• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Sartorialist Looks

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
I don't find the jacket particularly cropped - it seems to be more of a short sizing. It's pretty near to his hands as laid by his sides. The sleeve length appears fine to my European-biased eye, and allows for a neat layering technique with his other sleeves. The colour mix is good, though it seems inadvertently(?) influenced by Tom Baker's Doctor, right down to the scarf. I concur with your explanation for his jacket pull

I don't see what's particularly 'European' about too-short jacket sleeves. At the length they are, the jacket is unwearable unless you wear it with a sweater like he is (and whether that looks good is another issue). Imagine if he were just wearing a shirt under it; he'd be showing more than three inches of cuff! My European tailor would not let me walk out the door with sleeves like that.

The colors are okay, I suppose. Other than the scarf. Brownish jacket, brownish pants, brownish scarf: two out of three may have been fine, but three out of three implies he doesn't know how to match colors. Honestly, I see a dozen people dressed more or less the same as this guy on the NYC subway every day.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ 'Ello, foof. I live in London and see this length of sleeve constantly on the natives, the Euro guys and even myself, so my familiarity with this look is what led to that statement

What colours would you have mixed in? I thought he was smart enough to keep the presentation reasonably minimal. I looked at the scarf in isolation because he isn't actually wearing it, nor should he on an ensemble that lightly coloured (cardie aside)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ 'Ello, foof. I live in London and see this length of sleeve constantly on the natives, the Euro guys and even myself, so my familiarity with this look is what led to that statement

What colours would you have mixed in? I thought he was smart enough to keep the presentation reasonably minimal. I looked at the scarf in isolation because he isn't actually wearing it, nor should he on an ensemble that lightly coloured (cardie aside)

You see too-short sleeves and generally ill-fitting jackets all over the world. It isn't necessarily a favorable fashion or 'European' in any good way just because it may be seen with frequency in Europe. Anyway, like I alluded to already, I doubt a Savile Row tailor would cut you sleeves like that if he were were doing his job. So, which is more European, the way he'd tailor you a jacket, or the way this guy is wearing his?

As for colors: I would ditch the shirt and the scarf. A blue or white shirt would look better with the red sweater he's got on. I'd make the scarf blue, dark plum, or orange.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
My European tailor would not let me walk out the door with sleeves like that.

Your tailor knows he is working for an American. I routinely get handed things the locals would consider normal and have to hand them back.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Easy now, I gave you an explanation of something I'm accustomed to, not an invitation for an e-debate Of course, an example of a Savile Row tailor is far more specifically English than the generalised examples I cited, so that's not exactly the same thing. It also hinges on an implied supposition that everyone with this "issue" has had some sort of direct experience of Savile Row tailoring or patronises one and should therefore not have such sleeves by default Point being - this isn't my bugbear, dude

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Your tailor knows he is working for an American. I routinely get handed things the locals would consider normal and have to hand them back.

Okay, find me a reputable European bespoke tailor that cuts sleeves like that for the locals, preferring to show three inches of cuff, and I'll eat my words.

Of course, an example of a Savile Row tailor is far more specifically English than the generalised examples I cited, so that's not exactly the same thing. It also hinges on an implied supposition that everyone with this "issue" has had some sort of direct experience of Savile Row tailoring or patronises one and should therefore not have such sleeves by default

I think you're conflating popularity with rightness. You may not think the latter exists in any meaningful way, but it's not the same as the former in any case. Even if the 'default' sleeve length in Europe is this short (a point I was questioning earlier), why does that make it any easier on your eyes in and of itself? Americans wear a lot of crap, too. This forum would be a lot less interesting if every discussion was capped off with: "Well, that guy's sweatpants and stained college T-shirt look fine to my American eyes."

Point being - this isn't my bugbear, dude
Okay, you lost me
smile.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of what's considered 'sprezzatura' could also be viewed as being 'wrong' - unbuttoned button-down collars, for example.

Why not shorter sleeves?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
A lot of what's considered 'sprezzatura' could also be viewed as being 'wrong' - unbuttoned button-down collars, for example.

Why not shorter sleeves?

An unbuttoned button-down collar isn't sprezzatura. At least, it doesn't have to be. It's just not buttoning something that was made to give you the option of buttoning it. What would the point be of a button-down collar if you couldn't choose whether to button it down?

The shorter sleeves are silly because, even if they look okay in the current application, they would not look okay in any other. You'd have to always wear a long sleeve sweater under the jacket. When a thing is wrong, it's hard not to see it as looking wrong as well.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would the point be of a button-down collar if you couldn't choose whether to button it down?

Exactly - if you didn't plan on buttoning down the collar, you'd buy a regular shirt.

The shorter sleeves are silly because, even if they look okay in the current application, they would not look okay in any other. You'd have to always wear a long sleeve sweater under the jacket. When a thing is wrong, it's hard not to see it as looking wrong as well.

Maybe that's exactly what he does. Maybe he always wears sweaters with his jackets and likes the look.

Weirder affectations have been known to exist.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An unbuttoned button-down collar isn't sprezzatura. At least, it doesn't have to be. It's just not buttoning something that was made to give you the option of buttoning it. What would the point be of a button-down collar if you couldn't choose whether to button it down?

I think you may be going insane with all the stalking....

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Exactly - if you didn't plan on buttoning down the collar, you'd buy a regular shirt.

But the point is that you may want a shirt with a collar you can sometimes button down and sometimes not. If you played polo, you'd understand.

elgreco

Reaction score
How many hours billed to this debate?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elgreco
How many hours billed to this debate?

I have to pro-rate the total for each poster in this thread after my first post. You'll be getting a PM from me shortly.

elgreco

Reaction score
I'm sure your supervising partner is going to have to write off all your time. Unless, he too has an affinity for Rubinacci..

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
You see too-short sleeves and generally ill-fitting jackets all over the world. It isn't necessarily a favorable fashion or 'European' in any good way just because it may be seen with frequency in Europe. Anyway, like I alluded to already, I doubt a Savile Row tailor would cut you sleeves like that if he were were doing his job. So, which is more European, the way he'd tailor you a jacket, or the way this guy is wearing his?

As for colors: I would ditch the shirt and the scarf. A blue or white shirt would look better with the red sweater he's got on. I'd make the scarf blue, dark plum, or orange.

The way most people wear it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads