1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

they are not as flattering as that particular photo makes it to be

[​IMG]

if that is the same

2. dmash

dmash Distinguished Member

Just picked up another pair of my favorite shades, the Salt Terry for $70 shipped on eBay.

[​IMG]

and bought tix for Markus Schulz in Tampa on Sat.

and paid a grand for textbooks. :fu:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

3. VLSI

VLSI Distinguished Member

Dude what?! Buy international editions... or find ebooks :paranoia:

4. dmash

I don't do ebooks..........I read print newspaper still, something about pages and real ink that I just like, don't ask me why.

and I bought for summer and fall semesters, which are heavily laden in science. $1000 isn't very weird TBH. Plus, I can only buy used directly through my bookstore to use my loan money, so they have me there as well.

5. VLSI

Actually ebooks is bad advice to be honest, every time I had one I never looked at it. But honestly international editions are so cheap and almost always the same -- only ran into an issue once. I could usually buy all my textbooks for <200. Definitely better than repaying a loan for way more expensive books if you can swing it.

6. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

can't remember ever using a textbook...

7. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Distinguished Member

I always get the pirated pdf and buy the print edition.

i only use the pdf as a searchable index, works well.

8. VLSI

Except when they're scanned pages and the OCR doesn't recognize the text :fu:

9. dmash

Idk, it ends up not being bad when I resell to other guys. Whatever though.

and for me, lab manuals + some science classes are university specific that I can't buy anywhere. It's not general books.

10. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Distinguished Member

lol I went through engineering school without buying/downloading a single book (excluding the small handful that professors wrote and made us buy, ugh) so I think I would die if I went to grad school and had to do actual work that I couldn't talk my way out of

11. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Distinguished Member

how on earth do you talk your way through engineering? it's not like English or something; there are numbers involved! my friend who was a mechanical engineer (now a patent attorney) would be horrified.

which S2A pants, by the way? the suit ones? i want their slouchy cotton/linen pants from this season.

12. tween_spirit

I just sat in the front of the class, engaged with my teachers, and since everything was relatively hard and mostly everyone did bad, if you were on a first-name basis and gave the impression of effort they would throw you a bone that was good for a letter grade or two.

It also helped to make a really bad impression the first week and let the teacher feel like they really "improved" you, which is something I learned worked well through high school.

Of course I still put a ton of work into actual projects for my major-specific classes, there was no way around that, but none of those were textbook type classes. I was in more of a "minimal effort possible" mindset. It doesn't hurt that my major was Engineering Management, which is a lot of business process re-engineering/optimization type work. I guess it was only fitting :p Unfortunately I retained nothing but whatever, I'm over it.

And yes, the core engineering guys sort of hated us for that, but I had no interest in being a regular kind of engineer working on a computer all day doing work alone.

S2A pants could be orphaned suit trousers, hard to tell. They're just basic lightweight wool pants in a medium grey, picked them up at the Zero + Maria sample sale. $70 :nodding:

13. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Distinguished Member

lol. your custom tag should be "master manipulator" :nodding:

14. Dbear

Dbear Distinguished Member

This seems hard, as it actually involves going to class... [​IMG]

15. tween_spirit

well, yeah. I never missed a class but I'd much rather be out there engaging myself with a professor and other students for an hour or three than looking at a book alone

so that's my advice for all SFers that are in school! Also, it helps to be able to take tests at least moderately well with little knowledge of the subject. If you can't do that I'm not sure how to help sorry