• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
On a side note your dagger points toward the ground when your arm is relaxed at your side. Do people ever do it the opposite so that the dagger points toward the ground when they raise their arm or is the way you did it "standard"?
eh.gif

I've always felt that tattoos need to follow some basic rules of gravity....so a dagger pointing upward (when arm is relaxed) tends to look unnatural, just like faces should always point towards the center of body, not away from it (towards the back)

not an official "rule of tattooing" but just tends to flow better visually

I did see a tattoo a long time ago where some guy had lettering on his forearm's underside (forgot what it said but it was not nice words) done upside down, as you mention, so that when his arms were raised they read rightside up. It was one of those phrases where basically if he's beating the crap out of you, the tattoo is readable and makes sense.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I've always felt that tattoos need to follow some basic rules of gravity....so a dagger pointing upward (when arm is relaxed) tends to look unnatural, just like faces should always point towards the center of body, not away from it (towards the back)

not an official "rule of tattooing" but just tends to flow better visually

I did see a tattoo a long time ago where some guy had lettering on his forearm's underside (forgot what it said but it was not nice words) done upside down, as you mention, so that when his arms were raised they read rightside up. It was one of those phrases where basically if he's beating the crap out of you, the tattoo is readable and makes sense.

Thank you for your response. What you say makes sense. I had never thought of the faces should look "toward" the body. That makes a lot of sense.
smile.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. What you say makes sense. I had never thought of the faces should look "toward" the body. That makes a lot of sense.
smile.gif

no prob. of course I understand that art/images are interpreted with the onlooker's own personal experiences behind it, but the reactions like Daveboxter's I never get....I can understand not liking an image, but when value judgements like "you'll regret it" get thrown out along with a host of irrelevancies then the gloves start coming off. btw, the head is supposed to be an "asian head". my other one is blatantly "asian" in a nice stereotypical way...this new one is admittedly less *****-y

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no prob. of course I understand that art/images are interpreted with the onlooker's own personal experiences behind it, but the reactions like Daveboxter's I never get....I can understand not liking an image, but when value judgements like "you'll regret it" get thrown out along with a host of irrelevancies then the gloves start coming off.

btw, the head is supposed to be an "asian head". my other one is blatantly "asian" in a nice stereotypical way...this new one is admittedly less *****-y

I have no problem with that but that is the reason I feel that sometime in the future you may regret it. I am not saying you ever will but in today's PC environment it may be seen in a "bad" way by someone, somewhere.

Good luck!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I have no problem with that but that is the reason I feel that sometime in the future you may regret it. I am not saying you ever will but in today's PC environment it may be seen in a "bad" way by someone, somewhere. Good luck!
I hear ya. fortunately I dont work in a PC enviro, nor are any of my friends "PC"
smile.gif
I' m a pretty confrontational dude IRL, so this is just an extension of my personality in that sense, it's all good
wink.gif
anyways, back to everyone's purchases (some of which will be bigger regrets than any tattoo I ever get heh)....

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I' m a pretty confrontational dude IRL, so this is just an extension of my personality in that sense, it's all good
wink.gif

teacha.gif
I learn something new every day I'm in this hellhole.

gawkrodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
What are these? They're gorgeous...

Charles Tyrwhitt (made for them by Loake) brogue boots.

And yes, they're gorgeous!

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
BAN01286_215888.jpg

BoO @ 40% off...
yeah...

axe this, sold out

now i have $140 more bucks to KOP other stuff
i really need a blue buttondown oxford with impeccable fit

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RRL has a blue OCBD that's a staple item in their RRL shops that is pretty good. The only qualm I have with it is that it has a locker hook. A razor blade or exacto would take that right off, though.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Buy Jcrew on sale for about $30, then have your alterations folk take it in, crop it and add darts for another ~$30.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
The RRL button down isn't really slim fitting though. Try Rugby sized down. The only difference between the two (other than the cut), is that the RRL shirt has mop buttons and costs $75 more.

Smells Like Poor

Reaction score
axe this, sold out

now i have $140 more bucks to KOP other stuff

It'll probably be back for the next sale. I ordered two items from their last sale that were supposedly sold out and now they're back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads