1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

Gonna need some more photos

2 people like this.
  2. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

In a nutshell: a lot of startups go nuts when they get a big chunk of money to spend that they didn't work for. A lot of great furniture is often bought with the rationale of "We need to attract good employees, and so we need to look the part/have an attractive office people want to work in".

Of course, it's bullshit. It's done because it's really easy to feel flush and spend money when you didn't earn that money dollar by dollar, and especially if you just went from an living in a garage to an angel investment of $500K to a Series A of $5MM to a Series B of $20MM in the span of 3 years.

People want to work with other good people, and for a good salary, making a product that can go somewhere. There is a minimum amount that you need to put into an office to make it workable, but I have never heard of anyone non-stupid accepting or rejecting a job because "the office furniture was so nice/terrible". It's like saying that people are more likely to hire you if you are wearing Attolini (excellent) vs. Southwick (good, serviceable).

1 person likes this.
  4. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

Point in case: Powa

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11327341

Got $100m in investment, spent a ton in very expensive offices in London, NY, Hong Kong...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  5. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thanks to some encouragement from @nahneun. Decided to make it a reward for finally nutting up and doing my taxes. Larger-than-expected return didn't hurt, either. Homeownership FTW.

3 people like this.
  6. absolem

absolem Member

[​IMG]
    first schneider piece

4 people like this.
  7. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

this happens so often. its also due to the people running the startups being very young and not thinking about spending. sometimes if the startup is successful eventually some more seasoned people will be hired and slow that down.

crazy how much money is being thrown around. a good chunk of these startups are BS business and won't last.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

We are in a tech bubble - anyone who says otherwise is ignoring the obvious signs and/or willing an eventuality to NOT be the case. The fundamentals of a LOT of VC backed tech companies are simply not sound, and business plans are based on growth projections for markets that, taken as a whole, are physically impossible. There are a lot of sectors that have "some" growth potential, like menswear, but for a significant number of these to be successful and have 100%+ YoY, men would have to be wearing 10 shirts, 5 jackets, and 10 watches, at a time, and continue to buy these things, at retail.

tldr: There is no way that the fraction of startups that fail is not growing, which means that the bets that VCs are making are getting longer and longer.

2 people like this.
  9. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

10. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

We are definitely in a tech bubble which has been growing for some time. As someone who works in IT (as a bunch of guys here I guess) that has had me in "savings mode" for a while. Even the CTO of the company I work for told me to save money a few days ago because of what's coming.

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

As the owner of two pairs of those W+H shoes, I have to say that at $380 versus say $420/430 for CP's, the look make sense as a bit more rugged and all that but the quality is far behind. I've enjoyed wearing both my pairs but if I'd actually paid $380CAD I'd be a little pissed. Like so much of W+H, they're still decent, but probably 20% overpriced. I got mine for closer to $200 and at that price it's fine.

12. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Well-Known Member

Found a few cool pieces on Century 21.com. Much better brand selection than before and at lower prices than Yoox. Theres some Silent, Margiela and Masnada which i personally liked a lot Oh and a few Haider Ackerman pieces as well including a dbl breasted linen sport coat

All 3 are Transit for under $260

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

$152 shipped, so I feel pretty good about them price-to-value-wise. I have a couple of other pairs of W+H high-tops, and I agree that I'd shell out more for CP training boots, which is probably the closest equivalent model. At the same time, CP doesn't come out with training boots as often, they're not as widely available, and they retail for maybe $100 - $150 more than W+H highs, so it's hard to find them at a price I'm willing to swallow (or find them at all, most of the time).

I guess I'd say CPs are a little nicer, but I'm not sure I can articulate why. CP leather is generally a little tougher and feels slightly more durable, particularly the lining. W+H high-tops are a little chunkier and more rugged-looking, though, so they're easier to wear with jeans with a wider leg opening.

14. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

where did you get these?

1 person likes this.
  15. metranger8694

metranger8694 Well-Known Member

Silver Ben-Wa balls?

1 person likes this.
  16. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

i haven't purchased any cp since 2011 or so back when you could get em for under 200, but i did recently pop into a few stores to check em out and definitely got the sense that leather quality has fallen. even what they called the premium cp now feels like mic docs compared to the buttery smooth ones i had. but with so many companies putting out sneakers on the same soles i guess there are many more options to choose from.

17. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

9 people like this.
  18. Ragechester

Ragechester Well-Known Member

"you slunk out?"
    [​IMG]
    "you get in that ass Larry"

5 people like this.
  19. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Jill from Totokaelo with the crucial code. Jeans so comfy.

20. Caveat

Caveat Well-Known Member

@Superb0bo @zissou I got those trousers custom made from the Leder store in Berlin (they were sold out but had some fabric left), but I believe you can find them at some of the .jp stockists from the list I posted in the Leder thread.