Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

2. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

3. dnna1

dnna1 Senior member

I used to not either, but once you start you can't stop. These brands are head and shoulders above anyone else right now in attention to detail, materials, and innovation (experimentation with alternative materials, fit, etc). In my opinion of course. Not to mention they just look bad ass.

4. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

[​IMG]

H&M. Will probably break down in a matter of seconds, but for 20€ I figured, why not.

5. Desi

Desi Senior member

They are actually all kinds of cute. Do they fit true? I always have problems where sizing down on H&M footwear is necessary.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

cute?

I remember when lanvin stuff was superlative quality, a shame they had to dumb down the quality so much over the years.

The two blazers that I own are magnificent (as they should be for how much they cost).

7. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

economy is not doing well, the company need to lower their price to better survive in the market. Lanvin is still owned by a private company, it's really hard to compete with brands owned by LVMH and Gucci groups. As I can tell, one of the major problem of Lanvin is their retail network, probably it has something to do with their prices. It's getting better. They start to open boutiques in the past few years and they now just have 2 in CA, 1 in FL. one in vegas and another one in NYC. I know local personal boutiques carry Lanvin, but they just carry Lanvin permanent collection, which I mean the Sneakers, some sweaters, and some grosgrain detailed shirts in different color/season. Their runway stuff if really expensive. They have good design but nothing is not irreplaceable.

Anyway, back to made in India, I think the quality is just OK, nothing spectacular. I feel it's so hard to exam the quality of one item since people got too many stuff to wear. The made in France and Made in italy pieces is on average quality.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

The whole line in general, when I felt some of it last year it was nothing like how it was in 07/08.

9. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

:bored: Agreed. Well, as I said, the SW&D or designer stuff is more about the design. No one notice the quality as long as it look good. Just like suit, no one cares you are wearing Brioni or Jos A Bank as long as it fit you.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

I remember when Lanvin was shit my mum would buy at SYMS like 12 years ago. Still better then back then.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

+1

12. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

This is different. All the brands we love here were all shit. Lanvin, Dior, Givenchy, etc. The company did a licensed thing several years ago, this is what destroyed them. Back to 80s and 90s I think even dior was sold in Dillard's. I've seen their suit labeled made expressly for Dillards. That's why you see 50 dollars Dior suit on ebay. The label is different. We are talking about their high-fashion line.

13. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

hell, even Balmain was poopy a while back.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Err. This is simply untrue; Lanvin used to be about custom fabrics and now they have (nice) Jersey, cottons and stuff like that but even someone unfamiliar with fashion could see the difference in fabric choice if they had to look at two outfits side by side; one would be like raw silk and linen and the other one wool jersey and polyester used as silk. It simply jumps at you if you're actually interested in such things. A few yrs ago Lanvin fabric costs were, on average, THREE TIMES the cost of a similar garment made for YSL. Out of the big french houses offering menswear collections I'd say the only one which has actually become better is, to my great surprise, Dior Homme. BTW none of these brands (menswear) are big businesses; they don't have that much staff and a relatively low volume.

Oh and some of the leathers used on recent shoe offerings have been so cheap as to be Aldo level (not all of the recent ones but a few), it's just quite easy to spot.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011