Everyone just send me a bill for my session.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sometimes, but generally, no. I've worked with stylists, and the trick is to get people to pick things that they would actually buy, but would otherwise not think to look at, at a venue they instinctively like, but would not have gone to without guidance. If the man like Jos A. Banks, he is probably not going to recognize the quality of a Robert Talbott nor recognize the brand, but he will recognize Brooks Brothers (after all, the old joke is that Jos. A. Banks is Brooks Brothers for the poor.), and the pricepoints are comparable, or at least not outlandishly different. Another thing is that your friend was comfortable with a brick and mortar store, and a conservative one at that Brooks Brothers stores have similar layouts as Jos. A. Banks stores, but are much better appointed - the furniture, lighting, etc... would not be alien to him, but would rather impress him. I bet that you could get him to shell over an extra $20 for a Brooks Brothers tie (less on sale) and maybe even pick upa half decent sportscoat. If he is a bargain hunter, take him to a discounter like Filene's Basement or Loehmanns, both of which carry a lot of conservative businesswear at greatly reduced prices. He will be impressed, save a few bucks, and look better for it.