• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent shoe purchases... sharing pics

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the superb advice and information I've gleaned over the months on this site, I've been taking the shoe plunge recently. I thought I would share some pics as a way of saying 'thanks' to forum members (A Harris, jcusey, and bengal especially). (apologies on the large size of these photos - I think I'm a victim of mega-pixels.) I was in Boston on business and so saved time for a visit to Louis Boston where I picked up these Budapests in shell cordovan:
vass_3.jpg
vass_2.jpg
vass_1.jpg
I've made several C&J purchases through PLAL but by far the most stunning are these Handgrade Weymouths:
wey_1.jpg
wey_4.jpg
wey_3.jpg

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Weymouths are really great, although I personally would hate to wear them for fear of damaging them beyond repair with my clumsiness.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What great taste. If I was to buy two pairs of shoes in the next weeks, those are the exact pairs I would pick up.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

The Vass shoes are unbelievably confortable and the cordovan is very attractive. Shopping at Louis Boston was very pleasant too.

Next up for me are a pair of Edward Green Ryes in burnt pine antique on the 888 last which should arrive by the end of July.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very nice shoes indeed. What's the last on the Vass shoes? It's obviously not Budapest, but I'm not sure what it is.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the "banana"
confused.gif
- according to the book, a Viennese shape.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's the "banana"
confused.gif
- according to the book, a Viennese shape.
Banana has an extremely distinctive shape that doesn't really come through in pictures very well. I'm sure that the shoes will serve you well.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice shoes. I've got to get some of those C&J's -- very elegant and classic. The Vass look especially good as a fall/winter shoe -- cordovan with thick soles.

Tattersall, there's a pair of brand new EG Rye's on EBay right now for something like $425. I have bought new EG's (RLPL Long Acre on last 100) from the seller -- marcey2 -- with no problems.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tattersall, there's a pair of brand new EG Rye's on EBay right now for something like $425.  I have bought new EG's (RLPL Long Acre on last 100) from the seller -- marcey2 -- with no problems.

Thanks for the tip - sadly, not my size - but I will watch this seller for future auctions. English-shoes is also worth observing for Greens and C&Js.

pitonboy

Reaction score
Tattersall: Regarding the lovely Weymouths, what size did you get and what is your US shoe size? That is, did you get a UK size 1/2 or one full size smaller than your US size, and are you happy with your choice? Thanks

JohnMS

Reaction score
Good heavens. Thanks for posting the pictures of the Vass cordovan. I wonder if those are in my $250 price range.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pitonboy: The Weymouths are UK 8.5 E on the 337 last - the fit is perfect. For non-handgrade C&Js I wear UK 8 E and I find the fit is identical.

My comparable size for US shoes (Allen Edmonds) is 9 D. The Vass are sized 42. I seem to fit standard sized shoes quite well - my feet are pretty normal with somewhat of a high arch.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good heavens. Â Thanks for posting the pictures of the Vass cordovan. Â I wonder if those are in my $250 price range.
Hmm - the Vass were pricey ($1,195) but did include the lovely shoe trees. Also, the Louis Boston consultant served me a bottle of water...
wink.gif

JohnMS

Reaction score
Very nice. I need to speak with my wife about skipping a house payment.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm literally obsessing over those C&Js, I'm thinking of buying them for work that starts in September. Would they be too stylish to wear in the workplace? What color suit would they go well with. Right now my only pair of shoes is some black, Bruno Magli captoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads