Recent purchases

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by minya, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Pickups over the last month or so:
    Steven Alan grey suede sneakers (thanks timpoblete)
    White painted hi top JV chucks
    Custom red suede/parchment hi top chucks
    YMC reversible jacket
    Nom de Guerre revolver t
    Uniqlo striped supima cotton ts
    Krane Walter brief
    Alternative Apparel t (didn't like the fit on these at all and the collar was shit)
    Academi slim straight in grey
    Seasons 1-3 of The Office
    I'll try to get some pics up, but the mac camera sucks. Camera should be the next thing I buy.

2. gmku

gmku Senior member

I have two Stetsons - one for winter and one for summer. The Stetson "Open Road," the signature hat of both Harry Truman and LBJ. I bought one on a road trip years ago and wore it during the trip then ended up selling it to a vintage store. I regretted selling it for years then found the felt hat on ebay last year (apparently they're highly sought there). I just got the straw on yesterday for summer.
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I'm torn. I still think they're very nice hats. Just not sure I wanna drop the coin they're asking.

And a friend of mine said I'd look like a cowboy.

3. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

I really like those hats.^ I've wanted a black hat with a wide? brim lately, but not a fedora, something like it.

I didn't plan on buying anything today, but I picked up this Jil Sander sweater, looks cool up close:

[​IMG]

And then the cute sales guy gave me a free Dries Van Noten spring 08 book:
    [​IMG]

Which I thought was nice.

4. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Did you get it at Barneys?
    Take it back, Tuesday it will be 40% off.

5. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I really like those hats.^ I've wanted a black hat with a wide? brim lately, but not a fedora, something like it.

The thing about the Open Road is that it's a very short brim for a western hat, but slightly wider than a fedora, to it strikes a nice compromise. I like a hat to be practical also - I want it to make some shade if I wear it to the beach or to the farmer's market on sunday afternoon. I also like implied western vibe without going all-out country singer style.

6. xchen

xchen Senior member

I also like implied western vibe without going all-out country singer style.

+1 I don't mind coming to the line usually but I don't want to cross it.

7. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Did you get it at Barneys?
    Take it back, Tuesday it will be 40% off.

No, I got it at Saks Mens store in Chevy Chase. Damn, I hate paying full retail.

The thing about the Open Road is that it's a very short brim for a western hat, but slightly wider than a fedora, to it strikes a nice compromise. I like a hat to be practical also - I want it to make some shade if I wear it to the beach or to the farmer's market on sunday afternoon. I also like implied western vibe without going all-out country singer style.

I know absolutely nothing about mens hats, there's a specific one I'm looking for that I saw on someone, I can describe it, but I haven't been able to find something like it on any website. I like that too (in bold) as long as its mixed with things that are the antithesis of western.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

RS orange sherbet sweatpant shorts and red/white zig zag tshirt

9. gmku

gmku Senior member

I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but what about a 30 dollar canvas hat that imitates the look of a fedora. I'm looking at something in the Duluth Trading catalog they call "FDR's Summer Hat." Obviously it's not in the same class as a Stetson, but would it be an uncool choice? Am I better to spring for 5 times that for a much nicer hat?

10. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's no reason to spend a ton of money on a hat if you're not even sure you'll wear it often. I got both of those hats above for about $100 combined. For what you're looking for just get a no-name hat that you like.

11. gmku

gmku Senior member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm still on the fence about it. It could make a nice addition to my wardrobe. If so, I don't wanna go with something that looks cheap. I want more than a poolside or work in the yard kind of hat, in other words. & wow, that's a great price!

12. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm still on the fence about it. It could make a nice addition to my wardrobe. If so, I don't wanna go with something that looks cheap. I want more than a poolside or work in the yard kind of hat, in other words. & wow, that's a great price!

You can make cheap clothes look like luxury items if you can rock it. Just because something's inexpensive doesn't mean it will look cheap.

13. gmku

gmku Senior member

Very true. It's just one of those things. For 30 bucks I get a serviceable hat. For a little more than twice that, I start getting into a classier serviceable hat.

This kind of thing can drive me nuts.

14. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

[​IMG]

15. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

RS orange sherbet sweatpant shorts and red/white zig zag tshirt

Please not together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.