• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aliquot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
i spent $3,000 applying to grad school. coulda had a rick

frown.gif

Mine was $30 - are you saying that if you don't get accepted you'll be out $3k?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
$3,000? ****. How many schools did you apply to?

i've talked about this in another thread, but yea bout that much. 10 schools, heard back from 5 so far and only one acceptance.

Originally Posted by Aliquot
Mine was $30 - are you saying that if you don't get accepted you'll be out $3k?

can only go to one school, out the $ regardless.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
wow i knew about delayed shipping but its 100 more? is that due to apple starting higher or are you factoring exchange rate difference?

hey 500 for a macbook (sounds like you used for awhile) is pretty good but yeah you could just keep and use as a beater comp. i love apples resale value.

KRW price: 1,550,000W
JPY price: 108,000Y
USD price: $1199

There's about $100 between the USD price and the price everywhere else. Kind of normal nowadays. They have to run the stores through a third party trading company I think.

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I had a white MacBook and hated it. Convinced Apple to replace it with the 13" alu MacBook (the only one without the Pro moniker) and I'm still loving it. What a great little machine.

I believe for all intents and purposes (there may be one or two tech specs taht differ but I doubt it) the last revision of the white MacBooks before unibody MBP's (my MB is the white 2.4GHz core duo, etc etc) is the same as the first run of the aluminum bodied 13" MBP they ran after that, with a different case and the DisplayPort. There were hardly any changes beyond the casing. I am actually considering getting the LED display to match the MBP eventually though, that thing is sexy. Huge waste of money, but yeah.

I don't really care at this point about performance stuff though; I've never maxed out a hard drive, I've experienced lag when running PS and some other stuff but never to the point my life was ruined, and I can do the regular stuff just fine on anything modern, computer replacements are functional to me, I get them when a computer dies. Usually I'm lucky and that happens when a new one comes out, it takes about 2.5 years. I might say something different when the new form factor comes out next year, but for now I think I will happy with the new MBP for doing some 'work' on and doing my regular stuff as I've always done for the past 15 years I've been online.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OT, but motherfucking tickets to Jeff Mangum, in October. hipster christmas comes early!

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Damn yo, I spent less than that getting my job, and that includes plane tickets and hotels.

WTF? I've never spent anything in order to "get a job". Most companies I've dealt with will even pay for your travel expenses as part of the interview process.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Damn yo, I spent less than that getting my job, and that includes plane tickets and hotels.

I am surprised they made you pay for that

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
$3k for applying to grad schools is about what I spent, but about half was traveling for me. Don't think that figure is really out of the norm.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
WTF? I've never spent anything in order to "get a job". Most companies I've dealt with will even pay for your travel expenses as part of the interview process.
Originally Posted by DLester
I am surprised they made you pay for that
It's a pretty unique process. Articling interviews are heavily regulated by the law society and take place within the span of 1 week (actually monday - thursday for the interviews themselves). Really, of the 100-200 applications a 7 sister firm in a given city will get, they have only 2 days (monday-tuesday), practically speaking, to actually complete their interviews, and those have to be completed before 5pm each day. Evenings on each day are usually spent hosting a reception for the promising interviewees. Wednesday day is for 2nd interviews to further trim down the field, and wednesday night generally a dinner with 4-8 applicants (some do one dinner on Tuesday and another dinner on Wednesday). Thursday morning mops up any 2nd interviews that couldn't be got to on Wednesday (usually the lower-down-the-chain candidates), and Thursday afternoon / Friday are when the meetings on deciding who to hire get into full swing.

Call day is Monday or Tuesday the following week. Until then, no one is allowed to ask any candidate whether they'll accept a job, who else they're interested in working for, etc etc. But the bar is so tight knit (particularly here) that firms scout and find ways around that rule. Ie, one of the directors of the hiring committee at the firm I work for was married to a lawyer at another firm I was interviewing with and so had some sense of the lay of the land.

I applied to about 50 law firms in multiple cities. You fly in the day before and fly home (depending how it goes) some time before Friday. The big players each interview probably 40-50 applicants to begin with. If they all put everyone up in a hotel and paid for flights to and fro it would cost an awful damned lot.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I believe for all intents and purposes (there may be one or two tech specs taht differ but I doubt it) the last revision of the white MacBooks before unibody MBP's (my MB is the white 2.4GHz core duo, etc etc) is the same as the first run of the aluminum bodied 13" MBP they ran after that, with a different case and the DisplayPort.

Yeah sorry, I was talking about the non-unibody white model. The aluminum is worth the upgrade imo.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
$3k for applying to grad schools is about what I spent, but about half was traveling for me. Don't think that figure is really out of the norm.

Really? what did you go to grad school for? 3k sounds pretty insane unless you're applying to 15+ schools and taking multiple cross-nation school visits.

When I applied to law school it cost about$40-80 to apply to a school, plus some schools had an option where if you completed the application online the app fee was waived.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Yeah sorry, I was talking about the non-unibody white model. The aluminum is worth the upgrade imo.

I had one of those non unibody white models. I liked it, but it was definitely flimsy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads