1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

you make a good point, but it is a very Japanese approach to things. same with selvedge denim, for instance. there's nothing inherently Japanese about selvedge. the Japanese just have a way of becoming obsessed with something and reinterpreting it with this desire to make it the most perfect version of that thing. so the best selvedge is Japanese. Visvim is kinda the same idea. to stay with the denim example, hiroki designed Visvim's denim from the yarn up, as he puts it. it's that otaku! so even though it's not positioned as Japanese it has a Japanese sensibility to it and I think people recognize that quality.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

so I gather jet t's are not going to be mic? (j/k)

but seriously though I agree its the main reason for companies to move/outsource their manufacturing there but strict QC can still be enforced on low wage workers, it is harder and you have higher employee turnover but it can be done successfully although it does have to be another one of the companies main goals otherwise quality will always suffer when cutting manufacturing/assembly costs and/or cost of materials used, be it the source of the materials themselves or alternative materials implemented

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  3. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

So which brands/lines whatever are enforcing this strict QC and putting out awesome Chinese made stuff? I'd love to see some examples.

I mean as a thought experiment sure its something that people COULD do, but I'd love to see examples of low wage factories (Not artisans) that put out awesomely made shit. Would probably be a good deal since Made in China has such a bad rap that likely that stuff is factored in contract negotiations/end user cost.

I vaguely find it hard to believe that a brand or whatever that has the scale to make Chinese factories make sense will throw out a significant percentage of lower grade product to maintain a certain level of quality. In fact I feel like they are more inclined to go to the other direction and that's partly how outlet stores exist.

4. jet

jet Senior member

haha no they will be made in downtown LA by chinese immigrants (10)

2 people like this.
  5. London

London Senior member

I have some Nanamica jackets made in china and the quality is outstanding, as well as old RRL

6. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

That's what I'm trying to get at: a lot of the tags that say Made in ______ is for marketing purposes anyways. I like it when stuff I buy says Made in Japan or Made in Italy or Made in USA, but I recognize that a lot of that stems from an emotional attachment in part because of marketing or whatever. There is plenty of MiJ or MiUSA stuff that feels like absolute trash and falls apart quickly. This is why it's really cool when you get to go through and see some companies show their factories and processes (e.g. Viberg or Sun ramen noodles), because then you can see what it's like.

China may not be the greatest name in quality, but because of the sheer amount of stuff that's made and exported out of China with that tag, it means that there will be a lot of cruddy stuff. I think that reputation of crappy quality starts to become a bit more tenuous once you get into higher cost levels of production. I own lots of MiC stuff that has held up longer than anything else (my 6 year old levi's mic cords are still going strong after years of hard wear). No one's really defending China as an absolute producer of great quality, just that like everything else in life, it's not black and white. It's like buying only organic or fair trade stuff... once you start diving past the surface of marketing the details become a bit more murky and nuanced.

I'll agree with this, Visvim does have the feel of Japanese obsession. It's most definitely a Japanese spin on things, but when you take a look at a lot of their stuff it's mostly repro stuff updated with a few more modern details and cuts. Vis takes a lot of influence from inuit culture, s./c. american culture, native american, military, workwear, etc, but a bit more refined, which is ultimately why I think it's very popular. Sure there are things like the noragi or sanjuro, but overall I think Vis's success is not due to its Japanese-ness, but rather its easy-to-wear culture appropriation in conjunction with Japanese detail obsession. I guess in that way it's strange for Vis to produce in China, but you can only hope that Hiroki cares enough about the reputation of the brand to still produce great stuff out of China, which has been my experience with some MiC Vis footwear.

This is all probably better suited for RFT than recent purchases but whatever

6 people like this.
  7. rialb

rialb Member

[​IMG]

Got tired of trying to get one in a sale and picked up this SF staple at retail. After waiting 3 weeks for them to ship it SNS e-mailed me an apology and said they threw in a gift for me as well! Crossing my fingers for something good.

1 person likes this.
  8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

9. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Have to admit I was fooled there for a second and thought Shah bought a cool looking Lacoste polo

3 people like this.
  10. canstyleace

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  11. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Yeah but I dunno if those industries are apples to apples. People have a very different expectation as what they are willing to spend when it comes to telecomm/electronics equipment made anywhere including china versus a t-shirt made in china. It may be worthwhile for those industries to throw out a ton of production that doesn't meet strict qc especially if stuff is geared towards industrial/government use, but I feel like the margins are so low and the cost per item is so low for clothing that it's a less compelling route to take.

I'm curious if RRL and nanamica achieve their standards through more skilled labor or by strict qc. Are we talking about the same factories that say produce uniqlo?

12. canstyleace

13. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

[​IMG]

Always been interested in these but have never seen them in person. I like the profile and blandness of it but have always been worried it would just get lost in a pant leg and would look just like a pair of achilles (which I already have, so it would be redundant).

14. spacepope

spacepope Senior member

that's why u pinroll bruh

1 person likes this.
  15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Made in whatever, for the most part, is just part of a narrative, which is a lot of what you pay for, and has emotional vakue. This is not to be conflated with quality in the quantifiable terms. World class factories have the same capabilities, worldwide.

3 people like this.
  16. Razele

Razele Senior member

Cut down my baller shoe wardrobe so I got those black CCP Sidezips off eBay for like 725

Also I got those StoryEtFall Sidezips that were posted awhile back, I'll put up a proper review soon

2 people like this.
  17. 1989thenumber

1989thenumber Senior member

That's a really good question.

18. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Oh shit that was meant for the should I buy thread but anyway, yeh I'd thought about rolling but it's not really something I do as most of my pants are elastic cuffed trousers, denim and heavy chinos. The sole kind of throws off any kind of formal uses for them too. It's like the look super dope in product shots but I'm wary of them looking weird on foot with the kind of stuff I wear, for $210 I might just give them a shot though.

19. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Been a while since I've done one of these.

EG:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Inventory x Nepenthes x Ebbets:
    [​IMG]
    Beams +:
    [​IMG]
    Orslow:
    [​IMG]

20 people like this.
  20. momentoftruth