1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is one of those "purchased-before-and-it-didn't-fit-but-liked-it-so-much-I-had-to-hunt-down-and-buy-again-in-a-larger-size" items. You know what I mean! Cheers to Lorcan for the original tip. British khaki Bedford.

[​IMG]

25 people like this.
  2. coolron

coolron Senior member

Carpe Diem
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  3. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

So the Blackmeans thing showed and its real dope, but as I suspected a touch small.

My shoulders are slightly bursting out and I can't really zip it all the way. FYI their size 3 is definitely more like a 2 / Small in most JP brands, even on this piece which is looser than their regular leathers. While the sleeves look long, I think they're supposed to be even looonger (and worn cuffed if total hand envelopment is not desired).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If I don't end up keeping it for the sizing, will definitely get another Blackmeans piece though, look and feel in person is everything I wanted. Hardware, finishing, the knit section (slightly less 'bright' in person) are all great.

16 people like this.
  4. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Doesn't look tight. Perhaps it will stretch out a bit?

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Wait how thick/exact colour (can pantone :p)? I have an old one in reg cotton but this looks better.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Dude, I'm not sure where you got that @hoodog was being a douchebag. He made what I read to be a very innocent remark that just speaks to the point that we are all inspired by classic design. There are some designs that are iconic, to the point where everyone does a version of it, and the language of that particular piece can and should be considered a part of the commons - something that can benefit everyone, since the "copyright" relates to function of a design detail as a piece of branding, and the details in motorcycle and military inspired leather jackets have long since ceased being such.

ToJ was never about "original design". It was about making iconic gear in updated cuts, and at accessible prices. Hardly a new concept. It's all about their execution. If you go to CM, where the constraints are even tighter, you'll see even more how this is true, and how strength of execution is really where a lot of menswear "design" is at.

Just to illustrate my point about certain design elements in motorcycle jackets being part of the commons, here is the iconic Schott 626 vs the ToJ DR vs the Vanson Derby, in that order.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The details are a nearly 1/1 match between the ToJ rider and the Vanson derby, including the back.

Everyone also does an A-2 bomber, a cafe racer, etc...

In fashion, and particularly in menswear, where the constraints are extreme, it's about execution moreso than about "original ideas". To paraphrase someone, the design of pants is constrained by the fact that we have just the two legs.

7 people like this.
  7. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

yeah you're right it might loosen up, this is true. I'm going to give it a few wears and think on it.

Its mostly the leather section up top, shoulder-to-shoulder and upper back that's tight, below that by design and material its going to be loose almost regardless of the size.

8. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

You would never guess it was too small by looking at it.

1 person likes this.
  9. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Everyday Hero Zimmerman in black leather.

[​IMG]

Curious to see how they turn out.

3 people like this.
  10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's moderately heavy. I think it's a type of whipcord cotton. Maybe the EG dudes can say what it is exactly. I think it's from a few season's ago. I lucked out this one looks almost new maybe new no tags. Yeah, I like the color too. It's more of a dark khaki (British Tan?) than the typical olive green. Pantone chips below :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26 people like this.
  11. Sonderist

Sonderist Senior member

Report back, I've been eyeing these but was unsure of quality

12. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

hahaha he actually busted out the Pantone chips! This place is great.

11 people like this.
  13. DLester

DLester Senior member

It is pitiful how constrained menswear is.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  14. the kidcrash

the kidcrash Well-Known Member

It looks fine, oversized if anything. There's a lil bit of wizard sleeve but not bad. The piece itself is great, I'm v jealous

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

We do it to ourselves. Guys complain that a hem 1" wider is "too bootcut" or whatever nonsense rules the day.

1 person likes this.
  16. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

@Lorcan7 that looks so cool and so great on you that I really hope it works out somehow. Dang.

Some pretty rad finds on this page. That EG blazer looks great. WINTER IS COMING.

17. round

round Senior member

18. malcb33

malcb33 Senior member

What are those @round ?

19. round

round Senior member

15.265.849R Low Sneaker from Lost & Found Rooms

1 person likes this.
  20. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Some stuff I've gotten over past 3-4months?

Mihara, visvim 73, Schneider cardigan, eg maroon/navy jacket and trickers x end crepe sole repello

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

36 people like this.