Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

The word groupthink is overused here. Fuck that word, it's literally worse than swag being used in every post.

2. aether

aether Senior member

i think kelv and synth should go have a circle jerk with nothing on but their rose boots and rafstros...

REALTALK

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Didn't Diesel buy MMM in '94? When did Margiela himself stop designing. Does anyone actually know

4. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

MBS' pretty great, I've got free entry pretty much for life to some club/bar there. When will you be in Singapore?

5. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

I think scott.m said it best when he said: "wear dope shit"

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Maybe while we're at it we can get one of those metal contraptions that holds your eyes open while we cum in them, and make ourselves a red-eyed kentdumpster. I'd hate to get stains on all your sweet puffer vests, though. Real talk. Not sure what you think you're contributing here. You've gone through, what are we at now, four or five accounts without adding anything even slightly meaningful to a single discussion? If you've got an opinion on Margiela, contextual styling, or even clothing/fashion in general, we'd all love to hear it.

Someone more enlightened probably does, but I think it's been a while now. I'm pretty sure Diesel purchased in 2002, and the man himself was less and less involved between then and '08. I could be absolutely wrong on everything, though.

7. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

:eek:

8. snake

snake Senior member

FW09 I believe.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The Diesel group purchased Margiela, allow with DSquared and NY Industries in 2002. So, I think that about handful of us here have real "OG" Margiela. Even then, Margiela had much interest in menswear. Marc Jacobs is the same - in fact Marc Jacobs says it's really not his forte, and that his trusts his team to do a good job,

10. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

GROUPSWAGTALK

11. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

There was (is?) an interesting semi-thread on SZ about whether or not people felt cheated after learning who was actually designing the clothes they wore - I believe it was about Paul Harnden, and ifhis wife was actually in charge of all the menswear, and if that made any sort of difference to the way people perceived the brand.

It seems like a lot of people feel very strongly about embracing an aspect of what they perceive as a designer's vision and even personality, which, to be honest, I find strange and even slightly frightening. I think embracing romance or fantasy is wonderful, and that it's the reason a lot of us consider ourselves hobbyists, or are interested in fashion at all, and that designers absolutely have a hand in creating that fantasy; but I'm skeptical of a) trying to wear things the way "the designer wanted them to be worn," and b) pretending that art is ultimately reflective of the artist, rather than the consumer of the arts (rather than partially so, and subsequently dependent on interpretation).

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

I know I'm going to drown out my jealousy-induced sorrow by buying some plebe second-hand/sample shit :( :(

I abase myself before the altar of GROUPSWAGTALK!!! All hail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Razele

Razele Senior member

IIRC I said something about lame basics being a waste of time to Regis ages ago, he just told me his mother likes Margiela and it fits his 'lifestyle' or something.

Dude just wants to label up, who really cares.

Your more likely to convince a brick wall to turn into a tree before you'd convince Regis of ANYTHING, why bother, he is here to share conspicuous consumption stories not legitimately discuss design and / or fashion conceptualisation.

14. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

15. bows1

bows1 Senior member

In 09 they said that he hadn't really been there for awhile.