Recent Sartorialist Looks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TRINI, Jan 22, 2009.

1. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Actually, I think I was looking at the wrong photo. The Rubinacci suit looks nice to me. But I am a small timer.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I can dress like that in the dark and the picture doesn't show the cut of the suit, in fact it looks unflattering (I'm sure it isn't). You're just seeing what you want to see; in reality it's a bad portrait and the cut is obscured by that fact.
    Having seen Mariano (excuse me pocket circle for using his first name,) in that suit many times, I am sure you are right that I am seeing in my minds eye what it looks like in person. Still, the color combination, to me, looks great, and the overall look strikes me as just about perfect. I also have the same tie, though in another color. It is a very light weight wool.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dude, if you can be so arrogant as to constantly assume you see what others don't want to or can't, why can't you stomach the insinuation that you might just be full of it?

Why cannot you consider the idea that MR's style might not be everyone's taste? Are style and taste something that objective that anyone disagreeing with your unbreachable loyalty to the MR aesthetics would be "nuts", "clueless" or a "hater"? You're going off the deep end, dude. This suit and outfit are not everyone's taste - period.

I actually find his outfit alright - nothing that blows me away, fit or style-wise (I know that's the point). I'm just not a fan of the lapels.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Oh please, I'm tired. Don't make me open Photoshop and draw lines. If you can't spot some of the qualities that make that suit special (and eons better than most of the stuff people post here), I have to question what you'd consider a special suit. You can plainly make out how nicely the drape is sculpted around his chest and curves toward his belly. The shoulder line is perfect. He is in motion, yet nothing bunches funny or appears to be shifting out of position. The question is: what don't you see in this picture? I'm more than a little skeptical of your claim that you can dress better than that in the dark, given that you've yet to come even close with the lights on.
    As I said the suit is NOT flattering IN THE PICTURE. I was just commenting on his colour choice, there is nothing amazing about it. It might be great from day to day and he's possibly a good dresser (I assume he is) but he's wearing a light blue shirt, navy stripped suit and some orangey tie and there's nothing to write home about these colour choices. It's a street photo and the lightning is especially unflattering for his face and shoes, making it a pretty weak effort from Sart. The shadows certainly don't help. The photographer also caught him on the phone and it sorta turns it into "busy businessman walking down the street in typical uniform", his serious expression doesn't help. Oh and his shoes seem to have stitching on top and I hate that crap.

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Having seen Mariano (excuse me pocket circle for using his first name,) in that suit many times, I am sure you are right that I am seeing in my minds eye what it looks like in person. Still, the color combination, to me, looks great, and the overall look strikes me as just about perfect. I also have the same tie, though in another color. It is a very light weight wool.
    You know this thread would have been much more interesting if you had made up some stuff about how off the fit of the suit is and that MR told you that he finds it embarrassing but only wears it because he doesn't want to throw it away. Foo's next post would have been epic.

6. itsstillmatt

^^^The fabric is actually nicer than you imagine. It is a heavy, navy hopsack with pretty wide olive stripes. Not amazing, but a real workhorse, and something a cut above your average navy stripe.

7. Fuuma

Ok but try to imagine it's someone you don't know and look at the picture, his expression, his posture, the hand holding the jacket, the shadows on the side of the coat, the colour and shape of his shoes, the way the stripes are sorta fading, the mangled left leg. Would you say the Sart has captured what you like about the guy and his dressing style, is it a good portrait and/or at least a good representation of his outfit?

8. itsstillmatt

Ok but try to imagine it's someone you don't know and look at the picture, his expression, his posture, the hand holding the jacket, the shadows on the side of the coat, the colour and shape of his shoes, the way the stripes are sorta fading, the mangled left leg. Would you say the Sart has captured what you like about the guy and his dressing style, is it a good portrait and/or at least a good representation of his outfit?
    I agree that it is a poor picture, though, to me, his personal style still comes through, but that could be because I can't separate experience from this shot.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Why cannot you consider the idea that MR's style might not be everyone's taste? Are style and taste something that objective that anyone disagreeing with your unbreachable loyalty to the MR aesthetics would be "nuts", "clueless" or a "hater"? You're going off the deep end, dude. This suit and outfit are not everyone's taste - period.

It's one thing to say something is not to your taste, and quite another to say it is easy or that you could surpass it without effort. I thought the distinction was obvious.

Here's what I see:

[​IMG]

There are a lot of gentle curves at play. The drape creates depth so that the suit can have shape without severe lateral waist supression (notice the darkness around his waist). Yet, you wouldn't call it 'drapey' or baggy in any sense. The fact that nothing sticks out is part of what makes the suit special.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is leaving your monkstrap undone on the same level of fugazzi sprezzatura as leaving collar button carefully undone?

I'm working on sprezzaturing my trousers fly

Of all your posts, I think this is my favorite. [​IMG]

11. Fuuma

I think the forum posters who leave their collars undone look good doing it though...

12. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Of all your posts, I think this is my favorite. [​IMG]

I think the forum posters who leave their collars undone look good doing it though...

I think this thread is veering into bukkake sprezzatura.

13. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

14. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Foo, that's kind of creepy...[​IMG]

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

As I said the suit is NOT flattering IN THE PICTURE. I was just commenting on his colour choice, there is nothing amazing about it. It might be great from day to day and he's possibly a good dresser (I assume he is) but he's wearing a light blue shirt, navy stripped suit and some orangey tie and there's nothing to write home about these colour choices.

What's there ever to 'write home about' when it comes to color choices? Does it have to be a surprising color combination to be excellent?

It's a street photo and the lightning is especially unflattering for his face and shoes, making it a pretty weak effort from Sart. The shadows certainly don't help. The photographer also caught him on the phone and it sorta turns it into "busy businessman walking down the street in typical uniform", his serious expression doesn't help. Oh and his shoes seem to have stitching on top and I hate that crap.

If this isn't looking to hate, what is? You guys are always complaining about stiff, unnatural photos. Here, you have a guy walking and talking on his phone, as natural as can be. Yet, you don't like the expression on his face? The shadows are bothering you? Give me a break.

You can critique the quality of the photograph all you want, but I think that's merely an attempt to evade discussing the style of the man captured in it. Moreover, if you think it's such an untelling photo, why are you so quick to pronounce that you could easily do better?