1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recent shoe purchases... sharing pics

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tattersall, Jun 12, 2004.

1. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Thanks to the superb advice and information I've gleaned over the months on this site, I've been taking the shoe plunge recently. I thought I would share some pics as a way of saying 'thanks' to forum members (A Harris, jcusey, and bengal especially). (apologies on the large size of these photos - I think I'm a victim of mega-pixels.) I was in Boston on business and so saved time for a visit to Louis Boston where I picked up these Budapests in shell cordovan: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I've made several C&J purchases through PLAL but by far the most stunning are these Handgrade Weymouths: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Alias

Alias Senior member

Those Weymouths are really great, although I personally would hate to wear them for fear of damaging them beyond repair with my clumsiness.

3. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

What great taste. If I was to buy two pairs of shoes in the next weeks, those are the exact pairs I would pick up.

4. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Thanks.

The Vass shoes are unbelievably confortable and the cordovan is very attractive. Shopping at Louis Boston was very pleasant too.

Next up for me are a pair of Edward Green Ryes in burnt pine antique on the 888 last which should arrive by the end of July.

5. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very nice shoes indeed. What's the last on the Vass shoes? It's obviously not Budapest, but I'm not sure what it is.

6. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

It's the "banana" [​IMG] - according to the book, a Viennese shape.

7. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Banana has an extremely distinctive shape that doesn't really come through in pictures very well. I'm sure that the shoes will serve you well.

8. kabert

kabert Senior member

Nice shoes. I've got to get some of those C&J's -- very elegant and classic. The Vass look especially good as a fall/winter shoe -- cordovan with thick soles.

Tattersall, there's a pair of brand new EG Rye's on EBay right now for something like $425. I have bought new EG's (RLPL Long Acre on last 100) from the seller -- marcey2 -- with no problems.

9. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Thanks for the tip - sadly, not my size - but I will watch this seller for future auctions. English-shoes is also worth observing for Greens and C&Js.

10. pitonboy

pitonboy Well-Known Member

Tattersall: Regarding the lovely Weymouths, what size did you get and what is your US shoe size? That is, did you get a UK size 1/2 or one full size smaller than your US size, and are you happy with your choice? Thanks

11. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

Good heavens. Thanks for posting the pictures of the Vass cordovan. I wonder if those are in my $250 price range.

12. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Pitonboy: The Weymouths are UK 8.5 E on the 337 last - the fit is perfect. For non-handgrade C&Js I wear UK 8 E and I find the fit is identical.

My comparable size for US shoes (Allen Edmonds) is 9 D. The Vass are sized 42. I seem to fit standard sized shoes quite well - my feet are pretty normal with somewhat of a high arch.

13. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Hmm - the Vass were pricey ($1,195) but did include the lovely shoe trees. Also, the Louis Boston consultant served me a bottle of water... [​IMG]

14. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

Very nice. I need to speak with my wife about skipping a house payment.

15. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I'm literally obsessing over those C&Js, I'm thinking of buying them for work that starts in September. Would they be too stylish to wear in the workplace? What color suit would they go well with. Right now my only pair of shoes is some black, Bruno Magli captoes.

16. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

Tattersall - beautiful shoes - I love that Budapest in Cordovan, though I'm partial to the Budapest last myself.

MikeC -
    I don't think that the Weymouth is a good second shoe for office wear. A 2nd pair of black cap-toes, brown cap-toe oxfords, black/brown plain-toe bluchers or wingtips would all be more sensible choices. Whether they would be too stylish for your new workplace would depend where you work and what position you occupy. I would work there a few months before deciding if you're not sure right now. But you could get the Weymouths now and use it for casual wear - they'd be well broken in by the time you decide whether it's OK for work or not.

As for color matching, I'm guessing the Weymouth would go with any color suit that can be worn with brown shoes: navies, olives, tans,...

17. AJL

AJL Senior member

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the 337 last would fit similar to non-handgrade C&J's, i.e. a full size down from U.S. sizing. Specifically, I just ordered 3 pairs of C&J's, two non-handgrade in 6.5, and one handgrade: the Savile monk, also in 6.5. Do you think this is a mistake and that I should order Savile in 7? I wonder if its being a monkstrap might fit differently, i.e. possibly looser than a lace-up (though my Ferragamo monks fit similar to my lace ups)? Also, I could swear that some here have suggested the 337 last runs a bit longer than some other handgrades.

I'm sure I still have plenty of time to change my order; I'd hate to have to send them back. Opinions?

Thanks,
    Andrew

18. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Just wanted to second Andrew's question. I am very interested in acquiring the Savile, but don't want to be stuck with a poor fit..

19. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Andrew (and Duveen):  perhaps you'd be safest ordering a single pair first to confirm your sizing (Plal has an excellent return policy for first purchases in that they'll pay for shipping one way).  The length of the shoe is basically irrelevant, it's the width you should be concerned with. The handgrades, in particular the 337, run narrow but until you try them on it's just a guessing game  [​IMG]. If you can get yourself a pair of non-handgrades to try on you can be confident that the handgrades will be more snug and then judge for yourself if you take the same or a half-size larger. My C&J Chelsea boots fit perfectly with thin socks - knowing that I couldn't wear thinner socks, I went up half a size for the Weymouths.

20. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

Just wanted to chime in on the Savile. As I just bought four pairs of C&J Handgrades and the Gordon Scott sale I posted about. All were a half size smaller than my normal US Size. Which included the Savile.