Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

this. for all the people who succeed in finance and law, there are 20348034982309 of people who fail miserably. the grass is always greener on the other side.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

2. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

No, my post was a response to Abraxis, if you majored in literature or philosophy and the best thing you got out of that education was a degree or some sort of job skill, you missed the point (engineers and such seem to have an impossible time understanding this)...

Quote: When I visited Casper in his office on campus this winter, I asked him if his critique applied to Stanford. “I am a little concerned that Stanford, along with its peers, is now justifying its existence mostly in terms of what it can do for humanity and improve the world,” he answered. “I am concerned that a research-intense university will become too result-oriented,” a development that risks politicizing the university. And it also risks draining more resources from liberal arts at a time when “most undergraduates at most universities are there not because they really want to get a broad education but because they want to get the wherewithal for a good job.”
    John Hennessy is familiar with Casper’s Jerusalem speech. “It applies to everyone—us, too,” he says. Getting into college is very competitive, tuition is very expensive, and, with economic uncertainty, students become preoccupied with majoring in subjects that may lead to jobs. “That’s why so many students are majoring in business,” Hennessy says, and why so few are humanities majors. He shares the concern that too many students are too preoccupied with getting rich. “It’s true broadly, not just here,” he says.
    Miles Unterreiner, a senior, fretted in the Stanford Daily that students spent too much time networking and strategizing and becoming “slaves to the dictates of a hoped-for future,” and too little time being spontaneous. “Stanford students are superb consequentialists—that is, we tend to measure the goodness of actions by their eventual results,” he wrote. “Bentham and Mill would be proud. We excel at making rational calculations of expected returns to labor and investment, which is probably why so many of us will take the exhortation to occupy Wall Street quite literally after graduation. So before making any decision, we ask one, very simple question: What will I get out of it?”
    “At most great universities, humanities feel like stepchildren,” Casper told me. Two members of the humanities faculty—David Kennedy and Tobias Wolff, a three-time winner of the O. Henry Award for his short stories—extoll Stanford’s English and history departments but worry that the university has acquired a reputation as a place for people more interested in careers or targeted education than in a lofty “search for truth.”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/04/30/120430fa_fact_auletta#ixzz1tZzf8dx8

I think if you want to be a lawyer and are interested in law the go do that and fuck the odds, but a lot of lawyers are just lawyers because dad wanted them to be a doctor or lawyer.

Edit: I didn't really explain that well - somebody already said it, basically people graduate college, realize they're not going to get a job and go back to school for law because school is familiar and they hope the economy improves; they're not necessarily going because they want to be a lawyer.

3. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

Fwiw it's worth I really enjoyed my first year of law school and don't regret the decision at all. It's probably been one of the best years of my life (although it's a rough year).

I think a J.D. is one of the most versatile degrees you could possibly have. You could do tons of stuff with it later on in your career and go into all sorts of fields, not necessarily law.

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

this is terrible advice. you need to have a realistic understanding of the opportunity cost of doing anything and understand your prospects on the other side. for example I'll be applying to PhD programs in the fall and I know going into it that only 1/3 graduates land a tenure track position, and that my only chance of doing so as a white male is attending a top 5 program. and even then it's a hard slog. this is a serious thing to consider and if i went into it with a 'fuck it, it'll work attitude' id be setting myself up for failure. my advice, and the path im pursuing, is to give yourself as many options as possible. have a backup plan and a backup for your backup plan. work towards your academic goals while cultivating networking contacts and job experience. in college, especially today, nobody is going to hand you opportunities -- you have to take the time to seek them out yourself. if you want an internship, approach the place you want to work and talk to them. don't hope that you'll magically here they're hiring interns. if you want to work in a field approach people in that field and talk to them. personally I'm thinking about trying to land a job after i graduate with my university's advising program. the pay is as good as an associate professor and the job is interesting and not particularly demanding. knowing this, i sought out a peer advising program as an undergraduate, and when i came to graduate school i approached the department's undergraduate advisor and asked to help him out, leading to my appointment as an unpaid adjunct advisor for the department. im not trying to toot my own horn -- theres a chance all my efforts will be for nothing and ill fail -- but my point is that you need to take your future in your own hands. college is an excellent opportunity to make important contacts, don't waste it smoking weed and not attending class because you stayed up til 4 am playing call of duty.

5. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

go JD MD, kelv lol

6. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

ahha no way, doing m&a or entertainment

7. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

Hey guys, remember when this thread used to be about clothes?

This is what I've recently purchased:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

first pair, lets see how long they last.

[​IMG]

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

lmao: those myhabit deals are fucking nuts.

10. dmash

dmash Senior member

11. Lane

Lane Senior member

yah back to our scheduled programming, plain ass button ups and the sneakers everyone on this site owns.

12. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

size 45 from ebay?

13. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

^ a 42 from that ebay UK seller. For some reason it was on sale for 140 GBP one day...must have been flash or error b/c it was back to 250 shortly after...

14. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

good deal. I had haggled him down to 200 maybe I can go lower...

15. dmash

dmash Senior member

You can find those easy. I got my pair (NIB from 2010) just a couple months ago for $240 shipped.