Recent Sartorialist Looks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TRINI, Jan 22, 2009.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Flooding in Paris

[​IMG]

When I think someone's trousers are too short, you know they are too short..

Because it's a good look? OMG WTF the sartorialist didn't post a guy in a suit at a fashion event!! Oh Noez!!! I'm so tired of his usual stuff, this, while not being exceptional, is much more interesting.

I have to agree with this. While I'd never wear it, it's interesting in its own way, and a break from the usual stuff.

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I'm angry? Dunno. Seems like your pissed. I'm not bothered either way. Guys dressed like that make me laugh, pants on the ground and all, man skirts, goofy shoes, hoodies, pfff. Subculture? Are pants half way down your ass subculture? Is subculture in the music? Attitude? Tongue rings? The sunglasses? The fauxhawk? Dont make me laugh dude. I dont know whether that kid is 14 or 24. That's a bad sign right there. Look, I know your edgy 'n stuff and your really modern. Wonderful for you. But you're wasting your time trying to educate me on culture or this subculture business. You pose here like you're some bellweather, but like me, your just a guy who likes clothes, no matter how many avatars blowing smoke you try to impress with.
    1) I say you’re angry at contemporary times because you’ve pretty much felt the need to post against EVERY look posted in this thread that wasn’t some traditional outfit. You seem to have a problem with fashion looks that aren’t suits and it has become patently obvious that you don’t know what you’re talking about but are merely rejecting anything that can be categorized as street/fashion/notaguyinasuit without giving it any thought at all. Your inability to appreciate anything outside a narrow aesthetic is symptomatic of your small-mindedness; I don’t dress like the people in MC or the guys in the Sart thread but I do appreciate some of the outfits posted in both and can understand that others might not share my own aesthetic tastes. 2) Yes, exterior signs like, I dunno, tight jeans or saggy pants are signifiers of belonging or at least referencing particular subcultures, it’s not just about music or art or what have you, dress styles are a way to signal belonging in certain groups. The people posted in this thread often play with this (successfully or not) but normally do it from outside complete subcultural uniform. Failing to pick up those cues really make you miss some of the subtleties. 3) Contrary to you I do attend some of the fashion events (think runway shows, not his book signings) the Sartorialist takes pictures at. I am not a big fan of his, do not read his blog and, in the end, we definitely belong to different crowds but I do have a familiarity with designer clothing that truly dwarfs yours, mixed with a theoretical knowledge of aesthetics, art, sociology and other areas that help me examine fashion as something that isn’t created and worn in a vacuum. A couple of times in this thread instead of blindly critiquing I’ve provided information about clothing worn or who the person pictured was. So, no, we aren’t the same, you're the guy that looks at modern art and says "I can do that too, why is it considered great!!??", in other words you miss the point completely thus your opinion is worthless.

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I approve this thread.

- B

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Fuuma , most people do have an understanding of sub-cultures and social tribes but we're talking here of pure aesthetics....

I'm not a great fan of streetwear ,but I can appreciate a great sartorial concept when I see one.

In that particular case ,i do not see anything interesting in terms of shapes ,use of colours, fabrics or patterns.

Labelking is the prime example of someone I do not share with an inch of sartorial connivence but i can still appreciate his sartorial vison and flair.

Your comments usually make sense and your likes and dislikes aren't merely based on a reaction of visceral rejection for anything that isn't what you wear. Tu n'es pas un sale beauf comme l'autre con.

5. Robert

Robert Senior member

Can anybody I.d. Grumpy McPerm's coat?

Grumpy McPerm! Ha ha.

6. Robert

Robert Senior member

[​IMG]

This dude must give great head, because I cannot think of any other reason why his photo would be posted on this site.

Saw that guy outside Walmart tonight, I swear.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

In that particular case ,i do not see anything interesting in terms of shapes ,use of colours, fabrics or patterns.
    I like his look. Not a fan of the shoes but everything else is cool with me. Don't know how you can judge the use of colours on a black & white picture though...

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

1) I say you're angry at contemporary times because you've pretty much felt the need to post against EVERY look posted in this thread that wasn't some traditional outfit. You seem to have a problem with fashion looks that aren't suits and it has become patently obvious that you don't know what you're talking about but are merely rejecting anything that can be categorized as street/fashion/notaguyinasuit without giving it any thought at all. Your inability to appreciate anything outside a narrow aesthetic is symptomatic of your small-mindedness; I don't dress like the people in MC or the guys in the Sart thread but I do appreciate some of the outfits posted in both and can understand that others might not share my own aesthetic tastes.

2) Yes, exterior signs like, I dunno, tight jeans or saggy pants are signifiers of belonging or at least referencing particular subcultures, it's not just about music or art or what have you, dress styles are a way to signal belonging in certain groups. The people posted in this thread often play with this (successfully or not) but normally do it from outside complete subcultural uniform. Failing to pick up those cues really make you miss some of the subtleties.

3) Contrary to you I do attend some of the fashion events (think runway shows, not his book signings) the Sartorialist takes pictures at. I am not a big fan of his, do not read his blog and, in the end, we definitely belong to different crowds but I do have a familiarity with designer clothing that truly dwarfs yours, mixed with a theoretical knowledge of aesthetics, art, sociology and other areas that help me examine fashion as something that isn't created and worn in a vacuum. A couple of times in this thread instead of blindly critiquing I've provided information about clothing worn or who the person pictured was.

So, no, we aren't the same, you're the guy that looks at modern art and says "I can do that too, why is it considered great!!??", in other words you miss the point completely thus your opinion is worthless.

On rereading this, I think it provides an excellent summary of the good folk over at the LL.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

[​IMG]

- B

That's better...

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I like his look. Not a fan of the shoes but everything else is cool with me. Don't know how you can judge the use of colours on a black & white picture though...

On the subject of colours ,you do have a point...

I went mentally for the black and white ...

12. onix

onix Senior member

[​IMG]

- B

+1 for pumps

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

1) I say you’re angry at contemporary times because you’ve pretty much felt the need to post against EVERY look posted in this thread that wasn’t some traditional outfit. You seem to have a problem with fashion looks that aren’t suits and it has become patently obvious that you don’t know what you’re talking about but are merely rejecting anything that can be categorized as street/fashion/notaguyinasuit without giving it any thought at all. Your inability to appreciate anything outside a narrow aesthetic is symptomatic of your small-mindedness; I don’t dress like the people in MC or the guys in the Sart thread but I do appreciate some of the outfits posted in both and can understand that others might not share my own aesthetic tastes. 2) Yes, exterior signs like, I dunno, tight jeans or saggy pants are signifiers of belonging or at least referencing particular subcultures, it’s not just about music or art or what have you, dress styles are a way to signal belonging in certain groups. The people posted in this thread often play with this (successfully or not) but normally do it from outside complete subcultural uniform. Failing to pick up those cues really make you miss some of the subtleties. 3) Contrary to you I do attend some of the fashion events (think runway shows, not his book signings) the Sartorialist takes pictures at. I am not a big fan of his, do not read his blog and, in the end, we definitely belong to different crowds but I do have a familiarity with designer clothing that truly dwarfs yours, mixed with a theoretical knowledge of aesthetics, art, sociology and other areas that help me examine fashion as something that isn’t created and worn in a vacuum. A couple of times in this thread instead of blindly critiquing I’ve provided information about clothing worn or who the person pictured was. So, no, we aren’t the same, you're the guy that looks at modern art and says "I can do that too, why is it considered great!!??", in other words you miss the point completely thus your opinion is worthless.
    So I dismiss EVERY look in this thread that's not a suit?
    Very cool: [​IMG] So so: [​IMG]
    Yes, my opinion sides more with the suit crowd, but so what. It's because I personally find most of today's streetwear looks to be so awful. It's not a matter of me being a hick or worthless, its a matter of taste. While we don't often agree, I think you regularly do provide different angles on the subject matter, but I think your often insulting towards me and others. 15k posts may give you history but has not developed your manners.

14. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

While we don't often agree, I think you regularly do provide different angles on the subject matter, but I think you're often insulting towards me and others. 15k posts may give you history but has not developed your manners.

FTFY.