1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

ESK is a brand, but yeah that lemaire yak/wool is pretty much identical.

1 person likes this.
  3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Since the brand is brought up. Has anyone here ever bought an Esk piece at retail? Please be as honest as you can

4. zissou

zissou Senior member

I don't think so :embar: I think every one I have (8?) has been at least 50% off. Maybe one or two were 20-30% off.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. London

London Senior member

I bought both yak cardigans full price

1 person likes this.
  6. OccultaVexillum

If I don't find anything else I will be buying the james crew at retail.

7. zissou

zissou Senior member

Look at the current Esk sale on their site. Ends soon.

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

congrats its an amazing feeling that i recently went through as well, did you buy in sf or in peninsula?

9. OccultaVexillum

@zissou - I already have, no XL or XXL in stock.

It's weird, in the sale section the Jim in Ecru is sold out, but if you just go to the regular "mens" section they have a full size run, but it's full price.

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

^yeah I'm not quite sure why that is. I get the sneaking feeling that they just MTO a knit if needed. I've never seen a sale from them in the past, which makes me think they carry a pretty small stock.

I should have added that there are one or two non-cashmere knits of theirs that I want that I would be willing to pay retail for.

11. gdl203

Thanks for the feedback. We've been spending a bit of time with them and their products - nice folks, nice stuff but the sticker shock is real. I just want to make the right decision - having nice stuff that only sells at markdowns = systematically losing money = a bad decision...

3 people like this.
  12. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

gdl, any plans to have a B&M store?

I was just thinking about how I'm ten times more likely to pay full retail in person than online.

13. gdl203

No plans yet. Never say never. Our mission is fundamentally not about serving men that are inter-related by their belonging to a particular neighborhood or city. It is to serve like-minded men, wherever they are, who are looking for the kind of products we offer.

17 people like this.
  14. zissou

zissou Senior member

Certainly understandable. That said, Esk mens has no North American shop in their stocklist. Having owned a fair amount of both Inis Meain and Esk, I would say that the IM classic Aran and Esk James Crew are most comparable (aside from the lack of cable knitting on the James). The James retails for $495, and you retail the classic Aran at $435- not much difference. The diversity of knits and yarns, and more modern (i.e., better IMO) fit of Esk knits make them the top brand of the two, in my book.

I will readily admit, though, that the price of Esk's cashmere knits is just :eek: . But, didn't you have some customers order cashmere S&C shawl collar cardigans for a steep (but surely reasonable) price?

15. msg

msg Senior member

For what it's worth, as someone who's bought from NMWA, I don't browse the site and wish there were more knits. Between IM, Schneider, S&C, and all the other brands who do knits seasonally, as a customer, I already feel like there's almost too much choice.

16. gdl203

Zissou - I'm aware that you recently developed this opinion on the fit of your Inis Meain knits, but it is of course subjective and I can't say that I agree. Our customers love the Inis Meain products and they often buy several. I personally love working with Tarlach, he is incredibly sincere and passionate about his culture and developing the local economy - and I think that the value is absolutely there, both for the 90/10 yarn and for the bull's wool. They like developing new ideas with us and we love that flexibility.

In any case, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

17. OccultaVexillum

Took a look at NMWA now that I'm not on my phone and I assume you're referring to the IM undyed ecru knit with the bulls wool comment. Honestly, the buttons kill it for me, but those reverse seam Esemplare ones are interesting esp with the fact they have BIG sizes.

18. msg

msg Senior member

Esemplare sizing is off by one, at least; XXL is really just XL or L. But NMWA thread will have guidance, ask there.

19. gdl203

It's a traditional fisherman gansey, uses traditional undyed lambswool. it would be odd to compromise an otherwise totally traditional makeup by omitting the shoulder buttons

20. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

dude, the buttons are what make that thing. That is a sweater for blood and iron and salt and spray.

1 person likes this.