1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recent purchases

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by minya, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

i figure i am "richer" now than ill ever be--all the money i spend on clothes is earned by myself, but my parents/scholarships cover my 50k tuition... in the future that tuition becomes living expenses and ill be really poor [​IMG] everything is affordable now, if cheap is the wrong word

2. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

I just meant that getting in on good sales at places, having connections to get you discount at stores, hustling at discount clothing stores like c21, filenes, last call, etc..., keeping tabs on buy&sell and supermarket, keeping an eye on ebay, etc....

3. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

I just meant that getting in on good sales at places, having connections to get you discount at stores, hustling at discount clothing stores like c21, filenes, last call, etc..., keeping tabs on buy&sell and supermarket, keeping an eye on ebay, etc....
    oh my bad, i thought you meant hustle as in the amount of cash he maeks http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hustle

4. Nil

Nil Senior member

I thought chrono implied Kunk was a drug dealer.

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Kunk wishes he pulled down drug dealer money. Hell, i do too. Also, proxying is a nice way to earn some extra scratch. I did that a bit in florida for people living out of the US who couldnt' get intl shipping. I wish there was something in boston i could proxy or resell but the only things i have is a barneys, h&m, stels (which has an online store), and Alan Bilzerian which is basically Atelier but more refined and sartorial (if that makes sense).

6. Desi

Desi Senior member

reminds me did Kunk ever get that Calvin Klein tron jacket?

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

cost and value are pretty much directly related to your budget/circumstances. if you're wearing CCP and eating chef boyardee, you're not stylish, you're an asshole.

i would venture i own 3 or so pieces of jil, none bought at retail, 8 pieces of ro, ditto, and a lot of mmm and raf that I bought at at least 70% off. dressing like a manequin or lookbook when money is not an issue takes no great effort IMO. it's more impressive to match high end pieces with cheap h&m/uniqlo basics and make ot look expensive. shoes and leathers are the areas i really don;t think you can cut corners. unless gordon gecko types are inspecting for canvass, you can get an h&m suit for $200 that is slim and looks great and that will look like shit after a few seasons of heavy wear, but...

Nigga, don't diss The Chef of you gonna git it!![​IMG]

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

with shoes i think 400 is the most one needs to spend to get something of the best quality for what they are after i think 50% of the people on SF with lobbs bought them for less than 500, though retail they are like 1k more than AE
    So you're going to find me Corthay, Vass and CCP for that price?? Some brands are massively produced (for their niche) and easy to find on discount, some aren't.

9. cmsmith

cmsmith Senior member

our legacy proper collar, grey merino wool
    patrik ervell baby alpaca cardigan in turquoise melange

How's the OL Proper Collar, was thinking of copping from Tres Bien Shop this week. What's the fit like? and which color did you go with?

10. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

I got a aubergine colored coat with "fire fighter" metal clasp closures from Fay. Its nifty.

11. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

helloooooo patrik ervell, baby alpaca cardigan my camera doesnt pick up on it well, but it's a mixture of a few blues and some green. barney's bh [​IMG] [​IMG] my OL proper collar is a size small and the p2p is 18", i wear an xs in the chunky shawl cardi one, fs santa monica [​IMG]

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Kunk wishes he pulled down drug dealer money. Hell, i do too. Also, proxying is a nice way to earn some extra scratch. I did that a bit in florida for people living out of the US who couldnt' get intl shipping. I wish there was something in boston i could proxy or resell but the only things i have is a barneys, h&m, stels (which has an online store), and Alan Bilzerian which is basically Atelier but more refined and sartorial (if that makes sense).

Alan Bilzerian is a few leagues above Atelier. I'd say that he is at the same level as a Maxfield, in that he has been breaking new ground for decades, including introducing Yamamoto to North America (among other Japanese designers,) and he can't be pigeonholed into any category - which is very rare for any specialty store. He carries James Perse alongside Kiminori Morishita alongside (apparently - it was after my time) Engineered Garments. I'd say that his only weakness is in denim - he told me years ago that he wasn't really into denim, and although he has brought in some good brands, it's clear from talking to him that his knowledge and passion for denim is not at the same high level as it is for high fashion.

You could probably do a brisk business proxying sneakers from Cncpts in Cambridge and from Bodega, but it's tough if you don't know your kicks. You could probably also proxy stuff from J Press for Japanese people really into really real Ivy League stuff. BTW, you should make regular stops at the consignment shops on Newbury. There are usually slim pickings for men, but sometimes, you can find some real gems.

13. mellowfellow

mellowfellow Senior member

kelvin, i really like the color of that ervell cardigan. What size did you end up getting?

14. Largo

Largo Senior member

Grabbed a dark brown herringbone suit from the Duckie Brown sale.

I have to say, it actually all seemed terribly wrong. I take an elevator to a penthouse in a hotel to buy some clothes, unwittingly engage the designer on the fit and construction of said suit, which they then enthusiastically sell to me at over 90% off. I was enthusiastic at the time, but something about it seemed wrong....

15. jet

jet Senior member

kelv you spot any fair isle sweaers for me?

16. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

i recall a pretty crazy junya x cdg one, didn't see the other colourway of the ervell fair isle anywhere

mellow, i got the s!

17. asobu

asobu Senior member

Love the Ervell cardigan in that color. I want it.

18. snake

snake Senior member

Not a fan of the ervell cardi but I like the OL one, looks nice.

19. Dsquared

Dsquared Well-Known Member

My new jacket,from yoox [​IMG] and this one bought a week ago [​IMG]

20. StreetSmarts

StreetSmarts Active Member

Got a cardigan from Uniqlo for $50. Not bad for the price, no pics though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.