1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recent Sartorialist Looks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TRINI, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

That's because it's a fashion blog written by a fashion authority intended for a fashion-minded audience. Readers would applaud a man wearing nothing but a soilt burlap sack if the Sartorialist posted a photo of him.

You mean that a fashion audience is uncritical but more Igent minded people are? That's absurd and the Sart gets as much criticism as anyone else, believe me. They just come from another angle (too many suits, too traditionally minded, etc).

2. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Readers would applaud a man wearing nothing but a soilt burlap sack if the Sartorialist posted a photo of him.

You mean one like what Barbera was wearing?

3. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Are there ever pcitures of people who dress well in this thread, or can I stick to my policy of ignoring it?

Your ignoring skills appear to be about as good as Moo's. No posting to posts you say you ignore. No commenting on posters you say you ignore. If you're gonna ignore, then have the conviction to ignore.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your ignoring skills appear to be about as good as Moo's. No posting to posts you say you ignore. No commenting on posters you say you ignore. If you're gonna ignore, then have the conviction to ignore.

I haven't looked at this thread in months and only clicked on it today because there was no runaway in-crowd, in-joke banter thread to aid my procrastination.

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG] I'm putting you on ignore.

6. robin

robin Senior member

That's because it's a fashion blog written by a fashion authority intended for a fashion-minded audience. Readers would applaud a man wearing nothing but a soilt burlap sack if the Sartorialist posted a photo of him.
    Like this dude? (I actually have the same poncho)

[​IMG]

7. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

[​IMG] I'm putting you on ignore.

I wish I had the conviction to do the same to you, but I'm one of those annoying people who enjoys slowing down to watch the aftermath of gruesome car wrecks.

This forum was quite a bit more pleasant pre-Moo. Can someone quote that, so he can read it and then comment on it?

8. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

This forum was quite a bit more pleasant pre-Moo. Can someone quote that, so he can read it and then comment on it?
    I am here to serve. Just like Kal Penn.

9. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

as you wish.

10. Medtech71

Medtech71 Well-Known Member

Like this dude? (I actually have the same poncho)

[​IMG]

Is Richard Gere homeless now??

11. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am here to serve. Just like Kal Penn.

yes, but what are you giving up?

12. jcc123

jcc123 Senior member

I've been a fan of The Sartorialist for some time, but what's weird about the site is there's hardly ever any criticism. Everyone who posts there gushes over every picture, whether it's sublime or ridiculous. "Oh, I love that man!" "Oh, I wish more men dressed so boldly!" Glad to see there's some smart criticism here!

That's because the idiot who runs that blog won't stand for detractors. It’s all about image. He can’t very well operate a successful blog if people mock him now could he?

Look at MaFoo’s blog. Even he had to start censoring some comments and he’s not even hoping his blog will bring him fame and fortune. OK, perhaps just fame.

13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

zbromer, you are one to quickly change your opinion of another. This is why you are on my ignore list, you two faced bitch. "I didn't intend for the thread to become a pile on. I meant it as sort of a joke. I'm sorry about that. As mentioned, you've been a really great sport about everything. I'll be looking forward to more posts from you. It's been a pleasure watching your style evolve. Zach"

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

zbromer, you are one to quickly change your opinion of another. This is why you are on my ignore list, you two faced bitch.

"I didn't intend for the thread to become a pile on. I meant it as sort of a joke. I'm sorry about that. As mentioned, you've been a really great sport about everything. I'll be looking forward to more posts from you. It's been a pleasure watching your style evolve.

Zach"

When was this from?

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

When was this from?

April 24th, after the Borrelli jacket thread.

16. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

April 24th, after the Borrelli jacket thread.

Dude - a lot has changed since then.

17. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Dude - a lot has changed since then.

Such as?

18. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

zbromer, you are one to quickly change your opinion of another. This is why you are on my ignore list, you two faced bitch. "I didn't intend for the thread to become a pile on. I meant it as sort of a joke. I'm sorry about that. As mentioned, you've been a really great sport about everything. I'll be looking forward to more posts from you. It's been a pleasure watching your style evolve. Zach"
    Yes, I PMed you that months ago when I believed I had unintentionally insulted you by starting the Borrelli thread. I genuinely felt bad, because I usually feel bad when I think I have done harm to someone. That was before you became the insufferable poster that you now are. I have no problem insulting you now, because you have made this forum much less pleasant. As for being a two-faced bitch, well, I am a gemini. It's entirely in keeping with my predestined character.

19. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

You mean that a fashion audience is uncritical but more Igent minded people are? That's absurd and the Sart gets as much criticism as anyone else, believe me. They just come from another angle (too many suits, too traditionally minded, etc).

We've talked about this before: it doesn't appear that the Sartorialist posts many photos of men who are traditionally dressed. You usually have to skip past a half-dozen or so non-traditional outfits before you get to a guy in a suit; even then, the suit is likely a less traditional one.

I think it's pretty clear that the Sartorialist's readership largely approves of whatever he posts. It's rare that anyone strongly disagrees. Moreover, the compliments are usually couched in words and phrases that are vague or ambiguous. They're not really talking about anything in substance; they're just voicing support and attempting to affirm their own fashion sense.

I'm not sure how you define 'fashion', and I understand there are many ways to construe and approach the concept, but for a lot of people 'fashion' just means whatever's fashionable. For them, if GQ or Vogue hypes it, it's fashionable and epitomizes fashion. I know you may not approve of these as credible authorities, but many do. The same goes for the Sartorialist. What is common to all of these authorities is that they announce instead of critique or analyze. They simply tell us what is out there and declare what is good. They don't ever attempt to explain why or justify their point-of-view. This suggests that people are just eating up whatever they're told by the right kind of authority. The universal approval amongst the Sartorialist's readers suggests the same thing.

The iGent is not free of similarly vacuous enthusiasm. I don't think I've ever contended otherwise.

20. robin

robin Senior member

Such as?
    [​IMG]