• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Sartorialist Looks

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's good to see a few Sartorialist photos where the cigarette isn't a significant element of the composition.

It seems to me that the Sartorialist started off as a document of street fashions and styles, executed by a competent photographer who was an enthusiast, a fan, and was refreshing because it wasn't afraid to feature men, people who weren't under 30 and those with less than media determined physiques.

Lately it appears to have morphed into a showcase for a professional "fashion" photographer with the emphasis on the photos and composition and a preference for the mainstream approved body "perfect. A great many of the photos feature the cigarette as an accessory.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
..smoking by women in North America and Europe had long been associated with loose morals and dubious sexual behaviour.

As far back as the 17th century Dutch painters had used tobacco and smoking to symbolise human folly. The only women shown smoking in these paintings were either whores or procuresses.

Similarly in the 19th century women smokers were viewed as fallen women, with smoking the occupational symbol of prostitution.
Indeed cigarettes became a common prop in Victorian erotic photography.

Only rebellious, bohemian intellectuals and artists such as George Sands dared challenge these social mores..

The cigarette in the Sartorialist is intended to signify that these posed idealised sharp models are erotic, rebellious, bohemian intellectuals and artists some how challenging the ordinary.

I see no photos of cigarette packets that display the the warning photos of disease and harm. These would, I presume, not be cool and erotic.

[I'm not clear what countries display these photos on cigarette packets - does USA - EU?]

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
[I'm not clear what countries display these photos on cigarette packets - does USA - EU?]

Canada does. Cigarettes are also $10 a pack.
frown.gif

One possible reason why Shuman may photograph smokers is that smokers are required to be outside, and Shumam's pictures are almost always candid, exterior shots. Also, smoking is more prevalent in Europe than it is in North America. I'd wager that most of his smoking photos are taken on the Continent and not in New York.

Oh, and smoking is cool.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe
Canada does. Cigarettes are also $10 a pack.
frown.gif

One possible reason why Shuman may photograph smokers is that smokers are required to be outside, and Shumam's pictures are almost always candid, exterior shots. Also, smoking is more prevalent in Europe than it is in North America. I'd wager that most of his smoking photos are taken on the Continent and not in New York.

Oh, and smoking is cool.

I guess my point is that these are not candid quick shots. They are clearly posed and any noise or interference with the desired image is removed.

I also assume that Mr S clicks a whole bunch of photos and selects the precise image he wants portrayed.

These are carefully chosen and constructed images.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I guess my point is that these are not candid quick shots. They are clearly posed and any noise or interference with the desired image is removed.

I also assume that Mr S clicks a whole bunch of photos and selects the precise image he wants portrayed.

These are carefully chosen and constructed images.

Agreed. But there's money in what he's doing, and this has been what has changed his approach. Previously his pics were of people in the street - like bald fat man. But now it has changed to fashion insiders. Why take pics of people who can't help your career when you can take pictures of the editor of Vogue and reap the rewards of what that entails.

He gets advertising from his website, he has book sales to consider. GQ has him as a feature each month. There's a brand he's building. So far he's doing a good job, too.

Let's see how long he lasts...

Exit English

Reaction score
Agreed. But there's money in what he's doing, and this has been what has changed his approach. Previously his pics were of people in the street - like bald fat man. But now it has changed to fashion insiders. Why take pics of people who can't help your career when you can take pictures of the editor of Vogue and reap the rewards of what that entails.

He gets advertising from his website, he has book sales to consider. GQ has him as a feature each month. There's a brand he's building. So far he's doing a good job, too.

The thing thats funny is that there are 1000 new street style bloggers popping up every 2 minutes wanting his job and in the case of someone like Tommy Ton, they are actually getting it.

I would sure love to get paid tons of money to take mediocre photographs of well dressed people.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't disagree with what you said.

I don't even disapprove of what he's doing. I was just musing about some of the changes and the style and inclusion of cigarettes. To my mind its just another fashion photographer these days.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
LK wins this thread.

Originally Posted by scking
Those Louboutins make her calves look great. But then again, a $1000 pair of shoes should.

I made my girl last year get a pair and they made her already nice legs fantastic as well. Plus she was petite and loved to be as tall as possible.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777
Label King via Racked:
After reading the comments it's more like Label King on the Rack........Wonder if he's caught Andre's eye yet....that's gonna hurt....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads