1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Recent purchases - Part II

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by scott.m, Feb 1, 2010.

1. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

I think it's about personal style. I genuinely like most of stuff I got. I do admit there are some stuff I buy because it's cheap at that price. Between genuinely like an item but can only afford it at sale price and buying it just for the cheap price. How can you which one people are doing? For people with limited money to spend, lower price will make them think worth it because obviously their "price to value" ratio is higher.

I am newly into style, and most of my stuff are very safe, basic, and plain design. That might be another reason why I like porter's selection. I'm trying to buy different items just to try. Thanks for your opinion and being honest. :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. dnna1

dnna1 Senior member

3. sh0ebox

sh0ebox Senior member

@Unc: I'm a true US9 (41 in CP, 42 in MMM, etc.) and those butteros were a perfect fit for me in a 40. However those fuckers are really uncomfortable so if they are too big for you that might be a good thing. They could really use an insole.

4. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

A poster like Unc here just says whatever is on their minds to get a rise imho. No use in calling them idiots, trust me... they will just keep writing slop. What gets me wondering is the people that agree. Its an ongoing cycle, its boring!, no its not!

Anyways I bought one item in the Porter sale down from nearly 700 to 200. For anyone 200 can be a lot for a piece of clothing. I very much liked the item. Who doesn't like to get a good deal? Asking Porter for a further discount is kind of pushing it but again who doesn't want a good deal..

I find bondage pants/black boiled wool coats/over sized pants/ coats with "awesome" hems/ drop crotch/ leather/all black anything pretty bland and boring because they don't suit me, I would not enjoy wearing it, but I don't express that negativity every other post

Let that new Schneider go on sale at SW and watch the opposite happen, but its so much more exciting!

Also I dislike late plane arrivals

5. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Haha generally I find models with euro sizing run smaller than models with US sizing. I've worn 44 in some Euro shoes!! But my US sized shoes are 9 - 9.5.

6. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

:bounce2: Twinsies!! :bounce2:
    :fistbump:

I just picked a pair up off ebay for cheap. I'm a true US 12 and got them in 43. They fit, but I like my shoes snug, so most people would be fine going down 1 - 1.5 from their Brannock size. If you're going to use an insole, you'll probably want soft one; the instep is really narrow, and a stiff insole will spread the boot out horizontally at the medial arch. I'd say comfort level is around average for the boots I've owned. Leather upper is soft enough that it doesn't need much breaking in, but they'll probably be a bit more comfortable (and look better) once they've been beaten up a little so they soften and stretch in the right places.

The heel is a little on the high side, but I'm going to wear them around a while before I decide whether I want to get it reduced. The shaft is wide and tall enough that it isn't too hard to get them hem of my jeans (somewhere in the 7.2" range) over them, but it's a little hard to get the stacks back into place. Probably easier to either wear straight-leg jeans and have the hem fall naturally or wear skinny jeans and tuck.

fit pic:

[​IMG]

additional angles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

That heel isn't high at all. Leave it be.

Nervous about sizing now :s we will see.

8. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

The only problem I would anticipate is having extra room at the front of the toe. If you don't trip over your feet every time you wear shoes with an elongated toebox,* you should be fine.

* I do. :embar:

9. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I wear shoes with very long toeboxes already haha

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

i just got some butteros too, havent arrived yet. sized down to a 44 and hopefully they work.

11. APK

APK Senior member

God damn those look good. They're close to the W+H boot but probably without the agonizing pain that comes with walking in them.

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

i dropped .5 in my buttero

13. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

lol got negged -4 on sufu for posting those in RP, wtf

great forum

1 person likes this.
  14. APK

APK Senior member

Probably because you didn't spend your Asian parents' money on them.

2 people like this.
  15. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:

Yeah, I snagged a bunch of shit in my size but I think I'm returning almost everything. The sale was good for getting really high quality basics - I got a pair of margiela pants for like $70 which is an amazing deal (they just didn't fit quite right) - but nothing on Porter has ever struck me as a must-have.

16. Meis

Meis Senior member

This. Stuff wasn't exciting... I mean most exciting/interesting stuff in normal sizes was probably grabbed over a month ago when they did the 30%/50% sale. What it was good for was grabbing quality boring basics without having to drop much $$.

17. minelee

minelee Well-Known Member

woops

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  18. BB1

BB1 Senior member

But would you have bought the same item if its original price was $200 and it had never been marked down?

Many of those purchasing from the Mr. Porter sale appear to be buying items that they wouldn't otherwise buy. For example, posters who have never worn RAF are suddenly purchasing the RAF sneakers and coats that the actual RAF aficionados declined to buy. Buying the leftovers from labels that you don't understand or fully embrace rarely leads to good style.

Mr. Porter's sales are a funeral for their buyer's mistakes.

3 people like this.
  19. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

probably cuz i'm uncontrol

20. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Truthfully...yes, and thats not to just say the contrary. I buy 95% of my clothes at retail, yeah sometimes it sucks seeing that if I waited half a month I could of gotten a discount even though I have the $ it doesn't mean I have to buy retail every time. Sometimes I just get caught up in the "it will not be there tomorrow" mindset and I just buy it. I disagree with this idea that you and others are putting forth because hey its no secret I like Margiela, yet I could not care any less how Margiela or whoever said something is supposed to be worn because I wear it how Regis feels like wearing it wether it be retail or at a deep discount. I like this place its a nice place to discuss and whatnot but when I hear things like people don't understand or fully embrace a brand because they got it at discount and its impossible to look good it sounds pretty stupid to me. Most of the designers I buy from probably wear some levis and a white t all day, funny how if someone buys an item on Porter because its discounted its just seen as a boring piece they bought because it was somewhat cheaper, who cares man people have to start off somewhere if discounted RAF is that then by all means take advantage