• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nope, Solovair. A bit better than Docs. Made in UK, better leather (but still not great),Goodyear welted, and still have the wood shanks that Docs removed when they outsourced years ago.

edit: I can tell the difference in leather immediately. These will take a bit longer to break in than I'm used to
To make it totally clear - this is the factory that used to make DMs back in the day, before the company went global, forgot its roots and quality control, and outsourced everything overseas. DMs were once "Doctor Martens by Solovair."

thanks guys, good to know

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how do solovairs fit?

It's been 15 years since I've worn Docs, but, seems the same. I'll have to settle into these to be sure though.

edit: I noticed a microtear on the tongue of the left boot, so it will be a while before I can let ya know how they settle in and fit because I'm returning them for an exchange.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had to jump on the AE sale bandwagon. Got these in black too. Nice to have shoes that just fit out the box w/o having to buy inserts or heel liners. woo

Mi0jGsP.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a year of mostly lockdown with less focus on fashions than on long daily walks, I've found that I prefer the more rigid trail runners for this kind of thing, over soft normal running shoes - though I may have overdone it.

Based on good experience with Salomon from tramping a month in New Zealand many years ago, I first got these two:

Salomon Outline Prism
1619213533719.png

and Salomon XA Pro 3D v8
1619213594582.png

- but then I came across On and got these:

On Cloudventure
1619213677908.png

which are the best of the 3 (for me) and turned out to be my favourite purchase in a while.

Liked them so much that I also got the Goretex version for those extra rainy walks:

On Cloudventure GTX
1619213801583.png

though I'd only recommend these if you like to get out in the rain, as they're noticeable less comfortable due to the unstretchy nature of Goretex and the much worse breathability.

Will probably also pick up the very soft and comfortable, no need to be laced, On Cloud below, just for lounging about:

1619214005917.png

Last edited:

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a year of mostly lockdown with less focus on fashions than on long daily walks, I've found that I prefer the more rigid trail runners for this kind of thing, over soft normal running shoes - though I may have overdone it.

Based on good experience with Salomon from tramping a month in New Zealand many years ago, I first got these two:

Salomon Outline Prism
View attachment 1598760

and Salomon XA Pro 3D v8
View attachment 1598763

- but then I came across On and got these:

On Cloudventure
View attachment 1598764
which are the best of the 3 (for me) and turned out to be my favourite purchase in a while.

Liked them so much that I also got the Goretex version for those extra rainy walks:

On Cloudventure GTX
View attachment 1598765
though I'd only recommend these if you like to get out in the rain, as they're noticeable less comfortable due to the unstretchy nature of Goretex and the much worse breathability.

Will probably also pick up the very soft and comfortable, no need to be laced, On Cloud below, just for lounging about:

View attachment 1598768
I wore Salomons for a while, but thought they all felt like soft runners. I always recommend Salewa for trail runners/hikers. Most comfortable shoes and boots I’ve ever worn on the trail.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore Salomons for a while, but thought they all felt like soft runners. I always recommend Salewa for trail runners/hikers. Most comfortable shoes and boots I’ve ever worn on the trail.
The hiking or trail runners from Salomon felt too soft to you? (They also do normal, soft runners, though not very many). Either way, being nearly as light as a running shoe, but with just enough extra rigidity in the sole to avoid fatigue while on uneven terrain (compared to soft soled runners), is what I'm looking for. And especially the On Cloudventure does that perfectly for me. Thank you though for the Salewa recommendation, I've never come across those in any outdoor shop here in Copenhagen.

Also, a PSA for anybody wanting to check out shoes from On: on their site under 'On Classics' you'll find outgoing models at a nice discount. With the introduction of the new version of Cloudace (their top of the line runner) a few days ago, the outgoing version was moved there. Ordered these yesterday, even prefer them to the new model.

1619387857473.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads