Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

I had never even seen a shooting star before. 25 years of rotations, passes through comets' paths, and travel, and to my memory I had never witnessed burning debris scratch across the night sky. Radiohead were hunched over their instruments. Thom Yorke slowly beat on a grand piano, singing, eyes closed, into his microphone like he was trying to kiss around a big nose. Colin Greenwood tapped patiently on a double bass, waiting for his cue. White pearls of arena light swam over their faces. A lazy disco light spilled artificial constellations inside the aluminum cove of the makeshift stage. The metal skeleton of the stage ate one end of Florence's Piazza Santa Croce, on the steps of the Santa Croce Cathedral. Michelangelo's bones and cobblestone laid beneath. I stared entranced, soaking in Radiohead's new material, chiseling each sound into the best functioning parts of my brain which would be the only sound system for the material for months.

I can't hear anyone mention a shooting star without remembering this first paragraph of the pitchfork review of Kid A from 2000. This is entertaining for a different reason than what you're talking about though.

The next paragraph is even worse ;)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have this sweater - I sized up to avoid the hourglass effect, and I stretch it a little bit when I put it on - it works fine. It is a great pattern and soft as a baby monkey's pubes

3. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Armpit hairs are longer and silkier. You're being ripped off.

4. limbo

limbo Senior member

5. gdl203

I'm not surprised as I can certainly see piece this as being the absolute antithesis of your style philosophy

6. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i don't dislike things that don't work with my wardrobe, that would be completely biased and lacking in any objectivity. i could never post here as most don't share my ideas of billowing anti-fit formalwear and homeless superheros. on the other hand, i quite like the looks posted by, say, driveslowk and steveoffice (don't mean this as an exclusive list, they just popped into my head regarding slim cut luxe streetwear and monochromatically formal outfits, respectively)

i dislike things that i are unpleasant, and that sweater is so many wrongs in one, from overpatterned to bizarre color combinations to absurd fit to senselessly ending at the bottom.

7. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Man I wish I could step to your guy's Lovecraftian posts, that guy was my favorite when I started HS.

Loved how he blended in real life descriptors with abstract descriptors, I actually sorta believed some of it was real (I was young, ok)

8. the shah

oh i just figured it out -- i have a '03 raf sweater that has a nice pattern, no ribbing at cuffs or waist, and the colors flow much more naturally together. this 2011 version is an absurd offense, i just didn't remember why until now !

9. bows1

bows1 Senior member

pics or it didn't happen

10. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

11. the shah

haha this is when i had just received it :- ode to [old skool] raf

fw0304

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

the shoulder seems are somewhere close to biceps lol gotta love the bizarre ideas he used to come up with

I think fans of raf knits should look into ute ploier

12. sipang

sipang Senior member

good times. ready for kombat

13. gdl203

Yes, for the same reasons that it is quite obvious to me that you'd dislike the colorful Raf sweater, it's also painfully obvious that you'd like this older one. It fits with your grey/black/white/beige/brown view of the world better. For the record, I think the 03 one is great and probably more attractive than the 11 one - which doesn't make the 11 one unattractive on its own. The color clash and intricate pattern that you dislike and find bizarre, others (bows, myself) find awesome, energetic (some psychedelic take on classic fair isle) and a nice match for an otherwise plain, unpatterned outerwear or outfit. A combination of basic and color that's not too far from what Junya does in one piece. The lack of ribbing is a non-issue IMO - people love it when it's Schneider but not when it's Raf ? Not to mention your older sweater doesn't have ribbing either

14. the shah

you seemed to have missed the entire paragraph addressing why the incongruity with my personal taste is not the reason i don't like it.

i presented one i do like, which obviously fits my wardrobe being that i purchased it with that in mind. turning the '11 one into same color as this would not fix it at all.

oh well, no reason to dwell on why i don't like it if you do good for you :)

15. Johan

Johan Senior member

She used to work for Raf, right ?

I love what she's doing. I tried to contact their office to get this coat but didnt get an answer. :(

[​IMG]