Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Duuuuude, you should have brought back at least a jacket to commemorate. I have a Nigel Cabourn coat with Harris Tweed and it is quite nice.

2. chomeo

chomeo Senior member

^^ i have that wallet! leather is super soft!

3. Fuuma

Margiela men's was designed by some other guy named Sébastien, he recently started designing Demeulemeester men's (and totally changed his look). I hope I'm not breaking any illusions :(. MM did go to castings and participate in certain things though...

Margiela wears really tight Levis and a beret. Real talk.

I like the sweater RegisDB9 (?) purchased, it got a nice neck opening and the colour got potential. I also own one of his summer pants (in white) and it is nice and comfy. Sure MMM has some more elaborate pieces and it is a waste to only get the more basic ones (IMHO) but what can you do...

ps: I can't be accused of favouring Regis as I mostly think he's some tacky hick but it doesn't mean everything he purchases is ugly or that he's always wrong.

4. chomeo

chomeo Senior member

PAM00312. excuse my slight difference in time. i'm lazy to adjust the ingenieur.

[​IMG]

5. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

I'm Latin, with green eyes and much taller than you, just because I diss the French (I even capitalized it for you) doesnt make me a hick :D (2)......maybe (3)

6. Fuuma

Why would your eyes, height or latin origin matter in this discussion? You have tacky taste, don't know much about the world and seem to be culturally stunted so it is only natural that I'd qualify you as a hick. But I was defending you anyway so take the good and ignore the bad and everything will be peachy.

7. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Read the definition of a hick sometime. Culturally stunted...? don't know much about the world? Hmmm, well I'm about to be out, but I can tell you that I have traveled all my life and have been to every continent except Africa, and have met and value many cultures

Tell me though why if you are so high and mighty and culturally blah blah how is it you are so easy to jump up and judge a person based on words on a computer screen? I mean obviously I just laugh about it but it just clashes with what you stand for around here, which I can tell is a person that somewhat knows what they are talking about

8. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Hrm no. None of those pictures are mine. I'm not into big wallets this one appeals to me actually because its incredibly thin or is smallness of wallet supposedly to be the compensating element these days? Then I guess you got me dead to rights sir!

To chomeo: I know I've been fiending for it since I saw it at the archive! Dude was selling it for less than half what they were and its not an item that goes on sale so I'm stoked :) Makes losing my gibson wallet feel much better though it was holding the red circle from my av_field lace that fell off.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

9. chomeo

chomeo Senior member

^^ i need to get myself to the Archive! argh!

you'll love that wallet for sure. i like the fact that when you open your wallet, you can get the cash out while the cards are covered. what i don't like is that it only has one big compartment for cash and no divider for bills and cash. but i took E's advise and put a 100,000 yen note which happens to be big enough to be my divider. :)

10. Fuuma

Because I'm an asshole, however I am an asshole that won't treat you like you're something you aren't. You're like 23 or something? People need to tell you how much of a little dumbass you are otherwise in 30 yrs you'll be an old dumbass. Taste is also something you develop, same with being able to discuss design, art or whatever. You can't even justify why you bought the stuff you bought in any meaningful way and yet, don't try to bullshit me, you tried numerous times and really do care.

Or maybe I'm watching "my so-called life" and it's the episode with the grumpy but wise teacher. I don't care, you decide.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

11. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Sorry, I was making a tacky joke. My poor attempts at humor do not readily translate over the Interwebs, it would seem.

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

It's okay I don't really take anything seriously in actuality :) But I sure do enjoy taking every chance I can get to channel my own brand of asshole/troll/passive aggressive bullshit when I see openings even if they were meant in jest!

13. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Well there you go. Not everyone is a dumbass as you put it, which again is just a perception you have. I buy what I buy because I like it, I know about my right fit, the intricate details of the piece I want and if it is light enough for the environment I am in. That's all I need

Realtalk I've learned about and discovered some new designers here, but I really don't care, as far as all this history and you buy basic pieces.... as I am sure you don't and anyone that does just has too much time on their hands. I just go through watching a series of docs for a class of mine regarding coltan mining in the congo, and we are here arguing over MMM and what makes it boring or great or what have you.......it really doesn't matter, way more important things to worry about. Simply put I like the clothes they make me happy, the end

14. LionelFrankenstein

LionelFrankenstein Senior member

Reading this reminded me of this TED talk I watched recently. I think whether we want it to or not the backstory plays a role at the very least in the purchasing process. You may be able to ignore the brand connotations or whatever when you encorporate the garment into your wardrobe but when you're considering buying something the "history" definitely plays some role which may vary from person to person in terms of how influential the story is. Like those leather jackets with Christian, it may not be a sticking point for some but it's encorporated in how you view the piece overall.
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

15. keykoo

keykoo Senior member

Arthur at the Archive has sold me some stuff that doesn't go on sale for 30% off. I was fiending for a MA+ side bag and they offered to sell it to me at a discount because I had bought a bunch of stuff the previous season.