Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Regis what's the point of designer lame basics realtalk

I live in 90+ degree weather almost year round and I have this laid back tropical island thing going and it compliments my personality very well. I Pretty much want quality, fit, and comfort.

2. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

cdg h+ wool suit from aw10

[​IMG]

3. Razele

Razele Senior member

If you want quality / fit / comfort your probably better off buying bespoke items and high end MC stuff rather then SW&D fanboi items

4. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

nice work steveo

5. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Ha, I'll eventually end up dressing like Alejandro Sosa...but I am only 22. Right now Raf/MMM/Jil size 38's are where the fit and comfort are, quality varies

6. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I live in 90+ degree weather almost year round and I have this laid back tropical island thing going and it compliments my personality very well. I Pretty much want quality, fit, and comfort.
    I've given up on expensive basics. Most have some nice subtle details, but if you're on a budget it's smarter (imo) to go with standout pieces complimented by cheaper basics no one else would be able to tell apart. As to sipang, I didn't really think highly of jackets with inner straps, but I've seen some really nice fits with them and now I'm a little jealous

7. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

If you want quality / fit / comfort your probably better off buying bespoke items and high end MC stuff rather then SW&D fanboi items

This makes no sense? How is a bespoke dress shirt more comfortable than a tank top?

8. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

nice work steveo
    thanks buddy! im kinda glad/sad that this one doesn't have a skull on the back [​IMG]

9. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Did you see what he bought? A MMM short sleeve and a MMM long sleeve both plain white dress shirts. Where did you get the idea we were talking about tank tops?

10. Razele

Razele Senior member

Please see kitakira's comment above, kthx

Completely agree with what kit said, I spend all my money on nice shoes / knits / outerwear, kop bespoke shirting, nice wool pants on deep sale (incotex / mabitex etc) and wear apc jeans in black / indigo raw in a few different fits, I wear white hanes t's, (beefy tagless 4 lifeee) and also kop some nice accessories ie scarves and some nice watches.

Dont really get all designer all day erry day lame basics

11. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

First, designers have access to fabrics that aren't available in cheaper options. I have a mmm button down that is the most comfortable shirt I own save for a toj button down (next level fabric). Also, the cut of margiela shirts is perfect For me and I assume Regis. Third, if you live in Florida or Texas like we do, you have about 8 months out of the year where layering is out of the question, so nice knits, blazers, coats stay in storage for the most part . Mmm makes some super thin shirts perfect for this climate. Lastly, he probably got them on sale, making the expense over bespoke minimal

12. Hkstyles

Hkstyles Senior member

Please see kitakira's comment above, kthx

Completely agree with what kit said, I spend all my money on nice shoes / knits / outerwear, kop bespoke shirting, nice wool pants on deep sale (incotex / mabitex etc) and wear apc jeans in black / indigo raw in a few different fits, I wear white hanes t's, (beefy tagless 4 lifeee) and also kop some nice accessories ie scarves and some nice watches.

Dont really get all designer all day erry day lame basics

for the most part, i think this is what 90% of SFers's fashion agenda looks like - buy cheap basic tees, and cash out on nice shoes/knits/outerwear. Some go a bit further and buy 200-300$ jeans even though a lot of them pretty much look like something you can buy at Levi's for half the price. Then there are the accessories and such...

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

First, designers have access to fabrics that aren't available in cheaper options. I have a mmm button down that is the most comfortable shirt I own save for a toj button down (next level fabric). Also, the cut of margiela shirts is perfect For me and I assume Regis. Third, if you live in Florida or Texas like we do, you have about 8 months out of the year where layering is out of the question, so nice knits, blazers, coats stay in storage for the most part . Mmm makes some super thin shirts perfect for this climate. Lastly, he probably got them on sale, making the expense over bespoke minimal
    What raz is saying is then why would you pay over what bespoke costs for expensive lame basics? MMM makes a lot of unique signature garments but when you bypass that design aspect there really is no point other than to look unspectacular or brag that you have margiela.

14. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Thanks for saving me the time. MMM is probably my #1, almost any piece that I want no one buys anyway and I get at a discount, I mean 200 is still a good sum of money, but better than 450.

I have gradually replaced all my basics (sans some asos t's) with my favorite brands. I still have Naked & famous and Wings + Horns stuff. I can probably get an MMM t at yoox for about 80 and that would last more than any basic t which costs maybe....30 for a pack of 3.

15. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

What raz is saying is then why would you pay over what bespoke costs for expensive lame basics? MMM makes a lot of unique signature garments but when you bypass that design aspect there really is no point other than to look unspectacular or brag that you have margiela.
    I respectfully disagree For me nothing looks nicer than a crisp fresh white BD. I don't want any crazy, unique design, I just want the shirt and I happen to like MMM. True no one else is going to care or notice that it is MMM, but I don't buy it to brag about it. (Unless you count posting it here)