Recent Sartorialist Looks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TRINI, Jan 22, 2009.

1. jet

jet Persian Bro

That dude just styled on 99% of MC.

2. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

Honestly, can't blame him and anyone else would do the same in his shoes.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't make fun of him. Price he pays for selling out.

3. Spats

Spats Senior member

I can't take it anymore. I just looked at "The Sart," and I wonder, "where is anyone going to wear all those cropped trousers?" They look like refugees from the thrift store with the afternoon off to go fishing.
    And it's not just The Sartorialist. SF is guilty too. Pants are supposed to have a break. If you want to wear jeans, go buy jeans. If you want to show off your hardware, go to the beach. But for chrissakes, I don't want to see your ankles and I probably won't like your choice of shoes, either. This clown-costume as way-to-go has got to stop. Guys nowadays are clueless enough as it is; it is a cruel trick to get them to buy a proper suit and then irreparably ruin it by cutting the pants too short.

Whew, I feel better now. S.

4. jcc123

jcc123 Senior member

Who's going to his book signing at Barney's?

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You're joking, right?

6. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

You're joking, right?

I'm a little curious about SartoriaLUST, though.

7. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

I can't take it anymore. I just looked at "The Sart," and I wonder, "where is anyone going to wear all those cropped trousers?" They look like refugees from the thrift store with the afternoon off to go fishing.
    And it's not just The Sartorialist. SF is guilty too. Pants are supposed to have a break. If you want to wear jeans, go buy jeans. If you want to show off your hardware, go to the beach. But for chrissakes, I don't want to see your ankles and I probably won't like your choice of shoes, either. This clown-costume as way-to-go has got to stop. Guys nowadays are clueless enough as it is; it is a cruel trick to get them to buy a proper suit and then irreparably ruin it by cutting the pants too short.

Whew, I feel better now. S.

Thank you.

8. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

Pants are supposed to have a break.

Says who? A range similiar to that shown below has always been the option. I agree about pants above the ankle, but no break has been legitimate for at least 60-70 years.

Break types

* Full break: Occurs on a pant that extends in the back to the top of the shoe heel (or further).
    * Slight break: Will be about 3/4 to 1 inch shorter than a full break.
    * No break: The pant is just long enough in the front to touch the top of the shoe without creating any bend (break) in the fabric when you are standing normally and looking straight ahead (not bending and looking down at your shoes).

9. Spats

Spats Senior member

Break types

No break: The pant is just long enough in the front to touch the top of the shoe without creating any bend (break) in the fabric

I agree, such a type exists, but it doesn't look very good on a suit or pair of tailored trousers, IMO. Lately, it seems, designers have been going to this to A) call attention to their wares, and B) make kids who grew up wearing jeans feel comfortable buying and wearing a pair of tailored pants. There seems to be a movement afoot for what had been an "extreme" end of the spectrum with regard to the break to become the new norm (i.e, little to no break) and the designers now have to roll up the pants legs on their models to attract any attention to their stuff. Follow at the risk of feeling like an idiot in a couple of years, I say. An idiot who owns a lot of unwearable, expensive tailored suits. Caveat emptor. -Spats

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

11. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

I agree, such a type exists, but it doesn't look very good on a suit or pair of tailored trousers, IMO. Lately, it seems, designers have been going to this to A) call attention to their wares, and B) make kids who grew up wearing jeans feel comfortable buying and wearing a pair of tailored pants. There seems to be a movement afoot for what had been an "extreme" end of the spectrum with regard to the break to become the new norm (i.e, little to no break) and the designers now have to roll up the pants legs on their models to attract any attention to their stuff. Follow at the risk of feeling like an idiot in a couple of years, I say. An idiot who owns a lot of unwearable, expensive tailored suits. Caveat emptor. -Spats

What does it have to do with jeans? A lot of people wear their jeans very long.

12. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

i wear jeans with stacks, and pants with no break...

im just a victim of fashion hype though

13. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Is it wrong to wear jeans with about as much break as my dress pants (that is little)? I'm not a fan of stacked jeans or full break. Both seem sloppy to me.

14. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

sigh...i get that the idea behind style is to master the "rules" and then tweak them to suit your personality, but this is just stupid: [​IMG] The tie outside the jacket? What's next? "OMG, HE'S WEARING HIS SOCKS OVER HIS SHOES!"

15. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

The facial hair (WTF IS IT?>????) on the other dude annoys me even more.