Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

It just feels to me that - with a couple of exceptions - a lot of the creativity in WAYWT has been replaced by celebrity-stylist "insert designer item here," and that no one's really giving a thought to what they're wearing, and now it's just about who. It's not so much experimentation as just mix 'n match.

2. ahk1979

ahk1979 Senior member

So I put the MMM bag up in B&S for crazy cheap. Will donate half of whatever I get for it to the Styleforum McD fundraiser. Moo, I think you need this bag!

3. Razele

Razele Senior member

New SF is way better

AA / APC / CP got really boring after a while

4. APK

APK Senior member

New SF is getting just as boring, only it's costing a lot more money.

5. Lane

Lane Senior member

ok we apologize, we shall all shop at thrift stores for authenticity and creativity.

please oh creative one, shower me with a fit which consists of a ToJ and random other brands.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

6. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

A / APC / for sure gets boring, but the posters who did and do it well were more like

Surplus / thrift / AA / APC / weird yoox finds

I know hi/lo is arguably tired but those are still the wardrobes I appreciate most

Some of this stems from the oft-given and undisputable wisdom of not settling for cheap versions of "what you really want." But just b/c something is expensive or at full retail doesn't mean you should want it, and I think that's confusing for some people--myself included occasionally. I dunno I'm not feeling particularly articulate right now

7. APK

APK Senior member

Aren't you the one having a stroke over people not being authentic or creative with their Rick Owens?

I periodically feel sympathy for how you're treated here, but then you negate that by chiming in with comments that suggest an unawareness of how inane or delusional they are.

8. Razele

Razele Senior member

God lane, your posts read like such an elitist histrionic fashion queen sometimes

@ APK

I don't think so, this discussion is WAY better, more interesting threads and quite a few new good posters. People always romanticise the way things used to be, but real talk, it was pretty boring.

WAYWT doesn't equal the total of SF, sales thread is a goldmine (risk vs fail lulz) the baller sneakers thread was great (not really SF's fault thats its not so good anymore) the baller footwear thread is great, ToJ is great, Should Shouldn't I buy, Someone should kop threads are great.

Im pretty happy with SF, its a better mix now of workwear / streetwear / high fashion / avant garde components that mix well for the most part.

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

no

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

The thing I never liked about waywt is when people see the designer listing they immediately think that the subject fit must be soley aligned with that designer's vision and not thinking for themselves to see if it it actually meshes well, in a vacuum. That nike rick guy was an excellent example of this.

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

100% agree that the pace and depth of discussion on SW+ has improved in the last few years

12. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

+1 Sad that he rarely posts now. I liked his posts on 'are XX's price tag justifiable' (RIP Dayton) or nicer stuffs that aren't crazy expensive

13. Razele

Razele Senior member

Eh I never really liked thrift shopping and surplus is pretty bad too

Most of the time it was AA Hoody, AA T, APC NS / PS, Boots

Also, anyone that was interested in good design was ridiculed for spending money, it was unbelievably weird as an outsider to come to a conspicuous consumption forum and then watch people making fun of each other for spending too much

That would be like signing up for a weed forum and yelling "HAHA YOU STONER FUCKS" over and over

14. habitant

habitant Senior member

I agree, it seems the more expensive something is, the more you covet it. A few years ago I would spend 500$ on a jacket, and think it's almost too much.. Now I'm at a 1000$ minimum, it's bizarre.

15. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

that's why listing fabrics can make it more interesting and adds yet something else to consider when thinking to oneself if a fit meshes well.