Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

psh, I had that in '05 :slayer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

2. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Yeah grail's not the right word. Don't think there is a word for what you're describing; a grail would be like that one item you hold higher than all else which always seemed pretty stupid to me since it's just clothes.

3. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Duuude, remind me never to share an elevator with Tween, even if Albert Brooks and Ron Perlman pay me to murder him.

4. habitant

habitant Senior member

I think that after MOK bought that Yohji trench, his wife banned him from using styleforum.

5. 1234

1234 Senior member

Zam Barrett hoodie. Details are insane. Nearly all of it is handstitched.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. baconzilla

baconzilla Senior member

@toasty: yeah it did find me. I was just hunting for ma-1s and I passed this on yjp.

by that logic all cars are equal and so my mazda demio is just as good as a ferrari?

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

ya i didn't get that comment either

8. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

That doesn't make any sense. No car is a 'grail' for me because I don't really give a fuck about cars but that doesn't make every car equal. Maybe if I saved for ten years and bought a Ferrari and woke up and polished it every morning and kissed it goodnight it would be a 'grail' but I don't think many people are that obsessive about clothing / it's an overused word.

The dictionary definition of grail is that it's the ultimate (i.e. that there can really be only one), so people on here having a whole list of 'grails' is pretty bizarre. It's just semantics tho so whatever.

Edit: I'm not belittling clothing or cars, just trying to say that by definition you can't have more than one grail.

9. baconzilla

baconzilla Senior member

just because you don't care doesn't mean we don't. Shit grow some empathy on a fashion forum

10. Lane

Lane Senior member

also a grail is something you really want you havent obtained yet, hence the "grail" status.

11. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Haha. I was just trying to explain to Toasty the actual usage of the word, since he asked.

12. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

this is the only point i was getting at, many grails and its derivatives like semi-grails i don't get. i think plenty of people do come here to discuss clothing because they view it as a hobby of sorts, just as car enthusiasts (which we even have on sf, see car thread) like to discuss cars, because people view these things as more than just clothes/cars be it aesthetics, art, expression, fabric delights, horsepower, handling, ride, fit, tuning, modifications, experimentation, collection, etc.

13. Arizor

Arizor Senior member

After following the advice of the 'this or that' thread, got some CP workboots on big discount:
    Quick pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Miran2

Miran2 Senior member

I think this is a place to discuss clothing, first and foremost, although there are people here who also are car enthusiasts, fragrance enthusiasts, travel enthusiasts, boxers, psychos, whatever....
    But I wouldn't lend too much credence to the non-fashion threads, like the car thread...not much going on there. The food threads are an absolute disgrace! Nobody there knows what they are talking about, full stop.

15. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

agreed, but outside of SW&D there is little discussion about clothes it seems. many of the old-tymers in MC don't even post in MC anymore. They can however be found in many other sub-fora round these parts. which food thread are you talking about ? for what it's worth, itsstillmatt is a magician in the kitchen from what i've heard. he's given me an open invitation and i've yet to oblige, but there are people in the food industry that have testified to his brilliance in the kitchen. if nothing else, his minimalist plating is quite beautiful. also manton has a lot of great techniques. and mgm (forgot his actual handle) sometimes can blow you away with what he prepares.