1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

That's not what anyone is saying at all. Nobody's even saying you shouldn't buy stuff on sale. I got a few nice items on sale this year (truthfully, just 2030% off). But most of the Porter buys are pretty great examples of buying stuff because it's on a deep discount, not because it's desirable. It's no coincidence nobody was talking about ANY of these items until they were cut deeply.

2. London

London Senior member

3. sexonfabric

sexonfabric Senior member

4. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

I really like Mr. Porter and have bought a bunch of stuff from them, but I totally agree with Uncontrol. The sale, 80% off, was huge, but out of 15 pages or so, there really wasn´t a lot of great stuff. I mean, in the mr. porter awesomeness thread you can read many posts from people saying they bought this and that but they would probably return it. People just bought stuff for the sake of buying, because they could get something that was close to 1k from 200 something bucks, or shirts from 50 dollars, suits for 300 or 400. There´s some guys who, either don´t know how to tell their size when buying online, or simply don´t care and buy for, again, the sake of buying. And if after 200 purchases you don´t know your size, well, what can I tell you man....

5. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

people not in the royal air force shouldn't buy royal air force stuff imo

6. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Well yeah like I said everyone wants a good deal, not everyone can throw around $200

What I would like for someone to explain to me is how you can get that people buy it because it was on deep discount and as such not desirable for the aficionado, only for the person willing to spend on leftover scraps. For all I know some guy really wanted a Jil shirt and was just waiting for it to be in their price range

Edit: Never mind, It is what it is. Good for any of you that found something good

/done

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  7. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

At the end of the day no body cares how much you spend on your raf sneakers. If you think the item will sold out tomorrow, you'd better grab it.

I think most of people ignore the fact that they can return it and there's no risk, this is also a reason why people made the purchase.

It's their decision keep an item (either love the brand or just correct price). Brand whoring exist everywhere also applies to people buy full price item even the look horrible. Compare to and people buy it at discount, I'd say latter people made better decision. Because they just play brand whoring.

8. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

I still think most of people are getting items they want, they do get items they don't want but just because they can return.
    Designer price is way too high, there are people over there, like it, but cannot afford, or think not worth it.

9. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Although this might not have been targeted at me specifically I wanted to comment. I bought the RAF sweater because I liked it ever since the runway show. I wouldn't have bought it at full price, and didn't think I would get the chance to own it, but the sale made it possible. I guess it was from the Corner sale and not Mr Porter but same thing.

10. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Porter discount many stuff to 80% off, and designer stuff 70% off. The corner and Barney's, Park n Bond are doing very similar thing, not deep as porter's offering, but still, Rick Owens, and other designer stuff 70% off. I believe there are people there, buying junk from these website just because it's cheap.

But why people are criticizing porter so much?

11. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

DB post

12. BreezyBirch

fuck that aficionado crap - i was just trolling. if people feel like they can mindlessly cop stuff on deep discount when they normally wouldn't is fine imo - it's kind of gross consumption, and you really don't need to share everything you buy with the forum (it can be repulsive) - but it's the best way to make "mistakes" or figure out what you like, so that you don't feel like you've wasted a ton of cash on something that will just stay in your closet forever. i think most of the mega-mindless-copping comes from people newly into style(s) whom are finding out what they like as they go along. if they don't mind wasting money - or feel like it's not a waste (which is all that really matters, fuck other people's judgments on that) - then what's the bfd?

re stuff going on sale after buying at retail: imo when you drop a serious amount of money on a retail priced item, there usually (should) be some consideration put into the purchase, i.e. like would this piece go with my other stuff, does it work for me (or is it try-hard or just stupid?) etc, so that when it goes on sale, you don't really care if you missed out on the savings, because your "return" on something that you truly like and feel like you in is worth the perspective "loss" in money. eg i bought a jacket that was like 700 bucks or something, and it went on sale to half soon thereafter and i was like "oh snap...but really nbd because this thing is fuckin sick and i feel "swag as fuck" in it." high priced clothing is a rip off - if you get into it just because you think spending $$$ on stuff will make you all of a sudden confident/look good then that's fucking naive - or that you feel like you deserve to get your "money's worth." that's just asking for disappointment. that's not the point to cultivated personal style (but i guess you gotta start somewhere if you suck at it initially)

people who bitch about something going even more on sale after buying it on sale already are a bunch of wankers and should just stick to dad jeans and running sneakers.

2 people like this.
  13. BreezyBirch

also: the majority of stuff on mr porter is incredibly boring and bland. some killer stuff as well (or there was earlier in the season)

1 person likes this.
  14. sipang

sipang Senior member

Breezy4prezident

15. Teger

Teger Senior member

this mr porter hate is so fucking stupid. first, the reason I buy from mr porter at 80% off isn't because I'm not aware of those pieces until the sale, but because I can't afford them at full price. and people are complaining at items dropping a day after buying them because it's actually costing them money - would you just burn a $100 bill? throw $250 out the window? then maybe slow your fucking roll.

why are so many posters on SF sq4u now? who cares how much you spend on stuff? breezy you talk about conspicuous consumption, but i think the grossest example of that is threads with price point minimums...

1 person likes this.
  16. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

:teach::nodding:

(not like i bought anything at porter)

17. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

ok, but we're talking about people who are dropping anywhere from a grand to five grand (or more) on stuff that's 80% off. if you got something you like at 80% off, that's awesome. seriously.

this is absurd though. the point of a sale is to get rid of stock that has been around too long. when you buy an item, the size run decreases, making it even harder to sell the remaining stock -- not to mention that OF COURSE the price is gonna decrease the longer it's there! that's what a sale is, until it's final markdown. you have to weigh the risk of missing the item versus missing a better discount. of course, with stores like porter giving everyone price matches -- and they have the deep pockets to afford to do this -- it creates unreasonable expectations from shops.

18. Teger

Teger Senior member

sure there's always going to be people who buy impulsively because it's cheap, but luckily you can return for a full refund. and what bothers me is the tone of all these posts. it's not 'wow a lot of people are buying ugly stuff, slow your roll!' it's 'look at these plebes buying on sale, I only buy the most interesting and creative clothing at retail

19. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

i make considerably less than the average income here, so that's definitely not it from my side, anyway :eek: i wonder how many people will actually return their "great deals"?

it's the TONE of entitlement from porter customers that i find obnoxious. and those people will start holding other, smaller stores to those totally unreasonable expectations.

20. Teger

Teger Senior member

yea that can be annoying, but I also definitely feel where they're coming from - if I bought something for $1000 at 70% off, and it drops to 80%, then that's a $100. it's not chump change for me!

and i think that mr poter and park and bond are going to be the death of a lot of smaller retailers. in the past small boutiques could remain competitive by stocking rarer brands/more interesting pieces, but it seems the big retail outfits are casting a wider brand net.