Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

2. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

I think Stark is something from like the past 2 years, along with GATs. Schneider I don't think is "uniform" status, it's just something lusted over by many and copped by a few that post a lot, not necessarily a uniform. Totally forgot about W+H though, I'm sure those ugly hoodies were popular for a while here but I have no idea when - 08? 09?

3. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

those WHoodies are comfortable ok :cry: !!!!! i got from NDG store when it was superdiscounted ~_~
    like to lounge around in them even tho i dislike loungewear heh

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

4. hurhur

hurhur Senior member

A couple of grails.

MMM 5-zips from 05AW. /|\

[​IMG]

CDGH+. Thanks Catfood.

[​IMG]

and Damir Doma Creepers shoes.

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Fok has a better memory for this stuff than I, but...

Styleforum was never really on the dunk train. AA/Nudies/Chucks was probably the first SW+D uniform. Originally, of course, there was no SW+D, so it was just like, Brian SD/Saucemaster uniform.

Wings + Horns (Spruce, originally?) was popular starting sometime around fall 2006.

6. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

7. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

post a pic. :teach:

8. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Definitely some truth to this. "Cessons d'être spectateur. Que tu sois homme ou femme, si tu n'es pas sur cette terre pour te et la changer, tu es inutile."

I do think there are a good number of peeps though who are genuinely original, even if just in subtle ways. You know who you are.

9. sipang

sipang Senior member

Careful there, you need to distinguish between the SF uniform and SF seven circles of Hype, while the two categories occasionally overlap they stem from different dynamics.

10. tween_spirit

Yeah I wasn't saying necessarily you were here in 06, just that I want to hear from someone who was.

I mean I like clothes. I always have, and being in New York I've seen all of these trends come and go. I just figured SF was in sync with the timing of them that I had seen. That said none of these trends have really left in real life. There are still plenty of people into them, just less than before. Nudies and dunks are everywhere, "the average dude" wears clarks and some raw selvedge (or very dark non-selvedge) jeanss, there are of course all of the lumberjacks and workwear costume guys but they're getting to be fewer since I think they get made fun of in the media so much.

yeah that's what I was trying to get at before, by saying SS was more "hype" by being lusted over, but the "uniform" is something that is still pretty "entry level" (ugh)

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

It's tempting to say SF uniform/hype about certain pieces and brands, but SF doesn't exist in a vacuum. Most of the stuff that gets play here historically has gotten attention elsewhere as well, and/or is being consciously or not pushed by a broad cohort of designers, showrooms, shops. We're rarely as uniquely hip or as unhip as we think

The cycle and breadth has accelerated, anecdotally, with the acceleration of online retail. The shops that were originally part of the SF SW+D informal circle of retailers (Denim Bar, Peasant, Hejfina, all gone; Drinkwaters) didn't have great e-retail sites, if any. It was only a few years ago that you could barely order, even sight unseen, ANY of the stuff you can find, consider, and buy in five minutes now.

12. tween_spirit

Yeah this is a much better way of saying how I was able to make some (probably accurate) guesses about what was popular on here.

13. pickpackpockpuck

Online retail has really changed the game, I think. It's helped turn fashion into a form of mass entertainment, like tv or movies.

14. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

The biggest difference I've noticed since I joined is the shift away from workwear. When I joined it was all workwear all day in waywt, these days most workwear waywts get defecated within minutes. A good shift IMO -- the few posters who do workwear well still get the proper respect. Certain posters going from punching bags to baller status has also been interesting to watch.

15. pickpackpockpuck

Dries shirt just arrived from Yoox. It's so much nicer than their pic. Crappy phone pic doesn't do it justice.

[​IMG]