• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

noob in 89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t someone just talking about doing the same thing with pants...having a couple of patches sewn-on instead of paying $600 for Kapital or whatever?

I guess people care less about ip when it “only” concerns patch placement.

Hypocrites!

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bro my mom has a sewing machine I can even order the patch from Japan to make it authentic and I’ll only charge you $99

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like have them copy the design or have them make you something getting their own design? If it's the former that's just un policed IP theft. Not a huge deal but pretty much you are saying hey if I see a cool design I like I have someone make it for me on the cheap because I can't afford it.
No I didn’t suggest copying. Although I have seen that done (mostly Eastern Europe and Middle East in my experience) and its always slightly off like you can tell it’s not legit.

I guess I’ll explain further. Let’s say you want to buy diamond earrings drops or hoops whatever, you go knot Tiffany and they ask X which is a lot more than the cost of the diamond and gold. The problem in my mind there is unless it’s a super unique design you are just paying for the name. That’s what I have a huge problem with and most often I can get something for much cheaper and better quality from a jeweler made or sometimes they have things in stock.

Anyways as always people start making random comparisons that weren’t what I was talking about.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I didn’t suggest copying. Although I have seen that done (mostly Eastern Europe and Middle East in my experience) and its always slightly off like you can tell it’s not legit.

I guess I’ll explain further. Let’s say you want to buy diamond earrings drops or hoops whatever, you go knot Tiffany and they ask X which is a lot more than the cost of the diamond and gold. The problem in my mind there is unless it’s a super unique design you are just paying for the name. That’s what I have a huge problem with and most often I can get something for much cheaper and better quality from a jeweler made or sometimes they have things in stock.

Anyways as always people start making random comparisons that weren’t what I was talking about.
Honestly it just wasn't clear to me what you meant. Ultimately it's a subjective call but I'm sure you can appreciate how someone can obsess over small details (all the variants of Moto leathers come to mind). I'm not sure if Jewelers in hand have very good fashion pieces. And sure if you can design something that's better by all means do it. But that's still not really stressing a uniquely desirable design

NYLON

Reaction score
Yes, I picked them up a few minutes ago at Nepenthes NY. I believe they were released in-store today. I have been tempted for a few years and finally purchased today.
Did they also add Ultracush insole for the slip ons again? (like the last EG vault release...the checkered slip Ons.)

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
These forces and these Wangs (which were a super steal). Done with shoes for the rest of the year unless if i find Johnston and Murphy tassle loafers for a good price.
Screenshot_2019-08-11-13-11-45-1.png

Screenshot_2019-08-11-13-19-34.png

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@sinnedk don't you own rolex? arent you just paying for the rolex name? how does rolex tell time different than a seiko?

you get it?
Sigh, time pieces and jewelry although similar are different so that comparison is just not on topic. That’s the problem people keep trying to compare things outside of jewelry which is what I was talking about.

Honestly it just wasn't clear to me what you meant. Ultimately it's a subjective call but I'm sure you can appreciate how someone can obsess over small details (all the variants of Moto leathers come to mind). I'm not sure if Jewelers in hand have very good fashion pieces. And sure if you can design something that's better by all means do it. But that's still not really stressing a uniquely desirable design
Ok do this, when you propose to whoever in the future let’s revisit this convo after you go check an engagement ring at tiffany. You’ll get my point better. :)

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh, time pieces and jewelry although similar are different so that comparison is just not on topic. That’s the problem people keep trying to compare things outside of jewelry which is what I was talking about.

Ok do this, when you propose to whoever in the future let’s revisit this convo after you go check an engagement ring at tiffany. You’ll get my point better. :)
bruh hopefully ill be an attending by then so can make it rain a few stacks :p

But more seriously I understand what you are saying but thats true for any fashion/design item. Hell even heritage brands like the real mccoy, production and material costs are like 5% if not less of the selling cost. Pretty much any product ever is subject to this. If you wanted, you could find anyone to replicate an item for you.

What sets products apart is the design for suitable nebulous quality (and sometimes not even that) which is then protected by copyright law. Ive always wondered why people go after counterfitters so aggressively if there is suuuucha big qual difference.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also in what world are watches not jewelry? They have almost 0 functional value in a world of cell phones and digital watches other than as an object that is aesthetically appealling and can be worn on your wrist. It's pretty much a bracelet that tells time. Aka jewelry.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.