Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. colabear

colabear Senior member

we work hard for the money...so hard for it honey...we work hard for the money so we better treat it right

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

No.

3. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Miran,
    how many Lanvins do you own? Shirts jackets shoes pants?
    Why you say everything Lanvin is good. They have fugly and amazing pieces all the time.

4. miran

miran Senior member

Everything by Lanvin is good :nodding: Lanvin is from France...in my logic, everything from France is good. :nodding:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Sad to tell you, most of people consider Yohji Yamamoto, Comme des Garcons are from France (or partially from France).

For example, yohji yamamoto is Paris and Tokyo based.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Why don't you already have Miran and Colabear on ignore? Can't everyone just use the block function and fucking stop quoting them?

7. miran

miran Senior member

Andrewgreg, you raise a good point.

I know Comme des garçons is NOT from France. But most people do not know this. They assume from the name that it is from France. So you must ask the question--why choose that French name? Why not choose a Japanese name? They are being misleading in trying to market!!!

I also was fooled for a short while, but I did not like their stuff, especially their fragrances which are awful. I looked more into the brand, and saw it was Japanese. I never touch it again.

Yohji filed for bankruptcy in 2009 trying to sell his garbage in the United States and Europe.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  8. Zeemon

Zeemon Senior member

why are you doing this miran? you can't be a real person
    your japanese sentence is not even correct

9. APK

APK Senior member

I had miran banned MONTHS ago when he was a new poster, though I don't recall what prompted me to do it. People responding to him kind of negates blocking him.

10. miran

miran Senior member

sorry, please correct my japanese. thank you.

Other than the error in my Japanese language--which I beg you to excuse, I am not Japanese---what else in wrong in my post? What is factually inaccurate and what is misleading? I am stating some facts and then drawing a conclusion which is my opinion. That makes me not real?

Colabear not willing to purchase overpriced Junya makes him "block-worthy"? :brick:

11. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

You make Koalabear look like a fucking supersta, I can see why he wants you around

12. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Finally my order from Mr. Porter arrived. Black slim Acne jeans are awesome, and the fit is great. Only thing is that they´re quite long, but they didn´t have a 32 L.

I´ll have to get them hemmed. Will post pics when I have the camera on me.

13. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

I did say Comme des graces is partically from France, also half Paris based. It's nothing to do with the name, I say that because how they deigns, where they design, where they have their show ...etc.. All the reasons. It would not say it's Jaanese just because it's Japanese company and designer.

Let's say Balenciaga, he's from Spain(originally). The company was controlled by Gucci(Italy). But the company itself claimed that it is Paris based(France).

It is common for a designer/luxury company for file a bankruptcy. Just a sign of not doing well business. Marketing is a big thing.

14. miran

miran Senior member

Andrewgreg, for Comme des Garçons, the main design team is Japanese, and this team is based in Tokyo (including their baby Junya, the God of this forum--maybe he is no longer with them, I don't know). The business side of it is based completely in Tokyo. They have the shows in Paris..but it is a Japanese company. Zilli is a completely French company with a French design team, but they have their shows in Dubai and Moscow also. You can have your show anywhere.

I am not being discriminatory, I am saying that fashion is a cultural thing, and designers bring a lot of their cultural baggage with them and sometimes it does not travel well across cultures. They are choosing a misleading name to pretend to be something they are not. Therefore, choosing a misleading name is wrong, in my opinion. Especially when the misnaming is deliberate for marketing purposes!

Balenciaga is different...he is a legend and it is common knowledge he is Vasco. He worked with Dior and in Paris and was at the centre of the French couture world....but his cultural baggage was from his heritage in Spain, which is fine, nothing wrong with that at all. But importantly for his company, he chose his own name--he did not mislead. He did not pretend to be somethign he is not. I think today the company is controlled by a French group, not Gucci....it doesn't matter who the parent is, the name hasn't changed. Land Rover is owned by Indian TATA...but everyone is careful that the heritage of Land Rover is not lost, just because the ownership has changed hands. You don't want to know who are the parent owners of all the Belge trappist beers....:satisfied:

15. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

CdG is made in France (what I have from them), but it's Japanese company. Their hq is in Tokyo and the design team is japanese